Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

The ultimate wheel cleaner? Sonax Wheel Cleaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
The ultimate wheel cleaner? Sonax Wheel Cleaner

SONAX Wheel Cleaner

Precision Wheel Cleaner for safe and effective removal of brake dust and stubborn dirt

SONAX Wheel Cleaner is a highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced rim and wheel cleaner that is safe for all wheels, including aluminum and alloys. This formulation is also effective and safe for use on painted wheels and will not deteriorate clear coats.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner contains unique chemical ingredients that effectively dissolves the sintered iron by forming a water soluble iron complex. During the use of your vehicle, brake dust and road grime become sintered to the surface of rims and wheels due to the high temperature conditions they are normally exposed. Brake dust contains high levels of iron and once sintered to the rim, becomes extremely difficult to dissolve or remove without the use of harsh chemicals.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner sprays on as a thick, flourescent grean foam. As the cleansing foam begins to work into the dirt and grime, the formula begins to turn red. The red coloration is the SONAX Wheel Cleaner forming a bond to the sintered iron on the wheel and changing its state to a water soluble complex for easy removal. Stubborn, baked on grime may take a small amount of agitation. Rinse wheels thoroughly with a power washer and wipe dry.

MSRP - $19.99.

So here is the test I did over the weekend. First I used this on the VW R32 and got amazing results, unfortunately no pictures.

Was able to do some more testing and the test subject a 2010 Audi S4, with all the bad weather I figured this was a great time to test it out. 4-5 weeks without washing the car (due to rain, snow, northeast winter)

Take a look I followed the instructions to the tee and got some amazing results, dare I say this will be a hit! I'm going to say even better than my favorite wheel cleaner.

Before shot of the wheel

Sprayed it on, and it was immediately green as stated in the directions

Started to turn purple within minutes

Take a look at it cleaning. (this was after quickly using the Uber Spoke Brush and Uber Boar's Hair Brush nothing crazy just a quick brushing)

Used a power washer (Cam Spray) and they looks great!

Needless to say I was impressed so impressed we will be carrying this asap.
I know most know what my favorite wheel cleaner is here and I've been using it for 15 years and I think I just found its replacement.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

08 STI
Updated: with the HUGE Response on this item I will start the pre ordering now. Shipment should be here in 5-7 days.

Click here to reserve yours today SONAX Wheel Cleaner. (Don't forget to add your discount code)
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SL55, 2008 CLK 550 (toast), 2006 V-Star
This stuff is pretty fun.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 PM

none
Those wheels were not in bad shape to begin with.
My wheels are "Stain damage". ( for want of a better term ) Aluminum wheels are sometimes laminated and when this lamination breaks down they get really ugly and rough along the edges.
The front wheels are usually the worst, due to brake dust.
That product looks like it would be ideal to use as preventative maintenance.
If you can keep them that clean, They should never have the "Stain Damage " Problem.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

08 STI
take a look at this link here some good reviews and pics of wheels with over 100k on them.

Sonax Wheel Cleaner Thread
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Very Impressive stuff!

I just started using the P21S after always hearing about how good it was and now this comes along!

I might have to try it out, if Phil will give up another of those specials! (Hint, Hint Phil)!

The Big test of this would be on a rear brake caliper because most of those are pretty neglected, at least mine are because the stuff just won't come off!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

08 STI
Originally Posted by BoughtaBenz
Very Impressive stuff!

I just started using the P21S after always hearing about how good it was and now this comes along!

I might have to try it out, if Phil will give up another of those specials! (Hint, Hint Phil)!

The Big test of this would be on a rear brake caliper because most of those are pretty neglected, at least mine are because the stuff just won't come off!
we should have more towards the end of the month, volume discounts are up.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
After you've waxed your wheels with car wax, the ultimate cleaner is water.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
After you've waxed your wheels with car wax, the ultimate cleaner is water.
I've got wheel wax on ours and still need a wheel cleaner to get the brake dust off. I wash our cars at least once a week.

What are you waxing your wheels with and how often do you wash them? If you're washing your wheels every couple of days, then I'd tend to agree with you, otherwise I'd like to know your secret, if you don't mind sharing it!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:49 AM

K7 GSX-R 750
This is some mean stuff, just by looking at the pics. I may have to try it...