Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Best way to clean floormats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Best way to clean floormats?

My grey mats are getting pretty stained/dirty. I was thinking maybe to throw them in the wash machine, but not sure if that's a bad idea.

How do you do it?
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to the local crocery store and rent a steam cleaner.

Use a spot cleaner you can also buy at the store. I think it's called "Folex"...I Think.....

Vacuum the mats real good and lightly spray them with the spot cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes then use the steam cleaner on them. If it is a cleaner without a unit to heat up the water the boil some water to put in the tank and use it that way.

Try not to use carpet shampoo as they can be difficult to extract from the fibers thus attracting more dirt.

OR you can invest in a Bissel Green Machine with optional hot water heater and use that on a regular basis.

Anthony
Old 03-22-2003, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I think thats too much hassle. Go to the parts store and buy the red aerosol can with the red brush on top. Its made by prestone and its a carpet cleaner. Great stuff.

Last edited by AlBoston; 03-22-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:47 PM

Too much hassle?

He wants them clean. If his intention is to avoid hassle then I would have suggested he go to the local coin op car wash, hit them with soap and rinse.

Carpet shampoo is ok but unless you can extract all the soap and surfacants then the mats will just get dirty twice as fast. Hot water injected into the fibers and then extracted, at times even without any cleaners, will remove stains and leave carpets soft and clean and not "crunchy" from soap residue.

Anthony
Old 03-23-2003, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
OK guys, you may say I'm crazy, but don't knock it 'till you try it. . .

Remove the mats from the car, lay on the ground, wet fully with a hose. Sprinkle a SMALL amount of Tide or other laundry detergent, scrub briskly with a stiff (and clean) brush. Spray off with more water, and hang to dry. VOILA . . . mats look like new.

My wife has a Passat with light grey mats, my kids love chocolate milk, strawberry Pop-Tarts, etc. Everything comes out using the above method.

Please let us know if everything comes out.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
1- Wipe off your shoes before getting in the car.
2- Vacuum floor mats once a week.
Mine look like new!

Last edited by theine; 03-23-2003 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:11 AM

2001 CLK 320
Cleaning mats

In my home, I have a number of small oriental rugs. Given the tightness of the knots they will last a very long time with proper care. Believe it or not, the preferred method of cleaning first entails taking them outside and lightly beating them from the back in order to dislodge dirt and dust. This method has been used for centuries, and there used to be a special tool for the purpose, but I just use my hand. After that I use a small hand vacuum, but I get down on my hands and knees and go over the rug several times. (I like the Super Shark vacuum available in many houseware stores. Avoid vacuums that use a battery that needs to be recharged.) I do the same for the mats in the car, and they certainly have a lot more dirt and grit than the rugs in the house.

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2003, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I had no idea this would be controversial!

I think I'll try both methods (prestone + steam). I do own a hoover steam cleaner.

Thanks for the opinions.

-rb