Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:08 PM
JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300
Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)

Sounds like a ridiculous idea..so I tried it Kiwi liquid shoe polish, in the little bottle with the little applicator..dries quick, does'nt have to be "buffed" to shine, does'nt come off on your pant leg if you bump into it(like tire dressing) does'nt leave the tire looking wet, just looks brand new, Does'nt attract dust, last a looong time, and looks great! Anybody else ever try this? I'm not aware of any adverse effects, as I havent seen any...with one exception..if you miss, and get the wheel lip, remove it right away cause it dries fast and sticks good.
Attached Thumbnails Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-chiken-001.jpg   Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-chiken-002.jpg   Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-chiken-003.jpg  

Last edited by JDM; 07-20-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Arrow Jdm

Your tires look great! I have never heard of this, but I think I'll have a go with the Kiwi polish applicator.

I was in a Target store this week, and saw a guy pouring Coca Cola on the floor. I asked about it and he says "yeah, somebody put too much wax on this section, and this is good for removing the wax! It gets better...

Another guy was standing there who said "Try using orange soda on your tires, it does a really good job"!

Now I think I've heard it all,
M
Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Yeah, somtimes it's the craziest sound stuff that works..like WD40 as an adhesive remover or better yet belt dressing? A small sprits takes the squeek out of a fan belt waaaaaay better than belt dressing wich doesnt work at all And if used lightly, it will not make the belt slipp.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by JDM
Sounds like a ridiculous idea..so I tried it Kiwi liquid shoe polish, in the little bottle with the little applicator..dries quick, does'nt have to be "buffed" to shine, does'nt come off on your pant leg if you bump into it(like tire dressing) does'nt leave the tire looking wet, just looks brand new, Does'nt attract dust, last a looong time, and looks great! Anybody else ever try this? I'm not aware of any adverse effects, as I havent seen any...with one exception..if you miss, and get the wheel lip, remove it right away cause it dries fast and sticks good.
I like your clear front bumper light lenses. I have them too, and am amazed how much better they look than the amber. Not sure about the shoe polish... How much do you use to cover four tires? Isn't that going to be more expensive than real tire dressings? I use 303 areospace protectant: It looks great and last a long time, plus it's dirt cheap and protects the tire.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:48 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by JDM

I live in AZ and it's HOT AS HELL HERE!!!.. This looks like a great idea!! But, do you think in the heat here, it would melt and come off on the car? Anyone know?

- T
Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I like your clear front bumper light lenses. I have them too, and am amazed how much better they look than the amber. Not sure about the shoe polish... How much do you use to cover four tires? Isn't that going to be more expensive than real tire dressings? I use 303 areospace protectant: It looks great and last a long time, plus it's dirt cheap and protects the tire.
Thanks, I like the clears better too.."the Forum made me do it " The first application uses the most, I think I used about a 3rd of the little bottle..but then it lasts pretty good after that..It's about $3 a bottle. I've never seen or tried your 303 stuff, whats it cost?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by TenzBenz
I live in AZ and it's HOT AS HELL HERE!!!.. This looks like a great idea!! But, do you think in the heat here, it would melt and come off on the car? Anyone know?

- T
I doubt heat would have any effect, but I do not actually know. We're going to hit 100 plus this weekend, so I'll watch and let you know. In the past, Ive never had a problem, It dries really well and seems to become part of the tire. On shoes I used to put them in the oven on warm for about 10 min to soften the leather and the polish, and then would buff the crap out of 'em. Works awsome, but that was with paste type polish, and I cannot see putting that on the tires.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:10 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Just for info, I had done this regularly some years back, and stopped(not sure why, I love it!) and I just started doing it again.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by JDM
Thanks, I like the clears better too.."the Forum made me do it " The first application uses the most, I think I used about a 3rd of the little bottle..but then it lasts pretty good after that..It's about $3 a bottle. I've never seen or tried your 303 stuff, whats it cost?
I think it was about $7.?? for 36 ounces, but the first coat takes no more than any other. I would love to know if anyone else has tried this.

What happens if you drive the car after applying the shoe polish? If it throws off sling could you permantly damage the car's paint/finish?
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I think it was about $7.?? for 36 ounces, but the first coat takes no more than any other. I would love to know if anyone else has tried this.

What happens if you drive the car after applying the shoe polish? If it throws off sling could you permantly damage the car's paint/finish?

Does not sling at all...when it dries, it's dry. If you get some on the wheel, it does'nt hurt the wheel, but can be a pain to clean off if you let it dry on the wheel. Dont get it on the wheel, cause it dries in about 10 seconds or less.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 AM

BLACK 05 C230SS
i think your tires are going to crack if you do this long term. You ever try this stuff on leather? If you put it on leather it eventually cracks and it was really only made to put the shine on the side of the soles. I've been shoe polishing my shoes for years so I know.

If you guys want to try the best product out there that doesn't SLING or get on the body of the car... Use the Tire Dressing from SHINING MONKEY. Sounds perverted doesn't it

Just go to their website and it costs like $7.00 a can. I've purchased a case of it and have been using it for quite a while. I'm a serious detailer so I've tried plenty of products and this one is the best. If you only want the shine for showcar than you can use Mequires Extreme Tireshine. This stuff is so glossy, its not funny but it will attract dirt and fling. I use the shining monkey product for daily driving which is great.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
[QUOTE=JDMI'm not aware of any adverse effects, [/QUOTE]

How about when the neighbors see it....and like it....and then when they see you and shout out " Hey JDM , got get your shine box!" (j/k)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by C43AMG
How about when the neighbors see it....and like it....and then when they see you and shout out " Hey JDM , got get your shine box!" (j/k)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:59 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by razorfish228
i think your tires are going to crack if you do this long term. You ever try this stuff on leather? If you put it on leather it eventually cracks and it was really only made to put the shine on the side of the soles. I've been shoe polishing my shoes for years so I know.

If you guys want to try the best product out there that doesn't SLING or get on the body of the car... Use the Tire Dressing from SHINING MONKEY. Sounds perverted doesn't it

Just go to their website and it costs like $7.00 a can. I've purchased a case of it and have been using it for quite a while. I'm a serious detailer so I've tried plenty of products and this one is the best. If you only want the shine for showcar than you can use Mequires Extreme Tireshine. This stuff is so glossy, its not funny but it will attract dirt and fling. I use the shining monkey product for daily driving which is great.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try somtime and see if I like it better. I know what you mean about leather cracking, but I never saw any cracking on the tires. I think the rubber is more resilient than leather, like the plastic/rubber on the shoe soles.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by C43AMG
I'm so pissed I didn't think of that first.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
JDM

2011 C300
I'm still laughing, that was good..
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
JDM

2011 C300
thought I'd tell how its going, plus it gives me an excuse to post pic's..

I washed the car this weekend and was pleased at how ell the tires are holding up..I did not reapply any polish, and havent since I started this thread 7/20. All I did was wash the tires down, and let them dry. Looks great in person, and no, theres no cracking... the new wax is holding up awsome too, in fact, I had waxed the wheels and to my suprise, alot of the brake dust just rinsed off with the hose.
Attached Thumbnails Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-8-21-05-007.jpg   Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-8-21-05-012.jpg   Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-8-21-05-013.jpg   Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-8-21-05-014.jpg   Shoe polish on my tires ! ! (pic's)-8-21-05-016.jpg  

Old 06-29-2007, 12:01 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Just curious if anyone ever tried this? I swear it works awsome! I still cannot find a good leather conditioner that works though..any ideas? I have tried a number of Meguires products, but either the perforated holes get clogged with white stuff, or there is no shinny, soft sheen..
Old 06-29-2007, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I've never tried it. Very happy w/ my 303!

Have you tried Leatherique? http://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html?...FQlQWAodRx80Wg
Old 06-29-2007, 01:34 PM

shoe polish is nothing more than paint for your shoes. I would not recommend it on rubber. it might dry out your tires over time and crack them prematurely.

good luck
Old 06-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by benz rider
shoe polish is nothing more than paint for your shoes. I would not recommend it on rubber. it might dry out your tires over time and crack them prematurely.good luck
Shoe polish contains solvent-based silicone dressings, usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface that will eventualy crack.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:16 AM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Shoe polish contains solvent-based silicone dressings, usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface that will eventualy crack.
enough to make me not want to try the shoe polish--thanks for the info!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230k '05
Originally Posted by TOGWT
dang england got some good schools
Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by markmam1
dang england got some good schools
Yes, except for the Dental schools.

Anyone try that Shining Monkey mentioned in the thread?