Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

New Black S500...any tips to prevent/maintain paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
New Black S500...any tips to prevent/maintain paint?

I am picking up my new S500 in 2 weeks. Black/Charcoal. Any advice on how I should care for it when new to prevent swirl marks, etc?

I am in NY, and am looking for a quality detailer or the right products (I have no problem waxing myself).

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:55 PM

Check out this site, it has some great info.

http://www.autopia.org

Washing the car properly will prevent most swirls. Don't bring it to hand wash or those touchless wash places. They will swirl black paint really good and fast.

When I wash I start with the wheels/rims first. Then I wash the car from the top down (roof, hood, trunk, side panels) I use 100% cotton made in the USA wash mitts. I use one for the top sections of the car and an other for the lower half (below the molding). If the car is really dirty, I use a two bucket method. One with the car wash solution and another with plain water. I rinse the mitt clean after each panel I wash. (What can I say I'm **** ). Drying the car, I use 100% USA cotton towels I bought from Macy's. They are called Fieldcrest. I also cut off all the stiching that comes on the towels. I also have microfiber towels I bought online that are excellent for drying off the car.

Remember, don't wash, dry, wax or polish in circular motions. Straight back and forth motions.

Some people tell the dealership not to prep the car when it arrives. When dealerships prep cars they usually swirl up the paint, then cover it up with a glaze that does not last very long.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:12 PM

Why would one detailer NOT create swirl marks, yet one would? Is it because they use circular motions and/or a wheel?

I can see how a drive through car wash would create the marks, but a hand wash can do the same damage?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Taurian
Why would one detailer NOT create swirl marks, yet one would? Is it because they use circular motions and/or a wheel?

I can see how a drive through car wash would create the marks, but a hand wash can do the same damage?
It's just like anything else in life, some people are more experienced and just do a better job. An average detailer most likely will not put swirl marks in the paint as long as they are carefull and use the right equipment.

Hand wash places use the same towels and wash mitts on 100's of cars a day. All it takes is a little bit of dirt to get caught between the paint and towel.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:59 PM

True. Any advice on waxing for a black car?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:42 PM

It depends on the kind of wax you will be using. Look at the sticky posts in this section of the forum. AlBoston has posted excellent tips.

Again the key factor is using guality applicators to apply the product and quality towels to remove the product. Also don't apply or remove in circular motions.

For black cars I like to use Klasse, nice shine and long lasting. Lately I have been using S100 paste wax. It goes on like butter and it's a piece of cake to remove. The only draw back is that it doesn't last as long.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Hey taurian,
To keep it looking nice read these 2 threads.

Washing Instructions

and

How to: applying waxes and paint sealants.

I suggest doing both of these when you take delivery of the car.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:47 PM

Alboston,

Should I let my dealer prep the car, or do you think they will damage it? I use Rallye in Roslyn, NY...I would be shocked if they delivered cars with swirl marks.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Taurian
Alboston,

Should I let my dealer prep the car, or do you think they will damage it? I use Rallye in Roslyn, NY...I would be shocked if they delivered cars with swirl marks.
Ha! Get ready to be shocked. To deliver a car without swirl marks is much too difficult for a dealership to do. To not get swirls on a black car they dealer would have to wash your S500 using the washing technique posted on the forum, which takes me about an hour to 1.5 hours. A dealer would not invest this much time into it, just to wash a car. Take delivery with their prep at your own risk. However I can guarantee if you want your car swirl free and you let them prep it, you will be doing a good 5 hours worth of swirl removal. Check the SL55 I detailed, he let the dealer prep it.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:49 PM

Audi Q7
Major Help

I got my CLK 430 2002 black, pick it up few weeks ago and been to a hand car wahs and did some 4 hour highway trip and my car already looks like is 10 years old !!!!!

Do you know any detailers in NJ area that are good ?
or actually i don;t mind going up to boston !!! heheeh for a good detail job ..
please help and any advise ..
thank you