Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to clean black rims w/chrome lip before carwash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
How to clean black rims w/chrome lip before carwash?

I just got a new set of rims. On my silver AMG stocks....I used to use the Meguiars wheel cleaner (purple spray bottle) on them before I went into a car wash. What should I use on the new rims? I need something that is safe to go on chrome and a painted surface (or whatever the black part of the rim is). Can I use the same stuff?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:42 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Originally Posted by mjr24
I just got a new set of rims. On my silver AMG stocks....I used to use the Meguiars wheel cleaner (purple spray bottle) on them before I went into a car wash. What should I use on the new rims? I need something that is safe to go on chrome and a painted surface (or whatever the black part of the rim is). Can I use the same stuff?
Meguiar's makes a new mutli-piece wheel cleaner. Check it out, it's safe for any wheel surface
Old 09-17-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Meg's Hot Rim's All-Wheel Cleaner is a good recommendation.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Meg's is good, but I don't recommend using anything but soap and water followed by a soft towel. In fact, I never pre-clean my wheels anymore. I just go through the brushless wash and wipe them off when I get home. Go through slowly so the lower power-wash spray can get them clean. The wash gets them about 90% clean and the towel finishes the job really well.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:26 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Meg's is good, but I don't recommend using anything but soap and water followed by a soft towel. In fact, I never pre-clean my wheels anymore. I just go through the brushless wash and wipe them off when I get home. Go through slowly so the lower power-wash spray can get them clean. The wash gets them about 90% clean and the towel finishes the job really well.
Jay, the brushless carwash is applying a high pH cleaner to your wheels and tires prior to the pressure wash...most of the time, overspraying and hitting your paint! My suggestion? If you have wheels that are not too intricate (not having to use more than 1 brush or sponge) clean, polish, and seal. Then the next time you wash, use a microfiber bone sponge (found at Pepboys) with just soap and water. The brake dust will come right off.

Since you just got your car detailed, don't go through even a brushless wash. How do you think they are getting it so squeeky clean? They are a) Doing a high Ph alkaline wash b) a low pH acidic wash...either of which will remove the Zaino you have on your vehicle. Hand wash only with a quality soap.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

I have to agree with everything Nickc0844 had to offer.

One of our favorite combinations to use at our shop is P21s Metal Polishing Soap which is pH balanced and topping it with a quality wheel sealant such as Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. We have a bundle for these two products: Wheel & Tire Bundle #5

Once its protected a quality automotive shampoo and a dedicated wash mitt does the trick. You want to avoid using the same washmitt on your wheels as you do your paint as the extra contamination from brake dust build up can add swirls and scratches to your delicate clear coat.

George @ Detailed Image
Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Nickc0844
Jay, the brushless carwash is applying a high pH cleaner to your wheels and tires prior to the pressure wash...most of the time, overspraying and hitting your paint! My suggestion? If you have wheels that are not too intricate (not having to use more than 1 brush or sponge) clean, polish, and seal. Then the next time you wash, use a microfiber bone sponge (found at Pepboys) with just soap and water. The brake dust will come right off.

Since you just got your car detailed, don't go through even a brushless wash. How do you think they are getting it so squeeky clean? They are a) Doing a high Ph alkaline wash b) a low pH acidic wash...either of which will remove the Zaino you have on your vehicle. Hand wash only with a quality soap.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:01 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
One of our favorite combinations to use at our shop is P21s Metal Polishing Soap which is pH balanced and topping it with a quality wheel sealant such as Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. We have a bundle for these two products: Wheel & Tire Bundle #5

Once its protected a quality automotive shampoo and a dedicated wash mitt does the trick. You want to avoid using the same washmitt on your wheels as you do your paint as the extra contamination from brake dust build up can add swirls and scratches to your delicate clear coat.

George @ Detailed Image
That is a killer product combo you've got there, and well used for me in the past. Often times, the P21s (S100) polishing soap can only be found locally at your Harley stores. Good to see people like George carrying it. The PB's wheel sealant is easy to apply and remove. It also has a good amount of longevity.

From there, a DEDICATED WASH MITT is the only way to go...otherwise, your taking small metallic flakes and rubbing your clearcoat with it Jeez, that makes me cringe just thinking about it.

As George said, not so good if your looking for a swirl-free finish.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:28 PM

CLS55
i use zaino car wash and a sponge.... painted wheels are the same as painted fenders....

i just z-2'd my wheels for this reason.