Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

fixing scratches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixing scratches

Hi I am new here and have a few questions.
I have a black 2000 benz ml430, and it has a few rock chips and light scratches. What is the best way to fix them?

Thanks

Nafees Khaiser
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Imperfections that are deep in the clear coat or through it will most likely need some touch up work. Light imperfections can sometimes be polished out if they are not too deep in the clear coat. Rock chips almost always must have some form of touch up work done. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by khaiser
Hi I am new here and have a few questions.
I have a black 2000 benz ml430, and it has a few rock chips and light scratches. What is the best way to fix them?

Thanks

Nafees Khaiser
As Greg states, try polishing out the scratches first. For rock chips/road rash, consider www.drcolorchip.com It works.

Bob
Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks, I will try that. It is as easy to use as they say. I was thinking of using the auto pen.

Thanks
Nafees Khaiser
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Pens can be problematic, IMO, as the 'nibs', the felt tip on the end of the pen afford little control over how much paint gets on the surface; usually too much. Either ColorChip or www.langka.com use techniques that, if followed to the letter, produce superior results.

Bob
Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Imperfections that are deep in the clear coat or through it will most likely need some touch up work. Light imperfections can sometimes be polished out if they are not too deep in the clear coat. Rock chips almost always must have some form of touch up work done. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Any suggestions as to what I should use to try to polish out scratches?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mpx220
Any suggestions as to what I should use to try to polish out scratches?
Can you take a picture of the marks? How would you describe the depth of the scratches (i.e. through the clear coat/paint, faint, deep, etc) . Typically the depth of the scratch is the most information when selecting the appropriate polishes. Also will you be doing this by hand or with a buffer? If you have a buffer, which one and with what pads specifically? Once I have that information I can provide a more accurate response. I look forward to helping you remove those scratches!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Can you take a picture of the marks? How would you describe the depth of the scratches (i.e. through the clear coat/paint, faint, deep, etc) . Typically the depth of the scratch is the most information when selecting the appropriate polishes. Also will you be doing this by hand or with a buffer? If you have a buffer, which one and with what pads specifically? Once I have that information I can provide a more accurate response. I look forward to helping you remove those scratches!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg! I'll get you the details as soon as I get a chance to take pictures of the scratches.