Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Need advice on some products

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Need advice on some products

I'm looking for the following and need some advice on which products to go with:

1) Shampoo: I've heard of PBW and Chemical Guys - Maxi Suds. Which one is better?

2) Sealant/Wax: I've heard of Klasse AIO and Menzerna. The Menz. line has about 6 products. Which one is better? If I used this then would I need to use a wax too (I already have the P21S Concours look)?

3) Tires: Im looking for something that will produce a depp shine and also not attract dirt. I've heard that PBW does not produce a deep shine but it's water based and does not attract dirt. I've heard of BlackFire. Again, which one

4) Quick Detailers (int and ext): totally lost on which one is the best.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Keep in mind opinions will vary detailer to detailer...

Originally Posted by AustinGuy
1) Shampoo: I've heard of PBW and Chemical Guys - Maxi Suds. Which one is better?
Personally, I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear for my shampoo when I want to strip LSPs for a clean slate to work with. Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II is my maintenance wash. I'd highly recommend both of those, or even Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss for a little extra gloss after wash. Optimum No Rinse is also really good if you want to do two bucket waterless wash and I've had great success using.

2) Sealant/Wax: I've heard of Klasse AIO and Menzerna. The Menz. line has about 6 products. Which one is better? If I used this then would I need to use a wax too (I already have the P21S Concours look)?
For sealants, I'm a big fan of Optimum Opti-Seal and Menzerna FMJ. Menzerna just came out with Power Lock which I'm dying to try, but need to exhaust my current sealant supply first.

For carnauba waxes, I'm a believer in Dodo Juice line. If you've got the cash, Supernatural is the way to go. Otherwise, some of their other lines are also very good. With a white car, I've also used their Light Fantastic. If you want something with durability that will last (important for harsher winter months), you can't go wrong with Collinite 845.

For spray waxes, Pinnacle Liquid Sovereign.

3) Tires: Im looking for something that will produce a depp shine and also not attract dirt. I've heard that PBW does not produce a deep shine but it's water based and does not attract dirt. I've heard of BlackFire. Again, which one
I'm currently using and loving Optimum Tire Gel. You can mix it 50/50 to a spray, but I prefer to keep it in gel form. Doesn't look cheap shiny, just a nice natural matte black look. Doesn't sling at all.

4) Quick Detailers (int and ext): totally lost on which one is the best.
Finish Kare 425 is hands down the best I've used for exterior QD.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500 & E55 AMG
All great Choices above What is your price range on what you want to spend will ultimately determine what is best for you.

For Shampoo: The ones mentioned above are great I also Like Dodo Juice Born to be mild. One of the things you need to look at with shampoo's is what do you want out of it? Great cleaning power, Gloss, Protection?

Sealants: I thing the FMJ is great stuff but I like the Jetseal 109 better.

Waxes: +1 for dodo juice I have had great results with there lighter colored waxes. I just got my double wax in and can't wait to give that a try.

Tires: I don't think I can help you much there as I normally just pick up whats at the store on sale currently using Miguers hot tire shine gel. I am pleased with it does not leave run parks on the tires and last a good two weeks for me.

Quick Detailer: Once again have not used to many of them at the moment I am having good luck with Chemical guys Extreme Slick Synthetic. I also have been using a ONR mixed to about 1 oz ONR to 34 oz water. Great for saving product and money if you use just about every day.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 AM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by madmla21
All great Choices above What is your price range on what you want to spend will ultimately determine what is best for you.

For Shampoo: The ones mentioned above are great I also Like Dodo Juice Born to be mild. One of the things you need to look at with shampoo's is what do you want out of it? Great cleaning power, Gloss, Protection?

Waxes: +1 for dodo juice I have had great results with there lighter colored waxes. I just got my double wax in and can't wait to give that a try.

Tires: I don't think I can help you much there as I normally just pick up whats at the store on sale currently using Miguers hot tire shine gel. I am pleased with it does not leave run parks on the tires and last a good two weeks for me.

Quick Detailer: Once again have not used to many of them at the moment I am having good luck with Chemical guys Extreme Slick Synthetic. I also have been using a ONR mixed to about 1 oz ONR to 34 oz water. Great for saving product and money if you use just about every day.
Honestly, I think that statements such as gloss and protection from a shampoo are way overrated. A good shampoo will be well balanced for it to to not eat away from the wax and/ or sealant and provide good lubricity to avoid scratches when used with a good washing mitt. The only question you should ask yourself is if you are using the two bucket method or foam gun as shampoos perform differently in either.
Shampoo for Foamgun

Same with the detailer - usually overrated. I have used several brand detailers and just now figured out that the ONR and water mix does just as good of a job. Great as a clay bar lubricant as well with a different mixture.
ONR

IMO Jetseal > FMJ
Jetseal
Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Azn_C300,

Re. sealants - I need it for my wife's 2006 Lexus GX470. It's about 5 yrs old and in fairly good shape.

I want to do a full clay, paint cleaner and then the sealent+wax. Is that okay and if so, is the Menz FMJ still the best (vs. Klasse AOI)?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Azn_C300,

Re. sealants - I need it for my wife's 2006 Lexus GX470. It's about 5 yrs old and in fairly good shape.

I want to do a full clay, paint cleaner and then the sealent+wax. Is that okay and if so, is the Menz FMJ still the best (vs. Klasse AOI)?
The "best" is subjective. Either FMJ or Klasse AIO will do a good job that I'm sure you'll be happy with. Even Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 as previously mentioned does a great job and is an all around good sealant in terms of looks and durability. Remember, your car will only look as good as the base surface you're working on. If it's full of swirls, doesn't matter what sealant you use, it won't be up to it's full potential. If her Lexus has these issues, then Klasse AIO might be a better option since it's also a polish, not just a sealant.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 AM

'09 S63 AMG
I'm looking for great cleaning power AND gloss/protection. Is there 1 product that will do all or do I have to get > 1?
How is the FMJ better?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 AM

'09 S63 AMG
QD's vs. spray waxes vs. QD's w/wax

Guys, what's the real diff. here and which one would suite best for quick detailing/touch up's between car washes?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM

'14 CLA 45
Guys, what's the real diff. here and which one would suite best for quick detailing/touch up's between car washes?
I think you are putting too much thought into a simple QD. It's only soft water with an added lubricant. They really do not add any gloss or protection to your paint. That should all be provided with former polishing and a correctly applied coat of wax.

A QD with added wax sounds idiotic when you already have a layer of wax on your paint.

As for FMJ vs 109. It really is a personal preference. Results vary among people depending on the color and make of the car, if and what kind of wax is applied on top of the sealant.

The best you can do is polish the paint properly, apply a sealant as a base coat of protection, add a layer of wax on top for additional protection and gloss and then wash your car with wax friendly soap such as meguiar's, adam's etc. Then you can wipe down your car with a QD (water and ONR mixture) between washes as long as the paint does not collect too much dirt.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In QDs you're basically looking for lubricity and some cleaning power. Some I admit will make your car shine more from what I've seen, but not a huge difference. ONR mix is a great QD and I use it for certain situations. It's not the slickest formula out there, but a good blend of lube and cleaning. I'll use it for the usual bird bombs or dirt spray. I break out my FK 425 for removing dust and the added anti-dust/static properties.