Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Company that puts special coat on car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63
Company that puts special coat on car?

I am trying to find a certain company that I read about over a year ago. What I remember is that they put on a some type of special coating on your vehicle's paint and wheels that stays cleans for very long period of time. If I remember correctly, bugs wash off without effort and dirt and water do no stick to the car keeping it clean year round. They even offer to fly out to your location and peform the service on the spot. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Sounds like the typical Perma Plate scam.

Use a good sealant such as Finish Kare 2180 (fk1usa.com) and you'll be good, and save a lot of money. Clay and wipe the car down with isopropyl alcohol before applying to ensure a good bonding surface for the sealant.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 PM

C280
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
Sounds like the typical Perma Plate scam.

Use a good sealant such as Finish Kare 2180 (fk1usa.com) and you'll be good, and save a lot of money. Clay and wipe the car down with isopropyl alcohol before applying to ensure a good bonding surface for the sealant.
dude, r u serious??? Clay and wipe the car down with isopropyl alcohol?? i mean alcohol?? is that safe for the paint?? hav u done this? is there a website where pro's actually claim this works?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by BlackC280
dude, r u serious??? Clay and wipe the car down with isopropyl alcohol?? i mean alcohol?? is that safe for the paint?? hav u done this? is there a website where pro's actually claim this works?
Or you can use dish washer soap, it'll do the same thing and strip all previous wax or whatever.

But that crap the dealer sells you for $500 when you're about to sign for the car is pure bull****!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:22 AM

C280
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Or you can use dish washer soap, it'll do the same thing and strip all previous wax or whatever.

But that crap the dealer sells you for $500 when you're about to sign for the car is pure bull****!
I'd be more comfortable using dish washing soap. "Dawn, Cut's Grease"
That' makes more sense to me. I mean isopropyl alcohol just sounds too out of the norm for me.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
IPA is commonly used to clean paint surfaces

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA): [Chemical Formula: (CH3)2 CHOH, Proper Name: Isopropanol]

Isopropyl alcohol contains approx. 70% isopropyl alcohol, is a colourless liquid with a pleasant odour. It is highly flammable and is found in alcohol sponges, cleaning agents, and rubbing alcohol (although some rubbing alcohols contain ethanol and / or oil) and is a good disinfectant.

Used in various dilutions it is used for removing adhesive residue, as a solvent for petroleum type stains. Used after polishing to check the paint surface for any surface imperfections not removed by polishing. Fill a fine misting spray bottle with a 1:1 Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) / distilled water solution spray the paint surface, leave it to dwell for 30-45 seconds, agitate before wiping the paint surface with a clean, dry 100% cotton towel (DF Alpine™ http://www.dftowel.com) Apply a surface protection after use.

With 70% strength isopropyl alcohol in order to obtain a 1:1 ratio (50/50 % mixture) use 2 parts alcohol to 1 part distilled water (See relevant sections for usage and dilution used.) After the paint surface has been subjected to a chemical cleaning its protective layer (s) have been removed and the paint surface left without protection, so it is very important that a wax or polymer protection be applied immediately.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by BlackC280
I'd be more comfortable using dish washing soap. "Dawn, Cut's Grease"
That' makes more sense to me. I mean isopropyl alcohol just sounds too out of the norm for me.
I dont think people who work on $300k cars would give bad advise.

Most skilled detail technicians will do this during the polishing process to get all fillers and oils off the paint before applying the sealant. It lets you see exactly what the naked finish looks like so you can get all imperfections out.

Or you can get a paint prep product but OCKlass's method is cheaper. You can dilute it down with distilled water as well.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM

2005 C55
I work at a Detail shop, and we do business with a certain body shop here in town. One of my co-workers had the owner come up to the shop to look at a few things on his car that he wanted to have repainted, and asked if there was any kind of protectant that you can put on paint other than the clear bra things. He told us about a this stuff they use (forgot the name) that has the same effect as a clear bra, except its shot on like clear coat, and you would never even know it was there. Is that what you are talking about? Im not sure if the purpose of it is necessarily to keep your car cleaner, but i would assume if this layer of clear-bra type protectant is on your paint it would have that effect. If this sounds like what your talking about let me know and I will call and get the name of the stuff.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
This would be pretty nice on my car since I am always getting chips on my hood. And I just got a new paint job 2 months ago and a trip to Houston has me with CHIPS AGAIN on the hood.

Greg
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM

C280
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I dont think people who work on $300k cars would give bad advise.

Most skilled detail technicians will do this during the polishing process to get all fillers and oils off the paint before applying the sealant. It lets you see exactly what the naked finish looks like so you can get all imperfections out.

Or you can get a paint prep product but OCKlass's method is cheaper. You can dilute it down with distilled water as well.
Don't get me wrong. i'm not trying to disrespect his opinion. I just never heard of such thing before.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you talking about the clear bra. The only company I know of that is highly regarded to travel around the world is Premier in Norcal. Not sure if they do this anymore, but I just had them work on my Black Series. Their site is www.premiermobilegroup.com