Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: Removing embedded contaminents (grittyness) by clay

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 242 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
Its about that time for me to give the car a nice detail before the winter, put a sealant on to hopefully protect against the road salt. I never clayed before until earlier this year when I bought an inexpensive fine grade clay towel. While that worked it took forever to remove everything. I came across the Nanoskin Autoscrub 7"x7" clay towel which says its in between fine and medium grade and really like it. It left a smooth surface fairly quickly and did not appear to leave any marks behind, at least that I could see. Ill use both clay towels as im washing the car, I use the 2 bucket method and use the clay towels just like I use a sponge, throw it right in the bucket. I use the maguiars Gold Class car wash which I feel is very slick and does a good job with the clay towels just sliding over the car. Ill wet down the car trying to blast off any dirt, wash with the microfiber sponge, rinse with the hose then go over the area with the clay towel and rinse off. I mostly use the fine grade clay towel, if i feel contamination that isnt coming off easy ill grab the nanoskin and hit it with that for a few passes. When done ill just rinse the clay towels under the sink with warm water then hang to dry. The larger towel ill place another microfiber towel over and fold it, the 7x7 is small enough to lay in a tupper ware container i store them in. The clay part will stick to itself its very tacky.