Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Best Car cover around??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 10:01 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Car cover around??

Hey guys!

Anybody out there know what is the best car cover. The car cover which i bought from PEP Boys seems to be falling apart and was just wondering if you guys know of another one better?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V90 CC
I know you want one with felt backing I think California Car Covers was a good one, I can't remember.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Out Of Control!

Well which one?? Have you used any of them? Feedback?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I used one in Mexico, about 13 years ago
So I don't have any recent feedback on them, I just know that isf you don't want to risk your paint get the ones with really soft felt (cloth) on the bottom, I'll keep my eye for the corvette magazine on the mail, they always have a lot in there, at least to get a couple of brand names for you.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!

thx man!
Old 11-29-2002, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!

Ok i'll be getting the car cover from the dealer and see what the difference is. Hopefully this weekened.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by JamE55
Ok i'll be getting the car cover from the dealer and see what the difference is. Hopefully this weekened.
That's a good idea. Good luck
Old 12-07-2002, 01:01 AM
Out Of Control!

Ok so i went to my local MB dealer today for this car cover and guess hoe much they're asking..??? $184.00 bux!! I almost fainted when the guy gave me the price! I mean $184.00 buckaroos!! Geeez!
Old 12-07-2002, 11:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
James, that is not a bad price, specially coming from MB. Any more details on the cover?
Old 12-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Out Of Control!

All the guy said that the material is made from high class fabric or something like that. And he also said it's a special order. I'm gonna be trying another dealer and see what the outcome is.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by JamE55
All the guy said that the material is made from high class fabric or something like that. And he also said it's a special order. I'm gonna be trying another dealer and see what the outcome is.
tell them is a test sample for a purchase group or something like that and try to get a discount.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:53 AM
Out Of Control!

Are you kdding me! I'm talking to a dealer parts guy! They don't even understand the meaning of discount!
Old 12-23-2002, 06:51 PM

2003 E320
car cover

jame55,

were you able to find a good car cover? personally i like the thick ones that allow the car to breathe but is great at keeping moisture out.

the one i used in the past was from Wolf and it was pretty thick. it would even prevent minor dings in the garage.

the cost was pretty expensive (like $250) but i don't see one by wolf for the W211.

any good car covers out there for this car?

Rock.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Out Of Control!

Rock72

Haven't found any good covers yet. Hadn't had the time to check it out. It's weird that some dealers parts are closed on saturdays and some are open?? Anyways this Wolf you're talking about where can i get more info on it? This sounds like what i'm looking for. I see you shop at The House Of Imports also.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2002, 12:29 PM

2003 E320
evolution

the material that the wolf car cover used is called evolution. i think any car cover that uses evolution should be fine. i did a search for "evolution car cover" on google and there are a lot of hits but i haven't been able to find anything for the W211. my guess is that since the car is new, they haven't made one yet.

of course you can always get one custom made but i think that's pretty expensive.

i'll probably just wait around until one comes out for the W211 and get it. i want something really thick that also breathes well and is made a good soft fabric so that it doesn't cause scratches.

like you, i don't drive the car every day and usually only drive it on weekends and maybe one evening a week. so i don't mind having a big heavy cover on it.

and yeah, i got my car at house of imports. i live in the south bay so mercedes of south bay is closer but i like it up at house.

Rock.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Out Of Control!

Thanks Rock72!
Old 12-24-2002, 04:04 PM

Hi JamE55,

I bought one from a dealer, and it's made out of BLOCK-IT (TM) NOAH (TM). Here's what the instructions say:

"Mercedes-Benz car covers are made from BLOCK-IT (TM) NOAH (TM), a newly developed, high-tech fabric that protects the paint and upholstery of your vehicle from the ultra-violet rays of the sun. In addition, it will help keep your car free of dirt, leaves, tree sap, and industrial pollutants. Any moisture or condensation under the cover will quickly evaporate through the "breathable" fabric. It is a four-layer fabric that will not damage your paint if properly used."

I think at one point I found other information about NOAH on the web. I've had it since May and it seems to be holding up well. It's washable too, but I haven't done that (I did tumble it in the dryer for a few minutes though...on cool). A friend of mine has a 5 Series BMW, and the cover appears to be made from the same fabric. The Mercedes one comes with a cloth storage bag, whereas the BMW one has a pouch that the cover folds itself into.

Although I'm in Southern California, I bought it from parkplacestores.com (Park Place Dealerships in Texas). They were less expensive than the local dealer, and the shipping was less than the California sales tax. I think I even did 2-day shipping...

Hope this helps!
Old 12-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!

Thanks for the info New E!

Still doing my homework on this.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:07 PM

2003 E320
bought

i bought an evolution 4 car cover. i did some research into it and it looks like evolution 4 is the really thick kind (which is what i want). the negatives are that it's hard to wash and that it's very big, heavy, and bulky. it's mainly for cars that need protection and will be outside.

my car is just in my garage but i like the feeling of security that i get from a thick car cover so this is what i'm going with.

NOAH covers are nice and great for indoors but not as thick. they apparently breathe a little better than evolution 4 but evolution 4 does breathe pretty well also.

i have a stormtech car cover that i got from performanceproducts.com a few years ago for my ford explorer. it's a decent car cover but it's not thick and personally i don't like the feel of it as much as evolution.

i went to a number of sites and ended up with autoanything.com. the evolution 4 cover for my car with shipping ends up at $161.40. prices range from around $150-$250 for the same evolution 4 cover so shop around.

i've seem similar covers in the past made with evolution 3 and those were pretty good.

anyway, i'll probably get mine in a couple of weeks so i'll post a review with pictures once i get it.

Rock.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Almost a Member!

00 CLK 320
Hey if you guys want a good cover you can go to htt://www.coverking.com and they have some good ones. You can get them in different styles and colors and for different things. I live on the east coast and I needed an all weather cover. You can also get them custom made so they fit your car just like the ones from the dealership.

Dudley
Old 01-21-2003, 12:53 PM

2003 E320
evolution 4

I received my evolution 4 car cover last week. It's okay...

I owned an old evolution car cover about 6 years ago. Personally, I like the old one better.

The new one is evolution-4 and has 4 layers but it's not nearly as thick as the one I used to have.

The guy that sold it said that it is because Kimberly Clark (company that produces this) made many improvements over the last few years and one of the improvements was making it less bulky.

It is also sold as block-it 4 material (evolution-4 and block-it 4 are the same).

The fit is very good. It fits my car like a glove.

I paid around $150 for it from www.autoanything.com.

Overall, I give it a 5/10. I think it's a good car cover but one of my biggest reasons for wanting a car cover was to get something that is big, bulky, and thick to protect the car from dust and also protect it from minor dings. I keep the car parked in the garage so portability of the car cover is not an issue.

Rock.