Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How do I make it black again???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 07:10 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
Question How do I make it black again???

When I switched from my winter to my summer wheels a couple of months ago, I tried to clean the inner part of the fenders (I don't know the english word for it, but what I'm talking about is the black plastic covers on the inside of the fenders :o ) with just every product I could find in my garage, from regular soap thru some vinyl cleaning stuff to chemical degreaser... However I didn't manage to get it clean at all. It's not black but still brownish and it don't look too good.

How do I do to make this "supposed to be black" plastic beeing black again??

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2002, 08:56 AM
BPD

96' 500SL
Making it black again

Best advice I can give is to use a mans second best friend next to duct tape.....spray paint. I have found the same frustration and will use a can of "flat black" spray paint. A gloss paint only fades too quickly.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:21 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Spray paint? Doesn't sounds like very good idea to my ears... However, I posted a copy of this thread in the C-class forum, and got several good suggestions on how to make it black again. Check it out!

Cheers!

Last edited by DtS; 06-24-2002 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Mix some simple green and water in a spray bottle (50/50) mix. Soak the wheelwells(that is the name for it) with the mixture thouroughly, let stand about 10 minutes, then respray the area and scrub with a slightly rough bristled tire brush and then rinse. This should clean the area, then follow up with your favorite plastic protectant if you like. I recommend taking off the wheels and tires to do this.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:27 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by AlBoston
Mix some simple green and water in a spray bottle (50/50) mix. Soak the wheelwells(that is the name for it) with the mixture thouroughly, let stand about 10 minutes, then respray the area and scrub with a slightly rough bristled tire brush and then rinse. This should clean the area, then follow up with your favorite plastic protectant if you like. I recommend taking off the wheels and tires to do this.
Thanks alot for your reply. Yes! Wheelwells it is! I'll try out your suggested procedure (wich I think will work perfectly given the way your cars look ) but I think I let the wheels stay on.

Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2002, 07:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by AlBoston
For plastic protectant use Armorall, use lots of it, that should get it black.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:11 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by pocholin

For plastic protectant use Armorall, use lots of it, that should get it black.
Thanks for the advice! (Hope this Armorall-stuff is to find in Sweden...)
Old 06-24-2002, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
actually I would avoid using armorall especially if you are going to leave the tires on... it contains silicone oil which is bad for rubber and plastics and dries them out over time, turning them brown. Here are some wheel wells that were scrubbed down with the mixture i was telling you about.

Old 06-24-2002, 11:54 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Thumbs up

Absolutely amazing AlBoston!

So is that a Saab 9-5? Is it yours? (Kinda curious since I see lots of Saabs on the roads here in Sweden)

Old 06-24-2002, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
nah not my saab. A good friend of mine owns it and uses all the same detailing techniques I use. We are all part of a detailing discussions forum www.autopia-carport.com check it out for some great advice.