Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

could u really have a swirl free car ??!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:17 AM
M.J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
Post could u really have a swirl free car ??!!!

i call my dealer and I told him to not prepare my car ( since that i saw all the prepared car have swirl ) but think of it again can you really have a car with out swirl and keep it like this !!!! i have prepared my wax and i decided to use the following :
1- Wash with dawn
2- cleaner wax ( maguiars )
3- nxt liquid wax ( maguiars )
4-maybe try to use spray wax after it

i will be preparing my car back home using meguiars gold class micofiber towels and some applicators. but i belive that even if i prepare it back home i will still have swirl. even with all these product. but since that i never owned a black car and i am not that expert with waxes and other stuff ( just started before 3 month ago ) i am really open for sugestions and comments on what i just wrote .
Old 02-09-2006, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
It's possible, but you have to be extra careful each time you come in contact with your car. Sometimes the cause of swirls migt not even be your fault. Look at all the steps you're taking. In between, who knows what airborne particle will land on your paint that'll eventually mar it, or even how clean your applicators are. Just keep your tools clean be extra careful.

Give Zaino a try. Also, what are you using to wash the car with? A sponge or a mitt?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 AM
M.J

i will be washing it using the meguiars golden class microfiber towels ! what do you think ? and how about meguiars cleaner wax ???! did u try it before ? . as for zaino product i coldn't order any from outside since that they told me it is not allowed to ship outside the u.s ,that way i went to meguiars since it available over here , i didn't give up on zaino though i have some of my friends traveling to the u.s in summer i already ask them to order it. for now i will be using meguiars my cls is arriving at the end of the month. and I try to be very clear with the dealer TO NOT PREPARE IT.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
M.J.
I would hold off on detailing your car right after delivery. You shouldn't treat your car with any type of abrasive/cleaner/polish for at least a month after delivery as the paint needs to continue to "cure". Some say 1 month, some say as much as three... I'd give it at least 3-4 weeks.

Dave

Last edited by Dave OH; 02-09-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:51 AM
M.J

but it wont gonna be waxed since that i will stop the mercedes agency from waxing it and cleaning it . do u think that i should only wash it with some quality car wash soap ??

by the way the car will be shipped for 20 day untill it reach here don'tu think it will be enoughf ?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Dave OH
M.J.
I would hold off on detailing your car right after delivery. You shouldn't treat your car with any type of abrasive/cleaner/polish for at least a month after delivery as the paint needs to continue to "cure". Some say 1 month, some say as much as three... I'd give it at least 3-4 weeks.

Dave
That is incorrect, the paint is cured before it leaves the factory... also it takes about 3-8 weeks to get to the dealer after it is built (depending on USA location). Also often times the cars are polished before they even get to you.

And also MJ,
in my opinion it doesn't sound like you quite have the experience yet to maintain a car swirl free. Washing a vehicle with towels can be very risky, I prefer a sheepskin washmitt or microfiber wash mitt (only certain kinds with thick piles). Washing the car is where the swirl marks develop, it can also be cause by poor toweling techniques and low quality materials. If you are using NXT there is absolutely no need to subject your paint finish to the harshness of DAWN soap. Personally I would just wash it with a car wash soap using a sheepskin mitt, dry with a cotton bath towel or waffleweave microfiber, and wax with NXT (i dont really like that wax, but if thats all u have), and then buff off with a quality microfiber towel... do not apply the wax heavily, the thinner the better.

To answer the thread question, both of my cars (CL is not mine )are pretty swirl free... it is difficult to have a swirl free daily driver (pre nano paint).

Old 02-09-2006, 02:38 PM
M.J

but i thought that meguaires gold class microfiber is better than anything else ( microfiber towels ) it seems like you know more ,would u please advice what should i use and which brand ,so i can make the order now .
for washing and drying and removing wax i was planning to use microfibers towels ( meguiars golden class )
and for applying the wax i would use the meguiars applicator.

can you please advice me what shoud i change and which brand are u using .
Old 02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=M.J]i will be washing it using the meguiars golden class microfiber towels ! what do you think ?QUOTE]

Well, well. I'm sooooooo sorry if I didn't know what you were using to wash with.

Use a sheepskin wash mitt (as Kar don) suggested, wipe with a MF towel (Meguiar's Gold Class is fine), and when applying wax, instead of using the spong Gold Class applicator, get a MF applicator pad just to be on the safe side. And yes, I use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax all the time for my vehicles, and bring nothing but great results each time, so don't freak out over it. Afterall, it's only a car. By the way, I heard waffle-weave MF towels are also great for all purpose use.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:18 PM
M.J

oh yeah i already have the MF wash mitt that kar don but in the washing thread but they are made in korea !!!!! and after i saw them i really don't know if they are that good ,MBE55AMG where can i get the mf applicator ? and what about these korea wash mitt did u try them ?

Last edited by M.J; 02-09-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M.J
oh yeah i already have the MF wash mitt that kar don but in the washing thread but they are made in korea !!!!! and after i saw them i really don't know if they are that good ,MBE55AMG where can i get the mf applicator ? and what about these korea wash mitt did u try them ?
The MF applicators can be found in any auto store... I don't know how auto stores in Kuwait are managed, but of course can be ordered online at http://meguiars.com/estore/product_d....cfm?sku=X3080

Korean wash mitt... hmm, I just don't trust those cheaply made products from foreign countries, especially when it comes to MF products. USA grade is best, almost all the time.