Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Chrome cleaner/polish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Chrome cleaner/polish

I need to clean (remove carbon deposits) and polish my tail pipes. Trying to decide between the P21S Metal polish and the the Flitz products (cleaner, polish, paste).

Anyone have any recommendations/experiences with these products?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
This looks interesting - http://www.borla.com/products/polish.aspx
Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320 & 2008 S550 Designo
Try this link...I just joined that forum recently..

Originally Posted by AustinGuy
I need to clean (remove carbon deposits) and polish my tail pipes. Trying to decide between the P21S Metal polish and the the Flitz products (cleaner, polish, paste).

Anyone have any recommendations/experiences with these products?
and I have learned quite a bit. Let me know what you think.

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/index.php
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

I use the P21S Metal Polishing Soap for regular cleanings and light polishing work. It's an awesome product for maintaining a great shine on wheels, exhaust tips, etc. However for deep stains and really stubborn build ups I prefer the P21S Finish Restorer. It has the ability to remove oxidation, road grime and so much more. Both products work great, it's just a question of how bad the stains are. If you have any other questions please let me know. Don't forget to use your 10% off coupon code as well - 10offMBW.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
I use the P21S Metal Polishing Soap for regular cleanings and light polishing work. It's an awesome product for maintaining a great shine on wheels, exhaust tips, etc. However for deep stains and really stubborn build ups I prefer the P21S Finish Restorer. It has the ability to remove oxidation, road grime and so much more. Both products work great, it's just a question of how bad the stains are. If you have any other questions please let me know. Don't forget to use your 10% off coupon code as well - 10offMBW.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg.

What I'm looking for is a product(s) that can clean but also polish chrome and make it shine.

My car is new, there isn't a whole lot of discoloration/oxidation on the tail pipes, just the standard carbon discoloration on the interior of the tail pipes. So, I need that part to shine as well as polish the exterior of the tail pipes.

Is P21S Fin. Rest. a suitable product for non-aggressive jobs like mine or is it mainly for use on old stuff?

Have you heard of Flitz Chrome polish?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by mistertonyn
and I have learned quite a bit. Let me know what you think.

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/index.php
Couldn't find anything on polishing chrome
Old 04-09-2009, 09:29 AM

C220CDI
I have a C220CDI and as you can imagine the diesel engine makes for some dirty chrome exhaust covers. I use Klasse AIO on my paint and on the suggestion of others I tried it on my exhaust covers. It worked great. Cleaned it right up and left it nice and shiny.

I wouldn't suggest you get the Klasse AIO just for the chrome, but if you have it already you could give it a try.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

08 STI
here is something that will work well.

Adam's Metal Polish or Einszett Chrome and Metal Polish
Old 04-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

08 STI
Figure I would do a quick demo on Adam's Metal 1 and 2

This is an AWE Exhaust for the 911TT (996TT)

A customer of mine picked it up used and its a bit tarnished from the elements.

Before:

After:

Right side tarnished and Left side hit up with Adam's Metal 1 and 2.

Closer shot:
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AustinGuy
Thanks Greg.

What I'm looking for is a product(s) that can clean but also polish chrome and make it shine.

My car is new, there isn't a whole lot of discoloration/oxidation on the tail pipes, just the standard carbon discoloration on the interior of the tail pipes. So, I need that part to shine as well as polish the exterior of the tail pipes.

Is P21S Fin. Rest. a suitable product for non-aggressive jobs like mine or is it mainly for use on old stuff?

Have you heard of Flitz Chrome polish?
The P21S Metal Polishing Soap is probably the best option for you. It applies with ease and will restore the original shine back to the pipes. The Finish Restorer is not too aggressive at all but it doesn't sound like you have any deeply embedded stains or oxidation that needs removing. If you use the P21S Metal Polishing Soap while cleaning the tips should remain looking new and you won't need the P21S Finish Restorer.

I have not used the Flitz product you mentioned so i can't help you out there. Don't forget to use your 10offMBW discount code to save 10%. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
The P21S Metal Polishing Soap is probably the best option for you. It applies with ease and will restore the original shine back to the pipes. The Finish Restorer is not too aggressive at all but it doesn't sound like you have any deeply embedded stains or oxidation that needs removing. If you use the P21S Metal Polishing Soap while cleaning the tips should remain looking new and you won't need the P21S Finish Restorer.

I have not used the Flitz product you mentioned so i can't help you out there. Don't forget to use your 10offMBW discount code to save 10%. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
How about using that on the Chrome Wheels ?? is it safe??

Andy
Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M-bENZ
How about using that on the Chrome Wheels ?? is it safe??

Andy
Yes it does work very well on chrome wheels and just about every other metal finish. It also works well even on clear coated wheels. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM

2009 C63 AMG
What are you guys applying the P21S products to the tail pipes with? Just a clean cotton towel? Or are you using micro fiber cloths for the pipes as well? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

I typically use a soft microfiber cloth. It's least likely to add any micro fine scratches to the surface. Keep using a fresh surface for best results. When I apply the P21S Finish Restorer I apply a small drop (toothpaste like drop) on the towel and buff it over a small area with light to medium pressure. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Thanks Greg!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Mazda6
No contest!

Flitz polish Paste is without a doubt the superior product. I do alot of detailing and there is nothing else that comes close! Flitz has several polish types so make sure you are getting the paste as opposed to the liquid.
I recently moved from San Francisco to Austin, TX and haven't been able to find a local retailer so have been buying it from Flitz.com but hate paying the s&h. If you know of a retailer in or around Austin that caries Flitz paste, then please let me know!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Ditto on the Flitz paste - what I use comes in a tube, like toothpaste. Awesome stuff, but it does not damage chrome or any other metal. I use it on the aluminum air cleaner cover on the Benz and the exhaust tips on our Mini-S. BUT, I also love the P21S polishing soap. I normally use just that on exhaust tips, unless the car I'm working on has a lot of carbon build-up. Ace Hardware used to carry Flitz polish, but anymore I just get some when I order other detailing stuff online. The P21S soap is applied with the sponge that's included, per directions. For the polish I use some microfiber cloths that I set aside for just metal polishing.

NICE S63, BTW