Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

The Dreaded Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E-500
Red face The Dreaded Brake Dust

I finally was able to purchase the Michelin Brake Dust Repellent after weeks of checking at Auto Zone. This is the final "step" of the three new products offered by Michelin [cleaner, tire dressing and brake dust repellent])
Apparently the demand for this new product is very heavy. It has been one week since I applied the repellent and there is a noticeable improvement. It is not 100%, but much better. It is very simple to apply and the cost is $5.95 if you can find it. The other products I have seen are much more expensive and do not claim to "repell" dust.

Will update when I next wash the car to determine if, as stated, the cleaning of the remaining dust is easier. This really has the potential of saving me from being compelled to clean the wheels every other day.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
been a while, how has it worked?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 PM

2003 CLK 320
i'm interested too..
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
i applied it and its worked out well. product well worth its price. i put it on my drivers side wheels and not on the passenger side. there is a difference but more from eye view. i have tried various views but can't seem to capture it. maybe when more brake dust comes out, it will be more noticeable. can you tell which one has it and which one doesn't? i only applied one this coat btw. maybe i should have done 2?
Attached Thumbnails The Dreaded Brake Dust-driver-front.jpg   The Dreaded Brake Dust-passenger-front.jpg  
Old 06-15-2005, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
the pictures also don't do justice also because one side is facing the sun and the other is in the shade. next time, ill take the picture, then turn the car around.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:58 AM

2004 E55 AMG
On rims...

Eagle One A2Z + lots of scrubbing.

That'll take care of most of the brake dust, you might still have some specks left behind.

Then I'll use a wool pad and Meguiars DACP.

If it still doesn't come out, there's nothing you can do except have the rim refinished.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
ouch... wool pad? im guessing you don't have a chrome finish. there must bajillions of swirls on your wheels. i have some too.. any way to get them out?? NXT all metal polish??
Old 06-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
ouch... wool pad? im guessing you don't have a chrome finish. there must bajillions of swirls on your wheels. i have some too.. any way to get them out?? NXT all metal polish??
[b]Cleaning Chrome Wheels:[b]
Once the brake dust has been removed polish wheel surfaces with Happich Simichrome Polish and then apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. A polymer is recommended as it has a higher melting temperature (350oF) compared to Carnauba wax (180oF) a wheel surface will reach a temperature in excess of 120oF due to rotor friction and in excess of 195oF when parked in the sun.

P21S Polishing Soap is a solid, clay-based (Kaolin) polish that applies with its own sponge. Simply wet the sponge with water, draw it across the Polishing Soap, and squeeze the sponge to create lather and begin polishing and then rinse with clean water.

Note: P21S Polishing Soap is not intended for use on painted, clear coated or anodized surfaces.

Methodology:
•Thoroughly rinse wheels to remove any loose surface dirt or dust, remove imbedded brake dust with detailer’s clay
•Remove surface brake dust with a 100% acid-free and neutral pH wheel cleaner (P21S Wheel Cleaner) Agitate with a soft boar’s hair wheel brush and rinse with low-pressure clean water
•To remove very fine scratches use talcum powder and a damp cloth, for heavier scratches use a mildly abrasive polish (P21S Polishing Soap or Muti-Surface Finish or Wendol Red or Blue) Autogeek
•If necessary use a polish to restore the lustre of polished chrome (Happich Simichrome Polish) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating, remove residue with a clean, dry micro fibre towel. Simichrome polish is a non-toxic paste that applies easily and will not scratch.
•Use a one-step product (Zoopseal or Klasse All-In-One) to provide both cleaning and long-term polymer protection; this will also make future cleaning easier. Apply with a damp applicator; remove residue with a clean, dry micro fibre towel, and finally buff surface to a shine.

Maintenance- remove brake dust with car wash concentrate or P21S Wheel Cleaner (dependant on how soiled the wheel surface is) AIO or Zoopseal should only require renewal twice per year
JonM
Old 06-18-2005, 09:30 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
Of course I don't finish with the wool pad...

After the wool pad is a foam cutting pad + scratch/swirl remover (I like Poorboy's World SSR 2.5)

Then on top of that, foam polishing pad + Poorboy's World SSR 1 (less aggressive than than the 2.5)

And to finish off, foam polishing pad + polish.

I don't like to wax wheels because wax tends to have a slight 'stickyness' to it and will attract a lot more dust. A polished finish will be hard and smooth, so stays clean a little longer.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Wheels

You could always take the wheels off, clean/ polish the metal, tape off the rubber and clearcoat the exposed metal.

Follow that up with a good polymer sealant. It will be lots easier to clean in the future.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:46 PM

Have used the Michelin stuff, and found that there was a marginal improvement. Not earth shattering. And, for me, not enough to justify buying the product again.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:50 PM

C230K
I've got to get me some of that Michelin Brake Dust Repellent !!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Looking for a new toy.
One thing I've noticed with the SLK55 is the crazy amount of dust from the pads AMG uses in their brake upgrade - and the multi spoke wheels are a royal ***** to clean. So I tried the Michelin product...

http://www.pylonhq.com/michelin/bdr.htm

...and it has REALLY cut down on the amount of dust that sticks to the wheels. I don't mind washing and cleaning the car, but I HATE doing wheels!

This product does indeed work pretty good. A lot easier and less time consuming than waxing the wheels too!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
One thing I've noticed with the SLK55 is the crazy amount of dust from the pads AMG uses in their brake upgrade - and the multi spoke wheels are a royal ***** to clean. So I tried the Michelin product...

http://www.pylonhq.com/michelin/bdr.htm

...and it has REALLY cut down on the amount of dust that sticks to the wheels. I don't mind washing and cleaning the car, but I HATE doing wheels!

This product does indeed work pretty good. A lot easier and less time consuming than waxing the wheels too!
Way to revive a thread that's over one year old Working on your whorin' are ye now? Gotta get that post count over 31, eh?

EDJ
Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Actually I used that wonderful, often overlooked function called "Search" *L*
Old 08-22-2006, 02:23 PM

2007 C230 Sport manual
I for one am grateful for the advice, as brake dust is a pain. Thank you for the information.