Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Alboston

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alboston

I have read alot of posts regarding which pad to use on the porter cable, but i have little swirls , should i use a really soft terry cloth pad ( not the one that comes with the pc) or the wool pad, i have read the wool pad causes swirls,
Old 03-14-2003, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DO NOT by any means use a wool pad on a clearcoated car! A wool pad generates a lot of heat and you could easily break the clearcoat with that and a PC. If you have very minor swirls, take a look at the pads offered by CMA (www.properautocare.com). Look at the "non-finger" pads. The white pad is mild and the yellow is stronger. In terms of swirl removers, I like Meguiars #9 2.0, 3M SMR, and Meguiars DACP (#83). The list is also in terms of aggressiveness. So you would want to start out the mildest possible on a 2 x 2 area and see if that corrected your swirls (white pad + # 9). If not, then move up (yellow pad + #9), then so on and so for.

Remember, the way swirls are removed is by removing the damaged portion of your clearcoat. The goal is to remove as little clearcoat as possible to acheive the results you desire.

Also, the white and yellow pads are very safe with a PC. Hopefully Ali can jump in here and send you that link that Steve posted on bimmerforums.org It is a great write-up on PCs, pads, and such.

HTH!
Old 03-14-2003, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by 500AMG
DO NOT by any means use a wool pad on a clearcoated car! A wool pad generates a lot of heat and you could easily break the clearcoat with that and a PC. If you have very minor swirls, take a look at the pads offered by CMA (www.properautocare.com). Look at the "non-finger" pads. The white pad is mild and the yellow is stronger. In terms of swirl removers, I like Meguiars #9 2.0, 3M SMR, and Meguiars DACP (#83). The list is also in terms of aggressiveness. So you would want to start out the mildest possible on a 2 x 2 area and see if that corrected your swirls (white pad + # 9). If not, then move up (yellow pad + #9), then so on and so for.

Remember, the way swirls are removed is by removing the damaged portion of your clearcoat. The goal is to remove as little clearcoat as possible to acheive the results you desire.

Also, the white and yellow pads are very safe with a PC. Hopefully Ali can jump in here and send you that link that Steve posted on bimmerforums.org It is a great write-up on PCs, pads, and such.

HTH!
wool pad is OK to use on clearcoated paints. I will respond to this in a bit, a little busy right now.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The wool pad itself CAN be okay...but only in the hands of an experienced person. Also, you would only really need a wool pad on a VERY neglected finish and you would end up removing quite a bit of clear in the process. It sounds like 2quik has a few swirls and doesn't need to use a wool pad. Like I said before, start out very mild and work your way up if needed. You can easily do damage with a wool pad if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:58 AM

ok i guess ill try the terry cloth pad first , the the wool pad IF needed, i think your right in saying always start off with the mildest or softest pads and polishes
Old 03-15-2003, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by 2quik
ok i guess ill try the terry cloth pad first , the the wool pad IF needed, i think your right in saying always start off with the mildest or softest pads and polishes
there is no terry cloth pad. That is a terry cloth bonnet, which must be placed on the wool pad. I don't reccommend this. Get the white polishing pad instead, it will be perfect for your needs from the sounds of it. You can get it at www.properautocare.com
Old 03-15-2003, 04:33 PM

Lightbulb

2quik,

May I ask what type of cleaner/polish and/or swirl remover you have in your arsenal?

While a wool pad can be used I would take the advice of 500AMG and leave that out for the time being. A polishing pad with the swirl remover of your choice, set at about 4 - 4 1/2, should work just fine.

Work the PC slow and steady over small areas, buff until the product is just about gone and hand remove the remaining residue.

Anthony
Old 03-16-2003, 10:14 AM

Ali, Anthony& 500

Ok guys, now im confused and have not even touched my car bcz im afraid to do more damage than good, So ill order the polishing pad Ali, and ill use the Mcguiars swirl mark remover? correct? i mainly want to do my hood and trunk, so i can use that polishing pad with mcguiras number 9 smr. Then i would proceed to use my zaino. Correct? do i need to change the pad while using SMR on my hood and trunk? i kow i have to to change it when i wax and polish
Old 03-16-2003, 10:16 AM

Ali

Can i just call u, before i see the primer on my hood and trunk?
Old 03-16-2003, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2quik,

Meguiars SMR (#9) is just fine. That is one of the mildest swirl removers. I would start with that and a white pad for very minor swirls, or you could start with that and a yellow pad if the swirls are a little worse. The yellow has a little more bite. Don't worry about #9 and the white/yellow pad. It is very safe. Just remember to keep your speed between 4-5 and work the product through until it drys (so you can easily wipe if off with a microfiber towel). I usually work in a 2 x 2 area, keeping the PC moving at all times. Up and down, then side to side. 1 pass may take around 40-45 seconds for #9. #9 also drys pretty fast, so you won't have to make that many passes. A stronger swirl remover like Meguiars #83 (DACP) will need a few more passes, because it takes longer to break down and dry.

Regarding the pads...they will eventually get saturated by the product and you will want to switch to a new one. You'll know when it becomes overly saturated (sort of like a sponge). I'm usually fine with 2 pads for one car. Then you wash them out in the sink and let them air dry.

HTH!
Old 03-16-2003, 09:52 PM

2quik,

AMG gives some pretty sound advice. Also there is no way you are going to go through your clear down to the primer using a PC.

Anthony
Old 03-16-2003, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
2quik,
Use a white polishing pad and megs #9. Heres what I would do.
Wash car with regular car wash
Dry with waffle weave MF towel
Buff with PC, white polishing pad, and megs #9 follow the sticky thread
Spray down car with mix of 50/50 water isopropyl alcohol OR wash with dark blue dawn dishwashing liquid (squirt about a half dollar sized drop in the bucket and put in over a gallon of water)
Dry of car(is you washed) or wipe up the mix of alcohol as you go with an MF towel
Then apply zaino with ZFX

Hope this helps!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:45 AM

500AMG, ALI< ANTHony

Thanks guys for your help, AMG thanx
Old 03-17-2003, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No problem 2quik! Let us know how it goes and if you need help with anything else.