Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Emblem problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Sport
Emblem problem

Someone took my Lorinser badge and half bent it backwards. SO I decided to remove it with the floss and Bug & Tar Remover it came off fine with no problem. I decided to also remove the "C320" like I have read about many people doing and when I took off the first "0" with the floss it left behind a thick felt film or glue. It woudl not come off with the Bug & Tar remover. Should I just try to scratch it off and then use the B & T ?? or what
thanks
Old 10-06-2002, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Yes, you will have to remove that. It is a major pain. Just took off the rear emblems on a GMC Yukon XL and my thumb no longer has much skin on it. If you get it hot enough and keep rubbing at it, it will come off. I used some mineral spirts to help loosen up the foam as well, but I do not know if I would recommend that in most cases for a Mercedes emblem. The Yukon emblems are huge compared to Mercedes designations.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E 320
Originally posted by awiner
my thumb no longer has much skin on it
LOL.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Almost a Member!

1973 280
I know this sounds risky, but one thing I've used before is Coca Cola and a large dental pick. The Coke really eats away at the stickiness of the glue, while hardening the felty material, making it easy to remove.

A little B&T in the end, followed by a nice coat of wax and sealer does the trick beautifully. If you're nervous about a dental pick some great alternatives are plastic spoons or a Tupperware lid.

A completely different apprach, I've never done it but a friend said it worked well, is an Endust Electronics Spray Cleaner. It is basically compressed air, but it can freeze the material, making it easy to get off as well.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2002, 03:37 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
just get the product called goo off
it works well
Old 10-15-2002, 03:42 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
3M makes an adhesive remover designed for this. You can also try a blow dryer and your thumb, as adam suggested.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
Originally posted by MercBezerk
...I know this sounds risky, but one thing I've used before is Coca Cola and a large dental pick. The Coke really eats away at the stickiness of the glue, while hardening the felty material, making it easy to remove...Good luck!
Coke can be used to remove rust stains on chrome bumpers and in sinks. The reason is that cola drinks contain phosphoric acid. Gatoraide contains even more phosphoric acid. I don't know how safe it would be on your paint. It will etch and clean aluminum beach chairs. In my Pediatric Dental practice I have seen it cause decay around children's braces. This occurs even with sugar free drinks which contain phosphates. To remove the badge just warm it with a hair drier and then floss it off using waxed dental floss - the wide flat linguini shaped floss works the best and is safe for the finish. By the way, the floss can also be used to clean braces!!
Old 10-19-2002, 07:40 AM

2002 SLK 320
Thumbs up Coke stories

Originally posted by DrNick
Coke can be used to remove rust stains on chrome bumpers and in sinks. The reason is that cola drinks contain phosphoric acid. Gatoraide contains even more phosphoric acid. I don't know how safe it would be on your paint.
A couple of Coca-Cola stories:

(1) I am a scuba diver and carry a steel divers knife when I dive - steel has the sharpest edge. Of course, this means that the knife rusts. Most divers know that this is easily remedied by soaking the knife in Coke for a few hours and then drying well. You'd be surprised how clean the knife is.

(2) A couple of weekends ago, I was down at Coney Island enjoying a Nathans Famous Hot-Dog and a medium Coke. After I had finished my lunch I walked over to my car (02 SLK320) and found a couple of dried on dollops of the yellowest ickiest bird **** I'd ever seen. Seeing as I had none of my cleaning products in the car, I took a couple of napkins and soaked them in my Coca-Cola and proceeded to wipe. It took seconds to remove the caca.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:50 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
Re: Coke stories

To beantownrich

What part of Beantown are you from? I am from the Boston area, Boxford, about 25 minutes north of the bridge in my E320 or 20 minutes in your SLK. Which dealer do you use?
Nick
Old 10-19-2002, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coca-cola is excellent for removing bug splats from the windshield.

Another tip. Do not use insect repellant near your car. It is an outstanding paint remover. Luckily, it was not my car where I learned this lesson.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:46 PM

2002 SLK 320
Re: Re: Coke stories

Originally posted by DrNick
To beantownrich

What part of Beantown are you from? I am from the Boston area, Boxford, about 25 minutes north of the bridge in my E320 or 20 minutes in your SLK. Which dealer do you use?
Nick
I sent you a PM this morning, dont want to broadcast too much.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Stick with David N's advice.