Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Haze on inside of window...questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Arctic White C230
Haze on inside of window...questions

A week or so ago I noticed my passenger window had a haze to it. A very noticable haze. It seems to be on all of the windows (with exception of the windshield and rear window. It's on the inside, and the worst on the front passenger window. Some are telling me it's due to my upholstry being brand new (the car itself is brand new) and in times of extreme heat (like when my car sits in direct sunlight all day at work) is when it releases most of the toxins that bind to the glass and form the haze.

I'm going to be washing my car this weekend, and was wondering what type of product to use to get rid of the haze? I have a window cleaner that I use normally, but is there anything specific I should use that would help reduce the occurance of the haze? I can post up a picture of the passenger window if it'd help.

Thanks for any input!!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you'll be fine with a typical glass cleaner like Stoner's Invisible Glass. You may want to make sure there is not an excessive amount of dressing on the seats, dashboard or other chemicals. Sometimes chemicals will heat up and evaporate in to the air. They may also later cling to the coolest surface which can be the glass. This happens to vehicles sometimes after the carpets are shampooed too. A good glass cleaner should be able to cut through it. After that you might want to see if there is any excess product anywhere. If it's from your vehicle being new, glue, etc. then there may not be much you can do. Cleaning and conditioning the seats may help, as well as cleaning the dash/console area. Hope this helps!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 PM

2007 Arctic White C230
Thank you for the reply! I have not done anything to the interior since I've owned it. Does it make any difference if my interior is MBTex? It looks much more porous on its own, so I've been really hesitant to dress it at all.

I will wash my car as usual this weekend and keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that should make a difference for why you're having the film on your glass. Please keep us posted on the situation and how it progresses.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Vinyl:[or M-B Tex]
Is made from Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) manufactured in a number of diverse ways, and is found on many vehicle surfaces both interior and exterior. The vinyl's topcoat contains the plasticizers, (Phthalate ester) which are used as softening agents and provide low temperature flexibility and weld ability.

Vinyl is a very ultra violet (UV) sensitive material that degrades when exposed to sunlight. This out-gassing causes a deposit on glass surface that looks like a haze.

Stoner's Invisible Glass contains a solvent that will 'dissolve' these deposits (use with a class cleaning fine nap micro fibre cloth)
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM

year 2000 model E-320 210 chassis
The only thing I use is a spray bottle w/water and a microfiber towel, and my glass in crystal clear. The micro-fiber towels pick up dust/dirt very well, I haven't had to use any cleaner products. But if the film is thick, I would just use windex and microfiber towel or don't laugh.........water and vinegar I call it window douch 50/50 mix.

Last edited by KADE; 06-12-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:50 PM

CLK320, Honda Ruckus, pinto & BMX
glass cleaner and NEWSPAPER
Old 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM

year 2000 model E-320 210 chassis
I find the newpaper to be a little messy on your hands/interior and you don't want that to drip on your nice leather.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM

2007 Arctic White C230
Window douche hahaha , that's good! Ok so here's what I used: Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner. I did a 2 step cleaning. First I used a thin micro fiber towelette with the glass cleaner with 75% scrubbing pressure. Rinsed. Then used newspaper with glass cleaner again, only medium pressure, and wiped until it was dry (ie: I used about 2 pgs of newspaper).

Got rid of all the haze, which looked pretty nasty on the newspaper too..here's some so-so pics. I wish I had a before and after picture, these are just after..thanks again for the input guys