Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help a Newbie buy some products

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
Sorry I thought the two polishers were orbitals but just re-read. I'll look into the G220 but that's going to be a big outlay @ about £150...

The polishishes, how much of the clear coat is only likely to remove over the other? I was eyeing up a Lime Prime from Dodo Juice (might as well just order it from one provider) which has a mild cutting agent but with some other oils that give it a deep gloss. The results appear good, and since it is mild it will ideal for the very very slight swirls I have. I may look into the other polishers before I make a definate decision.

The clay just works out roughly the same price from Dodo Juice compared to Meguiars clay kid (maybe a few ££ more expensive) but you get twice as much clay so it's almost a no brainer!

Thanks for all the advice. Once I make a decision on what to get I'll post up something here. =)
If done correctly, you will not have to worry about how much clear coat you wear off as it is barely none. The other day I read an article of someone who wet-sanded a spot on a car for a scratch of which he could not get rid off with polishes. He took measurements before and after. Results: scratch totally gone and only used like 8 microns of 140 or something.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM

CLK 500 & E55 AMG
Like I said in the begging watch out can get pricey. Last year I thought anything over $50 was crazy now I have multiple products from Dodo juice, chemical guys, poorboys, and many others. The Dodo juice is great stuff but I don't think the lime prime has hardly any cutting power at all, and the lime prime light has no cutting power. As mentioned before menz. stuff is great. For a sealer I like to use Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 it cost more, but you use so little a bottle of it will last a very very long time. Jet seal is also one of the longest lasting sealants with almost a wax look.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
@kickR: That's reassuring. I'll look into the polishers and see what happens. Thanks again.

@madmla21: You're right - the price does go up quite easily, but if the finish lasts then in my book it's worth it. At the moment my car needs a good wax, so I want to do everything before the summer to keep it nice and clean. Lime Prime has a very small cutting power, but that should be sufficient for me. If i need more later down the line I will use something a bit stronger... Or I could buy the Menz stuff now. Decisions decisions! I may go and wax the car though, and get two coats on, one with Dodo Juice Supernatural, and Blue Velvet for the second coat...

I'm actually looking forward to getting it all done, just need to work out what I need and find a weekend that I can do it...!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Just an update. Shopping list currently stands at:

Washing:
Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo

Claying:
Dodo Juice 'Born Slippy' Clay Lube
Dodo Juice Supernatural Detailing Clay

Polishing:
Kestrel DAS-6 Menzerna Kit 2
- Includes required backing plates, pads, Menzerna polishes etc
Possibility to switch to the Meguiars's G220 if the Kestrel is out of stock.

Glazing
Dodo Juice 'Lime Prime Lite' Cleanser Glaze

Wax:
Dodo Juice Supernatural Carnauba Wax

Maintaining:
Dodo Juice Red Mist Spray Detailer

Glass, Wheels & Interior:
Autogylm Car Glass Polish or Autoglym Fast Glass
Smartwax RimWax
Britemax Leather Max Conditioner
Britemax Interior Dressing

Scratch Repair:
Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0
2500 & 3000 Wet Sandpaper

Extras:
Microfibres
Drying Towels
Touch Up Paint
Masking Tape
Washing Mitt

I think I've covered all bases... I will be ordering possibly this weekend...
Old 05-26-2010, 04:34 PM

BTW, AZN300, you were right, I'm spending a lot more than I thought I would... But my philosophy is that if I'm going to do something, I should do it right!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
PM sent regarding comments on your purchase
Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM

Just to follow up, my order arrived today:

==========

Washing:

Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo 500ml
Snow Foam Gun / Lance
Snow Foam - 5 Litre

Clay:
Dodo Juice Supernatural Detailing Clay Triple Pack
Dodo Juice 'Born Slippy' Clay Lube 500ml
Dodo Juice 'Born Slippy' Clay Lube Concentrate 250ml

Polish/Gloss:
Dodo Juice 'Lime Prime' 250ml
Dodo Juice 'Lime Prime Lite' 250ml

Mashine Polisher:
Meguiar's G220 Menzerna Kit
- Meguiar's G220 Dual Action
- Menzerna Power Finish (M85RD250)
- Menzerna Final Finish (M85RE250)
- Menzerna 135mm Compounding Pad
- Menzerna 135mm Polishing Pad
- Menzerna 135mm Finishing Pad

Wax:
Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax

Maintainence:
Dodo Juice Red Mist Spray

Interior:
Britemax LEATHER MAX
Britemax INTERIOR DRESSING
Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care

Glass:
Autogylm Car Glass Polish
Autoglym Fast Glass

Wheels:
Smartwax RimWax
Valet PRO Bilberry Safe Wheel Cleaner

Metals:
Britemax FINAL SHINE Metal Polish & Sealant

Scratch Removal\Wet Sanding:
Meguiar's Unigrit® 2500
Meguiar's Unigrit® 3000
Meguiar's Sanding Backing pad
Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0

Cloths\Applicators\Extras:
Smartwax Miracle Dryer
Ultra Plush Microfibre x3
Plush Microfibre x12
Sonus Genuine Wool Car Wash Mitt
Autoglym Perfect Polishing Cloths x8
Dodo Juice Supernatural Window Waffle
3M Masking Tape
Isoclene 'IPA Wipe Down'
Silverline Wooden Handle Detailing Brush
Foam Wax Pad Twin Wax Applicator Pads
Microfibre White Wax/Sealant Applicators x2

==========

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 AM

'14 CLA 45
How much more than the initial $300 did it cost you?

You really should have ordered 3 of each pad for starters, because 1 won't really do, unless you constantly want to clean it and wait.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM

I spent £500 odd, so thats about $700-$750. I guess I got a bit carried away. :$

The pads came with the kit. I think they should suffice for a once over the whole paintwork as I will be claying as well so the pads shouldn't get dirty. I'll order more in due course when I decide to buy some other waxes...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know what you're doing this weekend

Do you have a clear bra on? If you do, word of warning, I wouldn't do an IPA wipedown on it as it'll strip off some of the essential oils your clear bra requires. Don't want those pores drying out.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM

If I had this weekend free I would be getting my polish on, but I have an engagement to attend. This weekend is scratch removal and stone chip removal.

No clear bra - I brought the IPA so I can attend to two scratches that I have on the car that I will clean up with IPA and try some of the more agressive scratch removal compounds in Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. Luckily both of the scratches are towards the underside of the car.

Thanks for all your help guys - greatly apreciated.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM

'14 CLA 45
I spent £500 odd, so thats about $700-$750. I guess I got a bit carried away. :$

The pads came with the kit. I think they should suffice for a once over the whole paintwork as I will be claying as well so the pads shouldn't get dirty. I'll order more in due course when I decide to buy some other waxes...
It's not that the pad will get dirty, but it will get saturated too much after a few panels and if you do not get that compound/ polish out, the pads will not work as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by kickR
It's not that the pad will get dirty, but it will get saturated too much after a few panels and if you do not get that compound/ polish out, the pads will not work as well.
Yeah I read up about it after you mentioned it. Should I be cleaning the pads with a degreaser after every 2-3 panels?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have 4 of each color pad I regularly use so I don't have to stop and clean pads while polishing...wastes a lot of time. Typically I use one pad per side, but if you're doing spot polishing instead of the whole car, you might be able to get by with the pads you have for now. I keep a bucket with my Snappy pad cleaner solution and toss used pads in there after I'm done and grab the next clean pad.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 PM

'14 CLA 45
Yeah I read up about it after you mentioned it. Should I be cleaning the pads with a degreaser after every 2-3 panels?
I would recommend that you get a few more before you start detailing. But if there is no time:

2 gallon bucket with warm water, when the pad gets saturated hold and squeeze it in the water until most of the compound/ polish is out. Dry it as good as possible with a MF towel, use the degreaser if you have one, and re-use the pad.

AZN mentioned snappy pad cleaner - Snappy you usually use at the very end to totally get rid of the last compound residue within the pad. But it takes about 10-15 minutes and normal drying time outside (not exposed to the sun) for it to regain its performance.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Azn_C300
I have 4 of each color pad I regularly use so I don't have to stop and clean pads while polishing...wastes a lot of time. Typically I use one pad per side, but if you're doing spot polishing instead of the whole car, you might be able to get by with the pads you have for now. I keep a bucket with my Snappy pad cleaner solution and toss used pads in there after I'm done and grab the next clean pad.
Originally Posted by kickR
I would recommend that you get a few more before you start detailing. But if there is no time:

2 gallon bucket with warm water, when the pad gets saturated hold and squeeze it in the water until most of the compound/ polish is out. Dry it as good as possible with a MF towel, use the degreaser if you have one, and re-use the pad.

AZN mentioned snappy pad cleaner - Snappy you usually use at the very end to totally get rid of the last compound residue within the pad. But it takes about 10-15 minutes and normal drying time outside (not exposed to the sun) for it to regain its performance.
I have some time. I was looking to detail next weekend if it's not too hot. I haven't got a garage so I would need to detail in my drive so the weather needs to be on my side - so not wet but also not sunny. An overcast day seems ideal, and the good thing is that UK weather is usually like that... lol

Thanks for the tips. I may go down that route and buy some pads, and also buy some of those Snappy Pad cleaners for final cleans. Cheers guys.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If shade is an issue, you can get some tents (EZ Ups here stateside are great for ease of use) or CR Spotless system. I love my CR Spotless and never have to worry about waterspots again. I know it's kinda late to mention, but another option is to go waterless (OPT ONR).
Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 AM

none
When you get right down to it, The worst thing you can do to a black car is put wax or polish on it.
The most common problem people have with black paint is the wax they put on it.
I accept that everyone has their own opinion but I think we call all agree that experience is the best teacher.
In my experience there is nothing that works better for black paint than an acrylic paint conditioner.
Alien Liquid Research
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by sidwynder
When you get right down to it, The worst thing you can do to a black car is put wax or polish on it.
The most common problem people have with black paint is the wax they put on it.
I accept that everyone has their own opinion but I think we call all agree that experience is the best teacher.
In my experience there is nothing that works better for black paint than an acrylic paint conditioner.
Alien Liquid Research
No idea what kind of wax they used that supposedly yellows and dulls the paint, but it sure was no product of good quality.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Read through that, was pretty lol. The very fact that you can see an obvious improvement to total look of the paint with proper sealant and wax treatment proves that you can derive actual benefits from application. They use the argument that people have to strip and reapply LSPs which is akin to banging head to wall....well it's called maintenance. You wash your car don't you? You groom yourself don't you? Cut your hair? Trim your nails? It's part of the process. As long as you use good quality products, most of the arguments posed are invalid. Don't use wax that you can get from the local $1 store lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 PM

I brought some more goods - they came in today. :$

3 more Dodo Juice waxes, more pads & some spot pads, some drying detailer to help dry the car, some pad wash, some detailing brushes, some more drying towels, and some other odds and sods... This is even before I've touched the car once! lol
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM

I brought some more supplies. The products so far:

Various microfibre towels, drying cloths, mitts, window waffles etc...

Polishing machine and all things pads...

Snowfoam, sandpaper, brushes & randoms...

All things Britemax & Auto Glym...

Polishing compounds & randoms...

All things extinct, applicators, and Rim Wax...

Please ignore the quality of the pictures and the messy background, that's my storage shed at the back of my house...

I think that's it for now. Less buying, more cleaning!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol. Great stuff Off to an excellent starting collection. I think that's Purple Haze, Blue Velvet, and Rainforest Rub? To go along with Supernatural? You've got enough wax to last a long long time
Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Azn_C300
lol. Great stuff Off to an excellent starting collection. I think that's Purple Haze, Blue Velvet, and Rainforest Rub? To go along with Supernatural? You've got enough wax to last a long long time
Thanks, couldn't have done it without your help, so really appreciated Mike.

Almost right with the waxes. From bottom to top its:

Rainforest Rub
Purple Haze Pro
Blue Velvet Pro
Supernatural

I think with the Pros you get slightly less wax (200ml vs 250ml) but they last longer.

People were raving about RR so I thought I'd check it out. Being a soft wax I figured it could be useful when you want to wax really quickly.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 AM

'14 CLA 45
Thanks, couldn't have done it without your help, so really appreciated Mike.

Almost right with the waxes. From bottom to top its:

Rainforest Rub
Purple Haze Pro
Blue Velvet Pro
Supernatural

I think with the Pros you get slightly less wax (200ml vs 250ml) but they last longer.

People were raving about RR so I thought I'd check it out. Being a soft wax I figured it could be useful when you want to wax really quickly.
You are officially addicted to detailing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help a Newbie buy some products