Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

clay coz swirl marks !!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM
M.J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
Red face clay coz swirl marks !!!!!

I clay my 7 month old car and then jump to the wax step without polishing the car and i found that i have a lot of swirl marks in the car !!!! do clay bar coz swirl marks !!! I washed the car first then use a zaino clay bar and a quick detailer with it then i used meguaires nxt wax ( although i don't like it a lot ).
Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Detailing clay bars, are actually a malleable plastic (Polyisobutylene) that allows the bar to be kneaded.

Clay is not a replacement for decontamination, polish or a compound; it is a mildly abrasive surface preparation, with an average particle size of 1- micron of Kaolin abrasives that polish and exfoliate contaminants by shearing and / or encapsulation, to abrade embedded pollutants and debris from the paint film surface leaving behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability.

The best way to describe the proper method for using detailer clay is to use sufficient lubricant to aquaplane the clay bar over the surface in straight-line short back and forth motions. Inspect the clay surface often and fold (knead) clay to present a clean surface to the paint to avoid scratching; when the clay surface becomes really soiled (it becomes more difficult to find a clean surface by kneading, discard and use fresh clay.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
That is a great description stated above.

In addition, I would not clay without at least doing a paint cleaner prior to wax. Clay gets the physical contamination off the surface. A polish or paint cleaner will remove the chemical contamination, hence, giving better clarity, reflection, and longevity to your wax. Don't short-cut yourself.

If you saw swirls with NXT, that means it is that much worse. NXT is designed to hide swirls as well, so once removed, you'll see the true meaning of the swirls you have.

Try a Porter-Cable (PC) with a popular swirl remover. You'll be impressed!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by M.J
I clay my 7 month old car and then jump to the wax step without polishing the car and i found that i have a lot of swirl marks in the car !!!! do clay bar coz swirl marks !!! I washed the car first then use a zaino clay bar and a quick detailer with it then i used meguaires nxt wax ( although i don't like it a lot ).
You should have washed the car with Dawn 1st ( to remove any existing wax) then clayed the car ,then re-washed with Dawn again before waxing.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by C43AMG
You should have washed the car with Dawn 1st ( to remove any existing wax) then clayed the car ,then re-washed with Dawn again before waxing.
u don't have to unless you are using zaino. Clay can scratch your car, even when being careful. Using QD as a lube lessens the chance of swrils/scratches.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Kar don
u don't have to unless you are using zaino. Clay can scratch your car, even when being careful. Using QD as a lube lessens the chance of swrils/scratches.

You are re-stating the obvious.Why would go through all those steps and NOT use Zaino?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
ha zaino is not the only thing out there.... It is the only thing that goes on my car tho
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by Kar don
It is the only thing that goes on my car tho