Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Brake Dust Cleaning????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 E300 TD
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
how do you guys clean the inside of the wheels??? i want to clean the inside of the wheels but dont want to take off the wheels to do so. Besides using great products do you guys just use a sponge to do the inside???? I'm personally always afraid to use brushes b/c i feel like the brush will scratch up my rims esp b/c i just got new chrome wheels.
I'm assuming you will need a non-abrasive sponge, I DID need to take off my wheels to clean the inside....although you can't see the difference with the tires on (with my stock rims). But the fact that they are clean make me very happy. I used simple green at first, then bought some poor boys spray and wipe which did the job. I had to use a somewhat hard bristle brush to get the thick cake like mixture off the rims. It might come off a lot easier on your rims due to they are chrome and not alloy.....but thats my opinion to be on the safe side!

Thread Specifically Talking About Chrome Rims

Last edited by lxl_Jeffro_lxl; 06-02-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
thanx ya i gotta buy a brush
Old 06-02-2007, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
I think most of the wheel cleaning sprays are comparable. In my limited experience with them, I have always had to use some type of brush to get all of the brake dust off. I think the better trick is to find the proper brush that fits the holes in your wheels. Anything abrasive will clean a flat, or slightly curved, surface.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Wheel Detailing Brush:
This non-scratch, very flexible, E-Z Detail Brush is 18 inches long, 4-1/2 inches in diameter and is super-soft with Nylex bristles, a material that combines the softness of a natural bristle with the strength of nylon. There's a vinyl tip bonded to the top of the brush and a knuckle guard on the handle but the most impressive feature of this brush is the flexible, inner core. This vinyl-coated wire core will bend in every imaginable direction which allows the brush to get into areas where few other brushes can reach. http://www.properautocare.com/ezdetailbrush.html

Alternative product- Spoke & Slot Brush - Simple, safe, and effective, ultra-soft bristles squeeze into wheel crevices. Topoftheline – http//: www.topoftheline.com or EZ Detail Brush - http://www.autogeek.net

Along with P21S wheel cleaning products about a 'scratch-free' as you can get
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM

1999 CL500; 1992 500E:1991 560SEC
If they wheel wells arent that bad, just go to a DIY car wash and use their soap and rinse gun to get the dirt out unless they are caked. Soak and soap, agitate with a brush, then come back and blast em out. I have a brush I got from Griot's with an angled head.....works great.