Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Greg @ DI, need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Greg @ DI, need some advice

Hi there-

I recently picked up my 04 E55 AMG and I would like to get rid of the swirl marks in the paint and give the black paint a nice deep finish. I no expert but constantly wash and wash all my past cars. I have already used used Macguiars scratchex and gold wax and she is looking better. The swirls are still there though. Could you suggest some products and tecniques for me please sir.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem at all, I'm here to help. I see two major areas of concern with your routine that probably limited your results. The ScratchX is very light polish that seemingly only has limited cutting power in my experiences. You were correct to use a polish because they are the key to really improving the appearance of the paint. I'm going to suggest you use a combination of a medium and light cutting polish. Mercedes are known to have somewhat hard clear coats so it can be a little difficult to remove the imperfections by hand. Polishes need a good amount of heat and pressure to be fully broken down and worked in to the surface. You do not have to use a buffer but you will get significantly better results with one. I'm going to share some information about two outstanding options for you to look at that are very safe and easy to use.

The Porter Cable 7424 is very safe orbital buffer that builds up low levels of heat and pressure. It will help you remove a lot more of the swirls and fine scratches. The other option is the Flex XC 3401 VRG, which is forced orbital rotational buffer. It has about 60% more power than the PC 7424 so it can remove more of the surface imperfection, while still being a safe and easy to use tool. I generally recommend the Flex XC 3401 VRG to anyone who wants perfection from their detail. The PC 7424 is a better option for anyone who prefers the absolute safest and easiest to use buffer. For details on how to use these buffers I will be here to help you and I encourage you to read our Detailing Guide, which has step by step instructions and much more.

As for the polishes I highly recommend the Menzerna SIP (po83) and the Menzerna PO106FF. The Menzerna SIP is a medium cutting polish and it will help remove some of the slightly deeper surface imperfections. I apply this product with the orange light cutting pad when I use the buffer. It helps build the optimal levels of heat and pressure. The Menzerna PO106FF as my light polish to remove any surface haze and to get that extra clean and crisp looking clear coat. I apply this polish and most light polishes with the white polishing pad when using a buffer. This is the perfect combination to really restore the clear coat to like new condition. You can try this by hand but you will get significantly better results with the buffers I listed.

After polishing I usually like to apply a sealant for protection. My favorite sealant is the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 because it's extremely durable and very shinny. You can optionally add a layer of wax by hand for extra protection and that extra deep gloss. The Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Edition Concourse Paste Wax is one of my favorite carnauba waxes that applies with ease and looks outstanding on black paint. Best of all our Chemical Guys products are 20% off through 3/23/09 if you are interested.

If you have any questions about this recommendation or anything related to detailing please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DI; 03-22-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
What a write up. Thanks man. I think I will go with the 7424 as the other buffer is kind or pricey. Let me know what backing plate to get and then I will buy everything you suggested as far as waxes, polishes etc too.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Chemical Guys: 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax - 16 oz1
Chemical Guys: Jet Seal 109 - 16 oz
DI Microfiber: Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel - 16" x 16"
Lake Country: Orange Light Cutting Pad - 6.5"
Lake Country: Red Foam Applicator
Pad2Lake Country: White Polishing Pad - 6.5
Menzerna: PO106ff Ceramic Clear Coat Polish - 16 oz
Menzerna: Super Intensive Polish PO83 - 32 oz
Porter Cable: 6" Counter Weight
Porter Cable: 7424 Random Orbital Buffer

I purchased all this stuff from your site. Did I miss anything? I also bought some of your washing sponges, your wash citrus shampoo to removed old waxes and sealants, and drying towel. I cannot wait to get this and fully detail my baby.

Last edited by chawkins2001; 03-23-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320 & 2008 S550 Designo
Glad to hear you are excited!

Originally Posted by chawkins2001

I purchased all this stuff from your site. Did I miss anything? I also bought some of your washing sponges, your wash citrus shampoo to removed old waxes and sealants, and drying towel. I cannot wait to get this and fully detail my baby.
How much all that cost you shipped? I am thinking doing the detail myself too and I do have swirl marks on my black E320 as well.
Let us know how it turns out when you are done. Maybe post some pics.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
It was around $350. Not bad considering if you pay someone to do it you will pay that price anyway.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

Excellent selection of products!!!!! You got just about all of my favorites and this should really help you restore the paint to better than original condition. I recommend getting just a few other products to complete the detail. As you previously asked the 6" Backing Plate is also necessary to use the Porter Cable 7424. This just screws right into the PC 7424 and allows you to use the pads. I also recommend getting a Blue Fine Finishing Pad to apply the Jetseal 109 with. It applies very easily with the PC 7424 and should do an outstanding job of protecting and shining the paint. The 50/50 is applied by hand so you should be set there. The only other product you may want to pick up is some microfiber towels. I usually recommend getting at least a 10x pack to hand remove the excess polish, sealant, wax, etc. Our DI All Purpose Microfiber Towels are paint safe and they do a great job of grabbing and collecting particles so you remove everything on the first try.

Thank you very much for supporting Detailed Image and I hope you enjoy your new products!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mistertonyn
How much all that cost you shipped? I am thinking doing the detail myself too and I do have swirl marks on my black E320 as well.
Let us know how it turns out when you are done. Maybe post some pics.
Glad to hear you are interested in restoring your paint as well. With a little time and effort you'll be amazed at what you can do to the paint. chawkins2001 got some awesome products that are some of the best in the detailing industry. I would recommend a similar list to you but I can also help you select a detailing routine that best fits your specific needs (time, results, budget, etc.). Feel free to make a post or contact me directly via PM or e-mail.

Thank you for posting and I look forward to helping you make your paint look it's best again!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Enjoy the new goodies Craig!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
JUST WENT ALL OUT, re-purchased all this stuff again. If you are going to try and do it, do it right the first time.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I am a little late on replying, but I wanted to suggest the 4" pads vs. the 6.5" pads since you are using the PC. IMO, 4" orange pads and SIP are about the best combo you can get for correcting the ceramiclear via PC . 6.5" pads will do just fine, but if you find you need more correcting ability, pick up some 4" pads. Either way, Greg definitely steered you in the right direction. Menzerna products are some of the best I have used.

Good luck, and post some pics when you are done
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

JUST WENT ALL OUT, re-purchased all this stuff again. If you are going to try and do it, do it right the first time.
Thank you for your support, I appreciate it! I'm confident you're going to really love these products. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image