Dealer Damages Pristine 2020 AMG GTA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 07:48 AM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi,

My personal opinion:

Point this out to a future buyer. Show disassembled car pictures. It's all ok.
I would perceive a car fax message as something "worse".

As long as damage can be repaired with normal tools (parts replaced) WITHOUT RESIDUE, it is not an "accident".

An exchanged NEW part that is professionally painted and assembled corresponds to the delivery condition.

Anyone who doubts this, has an "accident" even after the first inspection.
Screws were opened, parts (e.g. seals) were exchanged...... :-):-)

Best regards

Stenzel
The following users liked this post:
MalibuScott (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
The car was delivered to my house this afternoon and has been tucked away next to my other GT. I went over the paperwork and saw that the technician had adjusted my tire pressures to 36/39. I wrote my service rep and he said it was his oldest, most trusted technician and that he knew what he was doing. I sent a photo of the label on the inside of the fuel lid and got a mea culpa. I hope that when I drive the car the light doesn't come on telling me it's got an oil overfill. (It took me three years to train the service reps when I had my GT coupe that there was a specific way to change the oil; you'd think that now that there are so many 4 liter V8 AMGs that they would learn. But apparently the service techs can't be bothered to read the labels inside the fuel lids, so who knows what else they can't do right.)

The dealer will remain nameless. It was not a great A Service experience.
Scott,

I am not stating that the tyre pressures the tech set were correct, but there are generally two sets of tyre pressures recommended for German vehicles. The pressures you see on the fuel flap and/or the door area are generally those for high speed/high load circumstances, and then there are the lower pressures for lower speed, (generally less than 150kph iirc) and lighter loads, (2 people and a suitcase or two) that you’ll find in the owner’s manual.

It is the lower pressures that are the one’s we should be following for daily use, but again, you have to go looking for them. Is there a chance that the tech knows/believes that there are two different pressures available for the SL based on circumstances?

Bish
Old 08-16-2023, 04:19 PM

Received 676 Likes on 358 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by thebishman
Scott,

I am not stating that the tyre pressures the tech set were correct, but there are generally two sets of tyre pressures recommended for German vehicles. The pressures you see on the fuel flap and/or the door area are generally those for high speed/high load circumstances, and then there are the lower pressures for lower speed, (generally less than 150kph iirc) and lighter loads, (2 people and a suitcase or two) that you’ll find in the owner’s manual.

It is the lower pressures that are the one’s we should be following for daily use, but again, you have to go looking for them. Is there a chance that the tech knows/believes that there are two different pressures available for the SL based on circumstances?

Bish
Bish on my filler cap the label recommends 31/32 in two places, when driving the vehicle under 155 mph and when driving it under 149 mph. (Different tire sizes.) There are higher pressure recommendations for high speed driving (Autobahn, I assume) and for snow tires.

Dealers typically set the pressures high and I forgot to tell the service rep to set the pressures at 32/33 (1 lb. over), which I usually do.

A few years ago I picked up a new BMW M4 (pre SpongeBob Squarepants front end) and after the PPI the car was turned over to me with 45+ lbs pressure in all 4 tires. While California law now requires service departments to check and set tire pressures as part of any service (a supposed gas-saving thing), my experience is that the techs treat all cars of the same make the same and set them all without regard to what the label tells them to do.

PS: GT, not SL.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 08-16-2023 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Tpyo
thebishman (08-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 646 Likes on 481 Posts
MB
Bish on my filler cap the label recommends 31/32 in two places, when driving the vehicle under 155 mph and when driving it under 149 mph. (Different tire sizes.) There are higher pressure recommendations for high speed driving (Autobahn, I assume) and for snow tires.

Dealers typically set the pressures high and I forgot to tell the service rep to set the pressures at 32/33 (1 lb. over), which I usually do.

A few years ago I picked up a new BMW M4 (pre SpongeBob Squarepants front end) and after the PPI the car was turned over to me with 45+ lbs pressure in all 4 tires. While California law now requires service departments to check and set tire pressures as part of any service (a supposed gas-saving thing), my experience is that the techs treat all cars of the same make the same and set them all without regard to what the label tells them to do.

PS: GT, not SL.
Another thing to note when buying a car is that the dealer might set the pressure differently from the labels on the car (lower for added comfort to the test driver). I always check the air pressure when test driving a vehicle and compare it to the vehicle labels.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
MalibuScott (08-16-2023), user33 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 04:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2022 G63, 2023 GLA 45S
I hope that when I drive the car the light doesn't come on telling me it's got an oil overfill. (It took me three years to train the service reps when I had my GT coupe that there was a specific way to change the oil; you'd think that now that there are so many 4 liter V8 AMGs that they would learn. But apparently the service techs can't be bothered to read the labels inside the fuel lids, so who knows what else they can't do right.)
My dealer is batting 1000 on the oil overfill light...had to go back after each of two oil changes...then again, I am in the Dominican Republic and we tend to be pretty good at baseball so I shouldn't be surprised.
MalibuScott (08-16-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 02:08 PM

Received 381 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
... I am putting a lift in garage ... any suggestions on home lifts?
I did an in-floor install using an Atlas Kwik Bay 7000 scissor lift. I don't have enough height for a full-height lift and don't have enough room for a post-style lift.

I created a separate thread to explain what I did. Hopefully it'll be of some use to someone.
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8833315

Last edited by user33; 08-19-2023 at 05:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by user33:
AMG 17GT (08-19-2023), sjp3003 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 03:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W204 C63 P30 / C190 GT S
I have instructed the dealer and the repair shop not to make a report to CarFax. If one is made I will be seeking additional compensation. When I made the deal that I discuss above I did not give the dealership a release. If the dealership (or its agent, the repair shop) does me further damage, I will seek further compensation. I hope they follow my instructions.

I will add that as I was driving over, formulating my demand, I thought about asking for an extended warranty for 3 years when mine expires. But I thought that was a little too greedy.
Keep in mind that Carfax might have a delay in reporting. I do not know the exact delay, but I'm sure it can be sometimes months before they report a service or an incident. I would check later on just to be sure.
I am really sorry you have to go through this, as you said a nightmare. I absolutely hate arriving to a dealership where the 'valet' people do not treat the cars with respect. Do not follow instructions like covering the seats and carpets. Do not drive carefully as if the know what the car means to us.

When I enter a car and (mine or other people's cars), I am careful. Let alone if I would work in the service industry of cars, I would be even more cautious. People who do this as their job should be trained on how to treat customers and their vehicles with respect. It's really infuriating when you are at a dealer and see valets or technicians driving recklessly and carelessly other people's pride and joy, and in many cases the most expensive single expense other than your home.
MalibuScott (08-20-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
I have instructed the dealer and the repair shop not to make a report to CarFax. If one is made I will be seeking additional compensation. When I made the deal that I discuss above I did not give the dealership a release. If the dealership (or its agent, the repair shop) does me further damage, I will seek further compensation. I hope they follow my instructions.

I will add that as I was driving over, formulating my demand, I thought about asking for an extended warranty for 3 years when mine expires. But I thought that was a little too greedy.
I agree with you and would have done the same thing (FWIW)!
Enjoy it — I tell myself this often: no car is perfect and sh~t happens. I just had my GTC in to replace a faulty seat ventilation switch in the headliner (mine is coupe). I trust the technician immensely (I only see him), so it’s not his fault, but the headliner is no longer perfectly aligned with the switches… Not a big deal, but it still sucks. Anyway, not to get off topic…
Old 08-26-2023, 04:02 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Originally Posted by Surge
I agree with you and would have done the same thing (FWIW)!
Enjoy it — I tell myself this often: no car is perfect and sh~t happens. I just had my GTC in to replace a faulty seat ventilation switch in the headliner (mine is coupe). I trust the technician immensely (I only see him), so it’s not his fault, but the headliner is no longer perfectly aligned with the switches… Not a big deal, but it still sucks. Anyway, not to get off topic…
And you accepted it like that? LOL great tech, hope you tipped him,lol
Old 08-26-2023, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 57 GTR
And you accepted it like that? LOL great tech, hope you tipped him,lol
Can’t do much about it- it’s the way the part is designed.
I don’t care who you are, you are not getting the switches back in perfectly if you take them out. But it’s not noticeable unless you look extremely closely. For all I know, it was like this from the factory as well. I didn’t inspect it carefully until it was replaced.
My point was: as the cars age and you use them, sh-t happens. And in many cases, even the best tech will not be able to put it back exactly the way it was.

Can you tone down the sarcasm? I don’t care for it, and I don’t think anyone else does either.

Last edited by Surge; 08-26-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 57 GTR
LOL Carfax is the least of your troubles; You just told every subscriber to this forum that your car was damaged. If you were really smart you wouldn't have posted anything and just had the dealership fix it like they did. Are you really a loi-r ?
Nothing but worthless comments from this guy… +1 to ignore list!
Old 08-26-2023, 05:08 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
but the headliner is no longer perfectly aligned with the switches…
So, you're saying it was like that before you brought it in? Sorry if the truth stings....