Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

how to clean mbtex+leather combo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' ML350
how to clean mbtex+leather combo?

how do i condition the mbtex+leather combo of my 07 ML350?

i used to apply leather conditioner on full leather seats, but now with the mbtex+leather combination, how do i clean them??? i cant even distinguish which part is leather,which part is mbtex....
Old 02-05-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Covered Leather (Urethane, Vinyl or MB-Tex):
Since late ‘80s early ‘90s 85% of vehicle manufacturers have used covered leather for their interior upholstery. It’s made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane resin coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, leathers worst enemy

Spills wipe off with a moistened cloth, the urethane resin or the vinyl covering require oils to stop it from drying out (just like a paint system's clear coat) coated leather is permeable and the leather underneath the urethane requires replacement of natural oils, heat will allow the oils to penetrate. Clean, condition and apply a UVR protection as in items 1, 2 & 3 on page 2.

Identifying characteristics- uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change colour.

Recommended products-
•Urethane Coated Leather- use Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle, Einzett 1z leather care or Groit's Leather Care
•Vinyl - maintain vinyl by cleaning surfaces with a citrus-based cleaner and water, then apply a water-based vinyl (303 Space Protectant) dressing that contains ultra violet protection
•MB-Tex Covered leather- use Groit's Leather Rejuvenator or Leatherique Prestine Clean

Notes:
1.Lexus LS430 and SC430 have uncoated leather. All Lexus made before the 2001-2004 revamp have coated leather. Mercedes-Benz have a Premium Leather Package (top grain hide, use Leatherique or Connolly Hide Care) otherwise see coated leather and MB-Tex (Vinyl)
2.Connolly Leather Hide Care, this product may not be compatible with the polyurethane coating (coated leather) and could damage the urethane.
3.Leatherique Rejuvenator is specifically made as a permeable product that goes down deep into the leathers upholstery fibres, conditioning and making the leather pliable and super soft, the polyurethane coating (coated leather) makes it very difficult for the product to penetrate it and soak in
Old 02-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TOGWT - Thanks for that information, I'm always trying to learn more.

The Leatherique Prestine Clean should work great on your seats. It has lots of cleaners and some conditioners in the formula. You can also protect them from UV fading and some contamination build up with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. Both these products will work on coated and uncoated leather.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 02-07-2007, 06:54 AM

07' ML350
thanks a lot for the detailed replies, however im in the Philippines, so far, the predominant detailing brand here is Meguiar's, perhaps u can point me to some of their products which would be suitable for MB-Tex.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Hi there,

First post over here, but let me tell you, I am NOT new to automotive detailng!

For your MBTex Seats, and having experience with MBTex Seats before, I would highly recommend a mixture or 8 parts water 1 part Woolite Detergent(8:1). This is a cheap, safe, and very effective way to clean you seats, as well as all your other interior peices excluding clear plastics. I also advise you to follow up with some type of UV Protectant (such as 303) or a leather conditioner. I have tried many conditioners, and it seems that Lexol Conditioner has the best ability to really "soak" into the material.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Can you use Mothers Protectant on leather instead of 303?

Is it ok to use prestine clean on the leather, vinyl etc..? Ex. seats, dasboard, doors, etc...

Best Regards.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by rubensans
Can you use Mothers Protectant on leather instead of 303?

Is it ok to use prestine clean on the leather, vinyl etc..? Ex. seats, dasboard, doors, etc...

Best Regards.
This is probably the shortest answer I've ever given YES
Old 02-25-2007, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Thanks.