Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Questions to ask a detailer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
Questions to ask a detailer

I am very particular when it comes to cleaning my vehicle and use quality products, two bucket system, lambs wool mitt to clean to avoid scratching - but I dont trust myself to wax/polish my black 2009 GL550.

I asked the dealership if they had a trusted detailer they could recommend, which turns out to be a guy who works there and does it on the side (has a business card).

what questions should I ask this guy about his approach to detailing my car ? Mostly just concerned that he doesnt scratch or mess up the paint, which I would hope he knows what he's doing..

Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Best thing to do is ask for references or at least pictures of his past work. You could ask what equipment (polisher, paint thickness gauge, etc), pads, polishes, and LSPs he uses as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
german car v6
well...... u touch it u have chance to scratch it , but u can touch it in the way u minimise the chances to scratch it.
ask what methods he use, see some of his projects he was working on , products , tools, time , see how he keep his pads, towels .. to give u an idea if his organize, clean and care ...
good luck!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
I think that simply having a good conversation with him should tell you a lot.

Ask him questions about his process, ask for specifics. If he has any issues describing in detail what he does, why he does it, what he uses, etc, I would probably pass.

Real professionals don't have any issues describing their products, processes, and all that information. We do it day in and day out, we should definitely know what we are talking about.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Be more concerned about the process and then the products. A "detail" can mean two different things from two different detailers. Our mini detail can be a full detail from most of our competitors. Ask from start to finish, what the process is. Ask the detailer what look will my interior and exterior have. Does he like a shiny interior...most detailers do. Does the outside paint have a shiny and glossy finish or a more subtle shine amd gloss but with more depth and richness? Do your tires look glossy or have a matte black look when complete? This way you get a detailer that details your car to the specs you like...or you may not have known you liked.

And don't get hung up on the price. You can't expect a detailer to be around, do a great job, take his/her time, use the better products on the market, and expect to pay him $200-300....a proper full detail from us costs $450-700. That's how we can operate at this caliber, have liability insurance, pay our taxes, hire legal employees, expand our business, and ultimately be around to serve our clients for decades.

Great question by the way!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 AM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Be more concerned about the process and then the products. A "detail" can mean two different things from two different detailers. Our mini detail can be a full detail from most of our competitors. Ask from start to finish, what the process is. Ask the detailer what look will my interior and exterior have. Does he like a shiny interior...most detailers do. Does the outside paint have a shiny and glossy finish or a more subtle shine amd gloss but with more depth and richness? Do your tires look glossy or have a matte black look when complete? This way you get a detailer that details your car to the specs you like...or you may not have known you liked.

And don't get hung up on the price. You can't expect a detailer to be around, do a great job, take his/her time, use the better products on the market, and expect to pay him $200-300....a proper full detail from us costs $450-700. That's how we can operate at this caliber, have liability insurance, pay our taxes, hire legal employees, expand our business, and ultimately be around to serve our clients for decades.

Great question by the way!
+1

If you really care as much as you say you do, then you really do not want someone who spends only 3 hours on your car, asks only $150, and does everything in a rush. I'm not saying that the detailer is unprofessional, just that no one can do an outstanding job in only 3 hours which include washing the car, polishing, sealing, cleaning the interior etc
Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Selecting a Professional Detailer

Request a reputable detailer’s name (s) on one of the detailing forums. Once you’ve selected a detailer be specific about what services you require (i.e. full vehicle detail, exterior paint renovation, interior detailing, etc) It requires an exchange of information between the consumer and the shop so that the extent of each detail and the estimated cost, a vehicle drop-off and collection time are clearly established before work commences.

A successful outcome will rely on good communication between you and the chosen professional. You want someone that makes you feel at ease with the process, someone that you can easily trust. They should be able to answer your questions in simple easy to understand terms, not techno speak, so that you understand what needs to be done, and the benefits. Listen to their suggestions. The more that things can be explained and agreed upon, the more at ease that they can make you feel, and the more confident that you can be in their ability to meet or exceed your expectations.

An accurate estimate can only be given when the professional is able to see the vehicle and ascertain your expectations, a phone-quote can only be a ball-park figure. Expect to pay a fair price for the amount of work involved. Many professionals will need 10+ hours of work to transform your vehicle back to like-new condition A Professional using high quality products may spend over $100 in product use alone; so a decent turn-around performed for $75 is not realistic

Some things you may want to consider

• Professional Detailer should have been in (full-time) business for at least one year
• Should have business licensed and be state registered
• Ensure they have adequate insurance cover and that they are a registered business
• Obtain (telephone number) references from three recent clients and check them
• How long they have been in business
• Check with the local Better Business Bureau
• Ask them where they received their training and what products they use.
• Ask the prospective detailer for photographs of vehicles they have done recently (most detailers have a portfolio)
• Ask them their detailing ‘steps’ this will indicate exactly what you are paying for
• Ask them what detailing products they use (known brand names are preferable)
• Do they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee?
• Do they take major credit cards and / or Pay Pal?
• Discuss a price and if satisfied set-up an appointment
• If they quote a very low price it could reflect the quality of service offered.

After Care

Ask them for tips on avoiding scratches by proper washing and drying techniques and any other tips they can give to maintain the finish on your vehicle. Client education in the aesthetic care of their vehicle should be equally as important as the detailing. The most common cause of surface scratches is washing the car improperly, or using unsuitable washing media, so I would suggest they explain or demonstrate the correct vehicle paint washing technique.

An extract from “Professional Detailing” one of a series of 118 unbiased “The Science of Detailing” technical papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
thanks everyone for the great feedback. As soon as this pollen clears the air, I will start shopping around armed with this knowledge.

-JF