Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Ask a Professional Detailer….

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what their standard procedure is, but I don't think they will clay bar and/or polish that section before application. They should at least wash the surface so you don't lock in loose contaminants. The clay bar and polish are certainly not a must have but they will help the surface be smoother and cleaner. A clean and smooth surface should look better and bond marginally better with the clear bra. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML550; 2005 SLK55
Greg,
Can you tell me what you think of using a foam gun as part of my wash routine? What are the benefits? What kind of shampoo can be used? Does it really help loosen the dirt? Thanks, and thanks also for the fast shipping on all the Menzerna stuff I just ordered from you guys.

Last edited by Brian_74; 01-22-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian_74
Greg,
Can you tell me what you think of using a foam gun as part of my wash routine? What are the benefits? What kind of shampoo can be used? Does it really help loosen the dirt? Thanks, and thanks also for the fast shipping on all the Menzerna stuff I just ordered from you guys.
I'm glad you got everything nice and quick. We pride ourselves on shipping orders out as fast as possible. The foam guns are a solid investment I think for people who detail regularly and like to be efficient with their washing process. The foam gun helps you get a really nice lather on the whole vehicle in a very short period of time. It helps save you from dunking your mitt in a bucket with shampoo regularly. They are simple to use and work well with any good automotive shampoo. It's not really designed to loosen tough deposits, just the regular loose contaminants that should come off during a normal wash. The Gilmour line is really good and we hope to be carrying them this Spring at Detailed Image. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-23-2008, 04:17 PM

2008 ML550; 2005 SLK55
Thanks Greg,
I do have another question about my planned detail this weekend.

I have minor swirling on my Black ML550 due probably to improper wash job by the dealer. Here's what I was thinking for a plan:

1) Wash/Dry, using 2 bucket method with UltiMitt and WW towels
2) Clay Bar
3) Menzerna FP-II with PC and white Lake Country pad
4) Klasse AIO with PC and a white pad
5) Klasse HGSG with black pad
6) Menzerna Final Touch Glaze, by hand
7) Natty's Blue, by hand

Does this order look ok? Do these pad choices seem good? I want to start with the least abrasive possible. What pad should be used for the HGSG? Is it ok to apply the Final Touch Glaze by hand? Your advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned

Thanks Greg,
I do have another question about my planned detail this weekend.

I have minor swirling on my Black ML550 due probably to improper wash job by the dealer. Here's what I was thinking for a plan:

2) Clay Bar
6) Menzerna Final Touch Glaze, by hand
7) Natty's Blue, by hand

Does this order look ok? Do these pad choices seem good? I want to start with the least abrasive possible. What pad should be used for the HGSG? Is it ok to apply the Final Touch Glaze by hand? Your advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Brian,

Your welcome for the info and I hope it helps you better understand the foam gun. I think your routine is pretty good and the pad combinations is perfect. The only thing I would change is the glaze, which I would remove or put in there differently. I assume you were referring to the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, if not let me know. Typically glazes are applied after you are done with any pure polish whether it's chemical or cutting. Glazes are meant to cling to imperfections in the clear coat and help fill them in. I would normally put it after the FPII and then seal the paint. However the AIO will strip the glaze if you use it next. You can apply it on top of the AIO but it won't benefit you as much as it's designed to. I guess you have three options which I'll list below.

2) Clay Bar
4) Menzerna FinishingTouch Glaze, by hand (could be applied with a black pad)
5) Klasse HGSG with black pad (could be applied with blue as well)
6) Natty's Blue, by hand

2) Clay Bar
6) Natty's Blue, by hand

2) Clay Bar
5) Menzerna Final Touch Glaze, by hand
6) Klasse HGSG with black pad
7) Natty's Blue, by hand

All of these will work, just depends on what you think works best for you. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 PM

2008 ML550; 2005 SLK55
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Brian,

Your welcome for the info and I hope it helps you better understand the foam gun. I think your routine is pretty good and the pad combinations is perfect. The only thing I would change is the glaze, which I would remove or put in there differently. I assume you were referring to the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, if not let me know. Typically glazes are applied after you are done with any pure polish whether it's chemical or cutting. Glazes are meant to cling to imperfections in the clear coat and help fill them in. I would normally put it after the FPII and then seal the paint. However the AIO will strip the glaze if you use it next. You can apply it on top of the AIO but it won't benefit you as much as it's designed to. I guess you have three options which I'll list below.

2) Clay Bar
4) Menzerna FinishingTouch Glaze, by hand (could be applied with a black pad)
5) Klasse HGSG with black pad (could be applied with blue as well)
6) Natty's Blue, by hand

2) Clay Bar
6) Natty's Blue, by hand

2) Clay Bar
5) Menzerna Final Touch Glaze, by hand
6) Klasse HGSG with black pad
7) Natty's Blue, by hand

All of these will work, just depends on what you think works best for you. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks! I mainly wanted to use the AIO to get a good sealant down under the wax. Which of the two products has better or more durable sealant properties- AIO or HGSG? I'm assuming that since I'm using the FP-II, I don't really need the AIO for its chemical abrasive properties.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

Thanks! I mainly wanted to use the AIO to get a good sealant down under the wax. Which of the two products has better or more durable sealant properties- AIO or HGSG? I'm assuming that since I'm using the FP-II, I don't really need the AIO for its chemical abrasive properties.
Since you are already washing, claying, polishing and sealing the paint the AIO is probably not particularly necessary. There are negligible polishing particles in the AIO so I don't think you'll detract much from the finish without it. The FPII will do far more polishing and HGSG will give you more protection. Therefore I think option #1 is probably the route you will follow.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Greg,

Love your thread. Your results are amazing. I have a black E63 and it needs some attention. Some scratches, needs some buffing, sealant, waxing, etc. Could you refer me to a great detailer in the Long Island, Queens, Area that does excellent work on the same level as you. Albany is a hike. If I was closer I'de come to you. Please advise and PM me the info. Thanks, Michael WISEL2@aol.com
Old 01-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Thank you for the compliments. To find someone in your area I suggest looking on the Detail University Find A Detailer section. Lots of great detailers on there who participate on a forum whose focus is on understanding detailing on a higher level. I'm also trying to contact someone I met on another forum (he may be on here as well) who is in your area that does good work. I will PM or e-mail you his contact information as soon as he gets back to me.

Greg @ Detailed Image