Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

spots on windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spots on windshield

Windshield is clear under sunny conditions! However, during a sun-shower a ghosting effect of what appears as dried rain-drops appears over the entire windshield. Visibility is reduced. Has anyone shared this experience? If so, what action did you take? The Factory Representative washed the windshield with BON-AMI. We await a rainstorm to see if it works. Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I've got the same thing. Looks like an inkblot test evertime there's rain. I've also got the problem that my windshield was replaced already with a stock unit, but not by a dealer. I'll have to try the serious cleanser thing on it eventually.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
i had this same problem until i did the stoners + newspaper treatment. it took me 3-4 coats of this stuff to clean the windshielf, sunroof and rear windows; the side windows were clean in 1-2 coats.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:36 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
I have something similar that has yet to go away, but it is not nearly as bad. It is one drop on the windshield, one on the sunroof, and one on the rear window. It's almost like it was under something that dripped a corrosive or discoloring chemical onto it. It's been there since I've had the car.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We don't have rain here but if you really want to clean your windows well try Bar Keepers Friend. It's available at the supermarket. It's very strong but Crank & Chrome recommends it as a once a year thing to really get any stuck on bugs or chemical fallout or acid rain residue.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:36 PM

2002 C240
Re: spots on windshield

Originally posted by c240-miami
Windshield is clear under sunny conditions! However, during a sun-shower a ghosting effect of what appears as dried rain-drops appears over the entire windshield. Visibility is reduced. Has anyone shared this experience? If so, what action did you take? The Factory Representative washed the windshield with BON-AMI. We await a rainstorm to see if it works. Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Yup, I've posted this previously that a service bulletin for bimmers recommend Bon Ami to clean the windshield and to prevent the wipers from streaking and squeling.

I first tried Stoners Invisible Glass, and although it helped a bit, the effects were not lasting. I then applied Bon Ami, followed by RainX.

Winshield wipes clean and water beads off nicely. Don't know if it was the Bon Ami, Rain X, or Both. Tried the Castrol spray on stuff and it didn't perform as well.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 C240
c240 miami... post a pic of ur car... i wanna see a fellow miamian's 240... maybe i'll see you around town
Old 08-02-2002, 04:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Those spots are usually created by "acid rain", on polluted cities when pollution starts accumulating (you don't need to see it) and rain starts comming down, rain is bringing the pollution down with it, it hits your winshield and car and those spots are developed. Most people don't clean the windows as much as they clean their car body. What to do to clean the spots, the best would be to polish the window, then wash it really good (to remove the polish). I know it sounds weird, but I'm from Mexico City I've seen and done this many times down there.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
We don't have rain here but if you really want to clean your windows well try Bar Keepers Friend. It's available at the supermarket. It's very strong but Crank & Chrome recommends it as a once a year thing to really get any stuck on bugs or chemical fallout or acid rain residue.
Bar Keeper Friend works real good too for removing stubborn water deposits from the glass areas. Like when some numbskull truns their sprinklers on and they just happen to be so out of adjustment the water ends up all over your car.