Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Review: Mothers NEW Back to Black Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S550
Review: Mothers NEW Back to Black Tire Shine

Yesterday I had the chance to test out Mothers' new tire dressing; Back to Black Tire Shine.

I'm very picky with what I use on the tires of my car so I decided to test it out on my grandparents' 2006 Buick Lucerne. I chose their car in particular because they just recently had new tires put on which have never had any previous tire dressing applied. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to see if Mothers' new tire dressing really did bring back the black.

Here is the test subject next to the products being used. To spread the tire shine evenly across the surface of the tire I used a Cobra Flex Foam Applicator. I really like these because they are big and easy to hold.

Before application.

Back to Back Tire Shine comes in a 24oz spray bottle that's very comfortable to hold and the dressing itself is transparent.

I did about 6 VERY light sprays for one half of the tire.

I used the Cobra Flex Foam Applicator to spread the tire shine evenly across the surface of the tire.

Here you can see the right side of the tire has been treated with Back to Black Tire Shine while the left side has nothing on it.

I went ahead and did the rest of the tire and it turned out great. I was really impressed with the low-gloss finish and the fact that about 2 minutes after application it dried to the touch.

After doing all four tires I pulled the car out of the garage to get a picture in the sun.

Pros: Price, ease of use. It took very little product to do all four tires. It provided a very rich, low-gloss finish that dried to the touch.

Cons: Over spray. Even when held 6" from the tire using very light sprays, over spray is inevitable.

Summary: Great product for the price, but durability is yet to be determined though. I will check on how well it is holding up next weekend and report back.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Shine

Last edited by Nick@autogeek; 01-31-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 AM

2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
Do you have an update? When I look at tire dressings, I look to see if the product has a tendency to fly off, that would leave black spots all over the side of the freshly washed car. Does this product fly off?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2010 S550
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg 350
Do you have an update? When I look at tire dressings, I look to see if the product has a tendency to fly off, that would leave black spots all over the side of the freshly washed car. Does this product fly off?
I actually saw the vehicle last weekend and about 80% of the dressing had worn off. 2 weeks for a spray on tire dressing isn't bad at all. The Back to Black Tire Shine dries to the touch and does NOT sling off the tires.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM

2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
Thanks for the update!!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2010 S550
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg 350
Thanks for the update!!
No problem.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

2008 C350
To mitigate the overspray issue could you spray the applicator? Or does that not work for this product?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2010 S550
Originally Posted by phobos512
To mitigate the overspray issue could you spray the applicator? Or does that not work for this product?
I actually did try spraying the product directly on to the applicator, and while that avoided the over spray issue, I actually found that it took more product to evenly coat the tire because the applicator absorbs most of the product before it is applied.

Shortly after using the product I discovered that the tip of the sprayer actually pulls out to provide a more narrow stream. This definitely helped with the over spray.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM

2011 ml350 Bluetec
I searched for years for a tire dressing that wouldn't fly off or wash off in the rain. I used Armor-All which looked great but tended to fly off unless you left the car unused for a few days (impractical). Another problem with Armor-All and most greasy polymer dressings is that they not only wash off in the rain, they leave an ugly whitish film on the tire after washing off.
Then I tried Turtle Wax Ice in liquid form. I was using it to polish the paint only when I accidentally went over on some rubber trim (as you do), and noticed that it left the rubber a deep rich black. I no longer use Ice for the paint, but wouldn't use anything else for rubber, plastic and tires. Doesn't wash off, fly off and lasts for quite a while if you skip a few washes.
Sorry to step on your review, Autogeek, but some people may already have Ice in their garage but haven't tried it on the tires yet.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2010 S550
Originally Posted by Hu99
I searched for years for a tire dressing that wouldn't fly off or wash off in the rain. I used Armor-All which looked great but tended to fly off unless you left the car unused for a few days (impractical). Another problem with Armor-All and most greasy polymer dressings is that they not only wash off in the rain, they leave an ugly whitish film on the tire after washing off.
Then I tried Turtle Wax Ice in liquid form. I was using it to polish the paint only when I accidentally went over on some rubber trim (as you do), and noticed that it left the rubber a deep rich black. I no longer use Ice for the paint, but wouldn't use anything else for rubber, plastic and tires. Doesn't wash off, fly off and lasts for quite a while if you skip a few washes.
Sorry to step on your review, Autogeek, but some people may already have Ice in their garage but haven't tried it on the tires yet.
Don't sweat it, we're always open to sharing new ideas on how to use different products.