Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

3m clear bra install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Gallardo, Turbo, SLK 55, E350 4Matic, Xterra
3m clear bra install?

anyone put one on? i just ordered mine off on-line for $180 for XL with DVD instructions.

any tips?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
3M Company, Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film

Ensure that there are no surface imperfections before installation. It is important to remember that paint protection film application is not considered to be a do-it-yourself project. For best results, professional application is recommended. Clean and maintain its surface with ( Z-8 Grand Finale™ Spray Seal) or a plastic cleaner (Plexus® Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish) start at the centre and work outwards, do not use a foam pad / rotary buffer / abrasive compound on the plastic surface.

To remove minor scratches in the film, tape the edges of the auto mask when polishing the vehicles paint, use a high speed buffer (white foam pad only) and lightly glaze over the material. It is important not to apply a lot of pressure to the film as this may lead to burning of the surface. Use a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol to clean out the edge (See also http://www.mmm.com)

Alternative products- As an optically clear product (recommended) http://www.invisiblepatterns.com
X-Pel UK Area Dealers- http://www.xpel.com/products/dealersearch-world.asp

Maintenance and Care- polish the paint and the clear plastics separately, tape the edges with masking tape. It has a clear coat so it can be cared for like a clear coated paint; use Plexus for maintenance and to remove any finger marks / smudges

Removal -it is not difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) and work slowly to avoid breaking / tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) work slowly and be patient. Detailer’s clay and /or 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water to clean any adhesive residue. Note: if the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging the paint surfaces beneath the film by pulling the film at an angle not straight up.

Information resource: http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
Old 02-12-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS, 2000 1.8t Passat, Crown Vic with lights on roof
I watched my installer install my front end protection film, it's definately not a DIY job, but thats just my opinion....
Old 02-13-2006, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by rubenl
I watched my installer install my front end protection film, it's definately not a DIY job, but thats just my opinion....
I agree 100%. I watched 2 professional installers spend 6 hours doing an install on my SL55. Even though it was not a kit, these 2 are perhaps the best out there and it took them that long. I am very handy and have performed quite a few pretty complicated and time consuming tasks but this is one that I would never attempt.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Banned

Thanks for the plug Lou........... For those interested to finding more about paint protection film, please feel free to visit us at www.premiermobilegroup.com. How are the wives doing?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:04 AM

Wow....Sam...I just check out your new website. That CLK DTM is absolutely sex on wheels. And it seems like you guys did the entire car. Incredible...absolutely incredible.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Thanks wily, there's only a few of those in the U.S. so it was a privilege for us to wrap the entire car..........this one's headed out to Gumball in April so that's great exposure for us as well.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:47 AM

Very nice. I love the pic that says "one out of one hundred". You guys really do work on the most exclusive cars in the world. Again, beautiful and classy site.