Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

LanceM Detailed: Black 2007 MB c280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280
LanceM Detailed: Black 2007 MB c280

I did this detail maybe a year ago. Since I am new to the board, I figured i would share.

This detail was for an important client. My mom. My bro and I bought her this car after we got our jobs after college. So, I decided to hook her up. She sometimes brings it to the swirlomatic even though I tell her not to. She says she doesn’t want to bother me cause I’m busy. I usually try to hide the swirls with concorso. I completed this detail in a few days. I took my time and had to take breaks due to weather (I wish I had a garage).

I initially started on the interior. The interior wasn’t bad, due to the use of the floor mat covers. However, the light color shows dirt so easily.

Before Interior:

Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 AM

2007 C280
I started by dusting the interior with a static cloth and also cleaned the interior with a swissvax brush.

I then vacuumed the interior. After that I shampooed the carpets with Meguire's All Purpose cleaner diluted 10:1. I also used this solution as a cleaner on the rubber pieces.

Carpets shampooed and wet vac'd:

Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 AM

2007 C280
Next I dressed the rubber/plastic interior parts with 303 Aerospace. It left a nice finish and I buffed off any excess for a natural look.

I then cleaned the windows with IG and with a detailers domain glass cloth. I really liked this cloth as it picked up all the IG and left a nice streak free finish.

I then wanted to address the wood panels. The wood had fine swirls and scratches. However, I could not get a good picture of these. I used Swissvax cleaner fluid on the wood panels and buffed off. This left a very nice luster as usual. It also filled in the fine swirls and scratches. I then applied Swissvax wood polish. This stuff smelled good and also was easy to work with (just like the SV waves). I applied using a CG foam applicator and let it sit for 5 minutes and buffed off with a DD MF. I really liked the finish the wood polish left.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 AM

2007 C280
Next, I used Swissvax Leather Cleaner and brush to clean the leather. I noticed the cleaner cleaned very well especially using the brush. The dirt and stains were removed pretty easily. After this, I used an applicator to apply Swissvax Leather Milk. I applied and let it sit for 30 min. The leather milk left a nice matte finish and also left the leather nice and supple. Comparing the Swissvax leather products to the zaino I used. I like the results of the Swissvax better, but the smell isn’t really appealing. Smells more like a chem than Zaino. But, the smell faded away and left the interior smelling neutral.

Here are the after pics of the interior.

After the interior was complete, I decided to do the wheels. I had a request to rotate and check the pressure of the tires, so I got the floor jack and jack stands out. While, I was there I decided to clean the fenderwells and undercarriage with Megs APC 4:1 and dress it with CG Bare bones. The rear fenderwell was lined with carpet. Megs APC 10:1 then Vac.

The wheels were cleaned wiith P21S wheel gel and agitated with a sponge, swissvax wheel brush, q tips and foam finger covers. After they were clean, I applied Swissvax Cleaner Fluid and waxed with AutoBahn.

Last edited by LanceM; 06-03-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 AM

2007 C280

After the wheels were done, I torqued all wheels to 80 ft/lbs and then moved to the engine. I used Megs degreaser and APC to clean it. Then dressed with 303 Aerospace on the plastic and Honda shin-etsu grease. I use this on my seals on the s2k aswell.

I started rinsing the car, when I noticed the trim by the windshield was dull. I applied a pea sized amount to an old NXT applicator and spread. I really liked the results.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 AM

2007 C280
After rinsing, I foamed with a high concentration of CG CWG and washed with this also. I then clayed with Meguires blue medium clay and lubed with mothers. There were quite a bit of swirls from the swirlomatic and various scratches. I also noticed trim was heavily oxidized. I polished the trim and it left a few of my pads black

Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 AM

2007 C280
I decided to try SIP and an cobra crosscut orange pad. I thought these pads were pretty good. After SIP, I checked with the brinkman and saw some good results. I brought the car out in the sun and I still saw swirls. I went over with SIP and an orange with the flex at 5.5 again. I noticed SIP didn’t react to well at 6. I finished using the udm with FP with a blue pad. I did this for the whole car and lamps. I tried a test area with Powergloss and a yellow, but the results were tons of marring.

Corrected

Uncorrected

I then polished the glass with 1z glass polish. I used the the udm with a white pad on a low setting. The glass polish was liquid. Surprised me at first. I then finished the glass with rainx.

I then wanted to try out my zymol screen and lens. The fluid cleaner smelled and looked like HD cleanse. I’m pretty sure they are the same. I applied and buffed the cleaner off and then applied the wax. The wax was blue and left to haze for 5 min and buffed off. The lens looked better, but probably not noticeable in the pics.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 AM

2007 C280
I then applied Swissvax Pneu to the tires. I liked this stuff. I sprayed on the tire, spread with a foam pad, let sit for 5min and then buffed off. I liked the look it left. Semi shine and natural look. Smelled like concorso. lol

Now it was time to apply the LSP. I chose to use Z hd cleanse and Z Vintage. I thought I was prepared for HD cleanse from my experience with cleaner fluid. Man was I wrong. HD cleanse was a pain! I finished the car swearing and hating this stuff. I wont use it again. I applied Vintage to the s2k without it and didn’t see a difference.

Vintage is a soft wax. I was surprised how soft it was. It went on real easy and noticed a little went a long way. After letting it sit for 5min and buffing off. I then let the car sit in the sun for 3 hours. I hear about the sweating that goes with this wax, so I put field glaze in the freezer for about 10 min and then applied to the car to remove the oils. The reflections and clarity were great. My neighbor kept saying it was very deep. I'm still deciding how much I like this stuff better than concorso. Give me a week or so and I'll give a better review. Please pardon the pollen as it was sticking quickly.

No scratch anymore

Old 06-03-2009, 12:05 AM

2007 C280

The trunk cleaned up nicely
Old 06-03-2009, 12:05 AM

2007 C280
Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 AM

08' C350, Toyota Tundra
That is such a serious detail job, its not even funny. SICKKKK!!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Diamond White SL63, 2008 Paladium Grey C63, 2008 ML 350 AMG Sport pckg,
You ought to do this for a living..... I'd pay top $$$$'s for that!!! Good Job man. Impressive!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
That is impressive and I love looking at all the detailed pictures!!!

Just one minor thing, not trying to critize but just want to help you out, but that car looks to have MB Tex upholstery and not leather, you might want to try a product for fake leather surfaces next time.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG
+1...I wish I had the patience and time to detail my ride like that!

Originally Posted by RonPaul
You ought to do this for a living..... I'd pay top $$$$'s for that!!! Good Job man. Impressive!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:19 PM

Excellent and inspiring. Any two or three of those things would spruce up a car.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by pmb600
That is impressive and I love looking at all the detailed pictures!!!

Just one minor thing, not trying to critize but just want to help you out, but that car looks to have MB Tex upholstery and not leather, you might want to try a product for fake leather surfaces next time.
Try BQ6980016, Mercedes-Benz Interior Care.

BTW, I like to Google MSDS plus the product name to check the major ingredients, and then I decide if I want to buy a different brand.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 PM

2003 E240
Very impressive, better than showroom quality haha