Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Wood trim questions and ZAINO PICS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Wood trim questions and ZAINO PICS

My wood trim's clear coat is moderately scratched and i'm looking for a way to repair it. I wasnt thinking so much about it until i figured out how to get the wooden panels of the centre console and now im wanting to take care of it. Any input would be great, apparently Griots garage makes a nice hand polish that i saw TOGWT recommend in an earlier thread. I have a porter cable buffer, if that could be of any use with a light polishing pad. Im new to this as far as interior trim goes but ive done my share of swirl mark removal on paint, although i doubt the two surfaces have much in common. Let me know what products and methods you recommend.
Also, here are some of my most recent Zaino Pics. These are after my correction of my previous mess where i had oily spots on the hood because i didnt dawn wash after polishing. This is dawn wash, Meguiars stage 1 paint cleaner (removed visible oils left by dawn wash), 2 coats of Z5, 2 coats of Z2. Its dirty now but im going to zymol it soon, should i have any problems with the zymol over zaino?

Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
looking nice. what do you mean by dawn wash?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:04 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
looking nice. what do you mean by dawn wash?
Use the detergent "Dawn" mix with water and wash it. Before Zaino apply, we need to remove all wax and other stuff on the car first.

Cheers,
hlkc
Old 04-26-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
I don't get this

King320, I don't get this one:

"Also, here are some of my most recent Zaino Pics. These are after my correction of my previous mess where i had oily spots on the hood because i didnt dawn wash after polishing."

I thought you dawn washed before using any Zaino, why would you do it afterwards, seems like it would take away your efforts?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Switch to Menzerna polishes and you won't have as many problems with the oils. Meguiars is LOADED with oils which I think give a false impression of removing swirls when it is just filling with oils which will need to be removed with 50/50 alchohol and water or with a dawn wash before Zainoing.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by StephenK
King320, I don't get this one:

"Also, here are some of my most recent Zaino Pics. These are after my correction of my previous mess where i had oily spots on the hood because i didnt dawn wash after polishing."

I thought you dawn washed before using any Zaino, why would you do it afterwards, seems like it would take away your efforts?
You're right, but around thanksgiving i used a series of mildly abrasive polishes (not zaino) and a random orbital buffer to remove the swirls that were in the paint when i bought the car. After doing this i zainoed without dawn washing, which would have removed the oils that the polishes left on the car. Since i didnt get these oils off the zaino did not bond correctly to the paint and the oils began resurfacing over the zaino especially on the hood. It produced several oddly shaped oily hazy spots on the hood that would not come off with regular washing, so i was forced to wash with dawn and remove the zaino and everything. Even this didnt get the oils off so i used a meguiars paint cleaner on the trouble spots (made for removing tar, sap, etc) and that did the trick. I then reapplied what you see in the pictures above.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
? on Zaino and SL600

After seeing Zaino on my old sl, I want to do it on the SL600. Just a few weeks ago I used the Mercedes Paint Cleaner and Paint Care products on the 600, so technically it has just been waxed, with the Zaino applications it could look better than it looks now. Will one washing with DAWN be enough to remove the recent wax or do I need to do something else so I don't have any problems.

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by StephenK
After seeing Zaino on my old sl, I want to do it on the SL600. Just a few weeks ago I used the Mercedes Paint Cleaner and Paint Care products on the 600, so technically it has just been waxed, with the Zaino applications it could look better than it looks now. Will one washing with DAWN be enough to remove the recent wax or do I need to do something else so I don't have any problems.

Thanks for any help and guidance.
A dawn wash or 50/50 alchohol water wipe down will be fine. Put your hand in a baggie and rub the paint to see if it feels rough and needs claying first.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:44 PM

2000 E320 Sedan
sweeeet lucking dude. Very nice.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by agentf1
A dawn wash or 50/50 alchohol water wipe down will be fine. Put your hand in a baggie and rub the paint to see if it feels rough and needs claying first.
Question - last week I clay barred my C43 and then waxed it with Mothers.I am going to buy my Zaino this week.Would you re-clay bar the car again ( the car has only been driven 30 miles since ) or would you just Dawn wash te car and proceed with the application ?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGC43
Question - last week I clay barred my C43 and then waxed it with Mothers.I am going to buy my Zaino this week.Would you re-clay bar the car again ( the car has only been driven 30 miles since ) or would you just Dawn wash te car and proceed with the application ?
You will be ok with the clay treatment you've just done. claying removes the bonded contaminants that have worked their way into the paint, so you dont really need to clay again, dawn washing only serves to dissolve the wax already on the car and get you down to fresh paint for the zaino application. I clay one or two times a year, also try to keep dawn washing to an absolute minimum since its rougher than normal washing. I dont do it unless im re-applying zaino, which happens only twice a year..this stuff looks great and last a LONG time.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:56 PM

1998 honda civic lx
sweet ride King320. i saw on another post that you said your hood has slight imperfections you'd like to fix. let us know how that goes if you get it repainted. maybe before/after pics my hood has some of those things too. in the meantime, i can't see the little imperfections very well, but i CAN see absolutely everything in the background reflected perfecting. good job with the zaino. post picks after you clean it again and zymol it
Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by King320
You will be ok with the clay treatment you've just done. claying removes the bonded contaminants that have worked their way into the paint, so you dont really need to clay again, dawn washing only serves to dissolve the wax already on the car and get you down to fresh paint for the zaino application. I clay one or two times a year, also try to keep dawn washing to an absolute minimum since its rougher than normal washing. I dont do it unless im re-applying zaino, which happens only twice a year..this stuff looks great and last a LONG time.
Thank you.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Bump

Any info on that interior trim polish? Togwt, i know you're out there somewhere