Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What products does everyone recommend for detailing NEW benz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What products does everyone recommend for detailing NEW benz?

Whats up everyone? I am proud to say I finally ordered my first new car CLK500 in white exterior and gray interior. Since its my first new car I was wondering what products everyone recommends as far as car washing to waxing to engine detailing to interior to EVERYTHING. I have been reviewing the forum and I think Zainos and Klasse are my best bets, however I would like to get some feedback from all you guys. I need advice on everything starting from should I wash the car as soon as I get it to what I should use on the tires and rims and everything inbetween. THanks for all you advice.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I use Zaino and HIGHLY recommend their products. Klasse is a great product as well. You can't go wrong either way. Just prep the surface right and take your time.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The paint is cured by the time you receive your car. The first time you wash it use dish soap to remove the wax the dealer used when prepping the car. Better yet, don't let them wax it. If you wash the car often, use a car shampoo on your wheels. I use Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash. If the brake dust build up use Simple Green. Try waxing the wheels to keep the brake dust from sticking. I have some Zaino stuff for the tires, but haven't used it yet. I probably will try it this weekend.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by awiner
I use Zaino and HIGHLY recommend their products. Klasse is a great product as well. You can't go wrong either way. Just prep the surface right and take your time.
I too HIGHLY recommend Zaino! You can also use the polish on your wheels which will help make removing the brake dust a bit easier. Best advise is too read the directions of what ever product you use, and to take your time.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:32 PM

2001 CLK 320
Detailing

For detailing wheels I highly recommend P21S. It is a German product that comes in both regular and extra strength. I always keep the extra strength on hand just in case. They have expanded their line into things like polish and wax, but I haven't had a chance to use either yet. Both are bound to be good.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Almost a Member!

I have used both Zaino and Klasse in the past and dont have enough good things to say about Zaino. Sal Zaino is extremely helpful and stands by his products.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
definitely give Zaino a shot, I highly recommend it. It will provide you with an awesome shine and butter smooth finish for months.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:40 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
I use Sonax products (mostly because there is no place to buy Zaino's products in Sweden) and I'm very happy with the results.

Anybody else familiar with Sonax? Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2002, 02:18 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
Zaino.....that little bottle of wax does an amazing job!
Old 08-04-2002, 02:23 AM

SL 500
congrats on the new ride

Paint is by far the most precious thing on your ride which can succomb to the pitfalls of everyday driving. I got my CLK a few months back and learned of www.stoneguard.com. and learned bout it. It's basically a paint protectant 3M film which protects from bumpers,mirrors for road debris, chips, and rocks.

I just got it professionally done on my ride today. It's a transparent film made for life and it never will crack, turn yellow and wont hurt your paint. It's pricey but well worth the investment.

For literature go their website and to go a Ferrari 360 with it,
check out http://www.stongardgeorgia.com/

djamer
Old 08-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Almost a Member!

First things first. STAY AWAY FROM PEP BOYS AND OTHER CAR CENTER PRODUCTS. THEY JUST DON'T WORK! IF THEY DO, ITS NOT WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT.

My first few jobs before college were detailing cars and I am a regular fanatic with my own, which gets washed and waxed at least once a week.

First, disregard the comment earlier in this thread that stated you should use dish detergent to was your new car to get the wax off that the dealer has used. That's completely rediculous and I would love to here the reason behind this madness! This soap if used incorrectly can leave streaks. Another common misconception is to use baby shampoo. Tried it - it doesn't work, it left stains that had to be compounded out.

I have used a wide variety of products and have provided a list of some of the essential products that I believe are a must have. Most of the products I use come from a company called Tri-State Production that supplies professional detail shops, which I don't believe is on the web and is located near Philadelphia).

Car wash - I use the car soap from Ardex (also near PHL and supplies professional detail centers). It has the ability to get dirt off the car with minimal stripping of the wax.

Drying - I use the Absorber. Found in many local auto centers, I find it works better than other products. The Absorber actually works better after it has been broken it.

Wheels - I use stuff called Break Away by Production. It is not acid and will not eat away the clear coat. If you wash your car often you should not need anything. Simple Green eats the clear coat so do not use.

Wax - If you wish to use a paste wax I suggest Carnuba made by production. It is a good protectant and is easy to use. Taking it off is relatively quick as it does not smear or cake up.

Wax - If you wish to use a liquid wax I suggest Hand Glaze by 3M or Carnuba by Production. Production's version is much easier to remove but 3M's product produces a better shine.

Wax - If you just washed your car and don't have the time to wax it or just waxed it any want to get rid of all the dust use the Spray Wax by 3M. It works great especially for black cars.

Polish - Meguire's Hand Glaze is great. It smears a bit when you remove it, but a quick touch of the spray wax above leaves an awsome shine.

Clay - If your car feels gritty or dirty or even has overspray on it. You need to get a clay bar. This stuff is amazing! It looks like playdoe and should be used in conjunction with a spray wax. It removes any tar, grit, overspray that is on your paint. Your car will feel as smooth as a baby's ***. So the next time your detail shop tells you your car needs to be buffed, it probably doesn't.

Tire Dressing - Production makes a product called Speedy which works great but getts all over the place - especially on dark cars. Black Magic, found in Pep Boys provides the most shine but it just doesn't come off. So it starts to get all caked up on your wheels and looks nasty.

As far as Zainos, I never used it. Zymol produces a good shine but its a b_tch to use.

Last edited by MPM77; 08-06-2002 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:53 AM

CLK55
Z A I N O