Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Cleaning your CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
Cleaning your CL55

Having tried practically every type of solution for cleaning, waxing, removing brake dust etc...I have come across some pretty cool things I use which other CL55 owners may like.

First of all, DO NOT USE Chamious on your car...leaves swirl marks. Use Microfiber towels - they ae truly amazing.

There are different towels for waxing, washing, dusting etc. so check to see which towel you need before you go and buy some.

I also just got this spray wax (with carnubq) by a company called 4-Star Proucts out of Florida. I have to say, I am really impressed by it. After you wash and dry your car, use this and you should be able to finish your car in under 30 min - with an amazing glass shine.

I bought the same company's glass cleaner which is great as well.

For wheels - I use P21S Wheel Cleaner - in my opinion the best out there. Works really well and allows you to get ALL the grime out of the rims pretty quickly.

If anyone wants the link to the store I got the stuff at, let me know and I will post. I am not affiliated with the company at all.

I have used Meguirs, Platinum, Pinnacle, zymol etc. So far the stuff I am using now seems to have the best results.

Happy Cleaning!
Old 06-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Thumbs up

Try Zaino !

Old 06-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
Which product(s)?
Old 06-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I use their whole system. ZFX, Z2, Z6. Works great.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It Varies
Which Micro-fiber towel do you use? I purchased one from Kragen that just spread the water around, even after wringing it out. I want a really good quality micro-fiber towel that actually dries well. If you can tell me where you got yours, id really appreciate it.

Oh and Adam, I'm going to be ordering those Zaino Products online and give them a try. About the ZFX.....what is that?? I read that is an accelerator that allows you to polish your car multiple times. Is that right? How does it work? I have a black car and I want to make sure that I dont ruin it with swirl marks. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
ZFX takes the place of Z1 (You need one or the other). ZFX accelerates the curing time of the polish (Z2) and allows up to 3 coats to be applied a in a 24 hour period vs 1 coat while using just Z1. ZFX is the way to go.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Here is the effects of a good Zaino polish as shown on my Maranello.
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning your CL55-dscf0014.jpg  
Old 06-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Here is the Zaino shine on my CL... Look at the reflection in the hood and doors:
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning your CL55-escf0001-29-.jpg  
Old 06-04-2003, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It Varies
Very Nice. I didn't know you had a Maranello...VERY nice. As far as the polishing, it looks great. I can't wait to get mine. Do you order online or from a store? Also, do you use a microfiber towel as well to dry?
Old 06-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I always order straight from Zaino thenselves. You can't order online, you must print out the orderform and mail it to them. Zaino ships UPS as soon as they get your order as well. I do not use microfiber towels, however on black that is most definetly the way to go.

I would recommend grabbing some clay as well and doing a quick clay of your car. The best way to get a great Zaino shine is to start with a good base. Claying will ensure that the base is perfect for preperation.

Im sure AlBoston can give you some tips on what to use with a black car as his black cars look awesome.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
How about some more pics of the 550.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
How about some more pics of the 550.
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning your CL55-dscf0001.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by awiner
OMG! That car is gorgeous! Very nice color too.

Thanks for the pic.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
I bought my Microfiber towels from PremiumAutoCare.com

Good prices and good selection. Call the guy up there and he will guide you on which towels you should use - depending on what you are using them for on the car.

I am going to try the Zaino as well. I would suggest the Spray Wax from PremiumAutoCare. Amazing stuff - non abrasive and takes about 20 min to do the whole car.

I will post pictures as soon as it stops raining here in NYC.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by CL55NYC
I bought my Microfiber towels from PremiumAutoCare.com

Good prices and good selection. Call the guy up there and he will guide you on which towels you should use - depending on what you are using them for on the car.

I am going to try the Zaino as well. I would suggest the Spray Wax from PremiumAutoCare. Amazing stuff - non abrasive and takes about 20 min to do the whole car.

I will post pictures as soon as it stops raining here in NYC.

ehh, there are better towels than those. I suggest microfibertech and neatitems.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:13 PM

2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
NYC, what is the brand and name of the spray wax you got from 4 star? I checked and they have quite a few brands.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2003, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Crankin
NYC, what is the brand and name of the spray wax you got from 4 star? I checked and they have quite a few brands.
Thanks
spray wax isn't that great.... I can put on P21S paste wax or any other easy to use paste wax in the same amount of time. Don't expect much protection or longevity from a spray wax, on a black car it would be lucky to survive a week in the hot sun. I say buy some quick detailer spray and paste wax of your choice. I have found Blitz to be the most durable.

CL55NYC, here are black cars I did with zaino (after a complete prep)

Black CL55 AMG with 2x Zaino Z5

now this is the glassy look i love....

Last edited by AlBoston; 06-06-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
The Spray Wax I bought from them is the 4-90 Spray Wax Plus with Carnuba.

So far the results I have had with it are great. It takes me 15 min to do the whole car - if there is a faster solution with the same results, please let me know.

As well, I never leave my cars sitting out in the sun to bake for extended hours. So maybe that is why I have had such good results.

As for better places to buy Microfiber towels...explain the difference to me between 100% microfiber towels and others? Microfibertech does offer an elite towel with 220,000 microfibers per square inch which looks good but I have not used one.
I do notice that Microfibertech is cheaper - so I will give them a shot and buy some there today to try them out. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
AlBoston,

Cars look Great!!! I have not used Zaino yet but I am going to get some and try it out.

Dont get me wrong, Spray Wax is for a quick polish that makes the car look like a mirror. It is supposed to be sunny here today so I am going to take some pics of mine and post them.

I also dont have hours and hours to spend on detailing so that is why I found the spray wax so useful.

What do you use for the rims and tires? I use the P21S Wheel Cleaner. Seems to work really well. I also use 4Stars glass cleaner and have gotten a great shine on my windows and it is not abrasive with tinted windows which I have as well.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Apaprently...

...didn't read the stickys or faqs first.

But welcome to the forum. These guys are absolute detailing MASTERS! And AlBoston's cars and expertise are unparalleled here! I'm sure he'll suggest you check out autopia.com as well, it's a forum like this one, but for detailing.

Originally posted by CL55NYC
Which product(s)?

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 06-07-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by awiner
I do not use microfiber towels, however on black that is most definetly the way to go.

If you don't mind me asking, is it because Zaino recommends 100% cotton towels instead of MF? Just curious to see what you use... 100% cotton of course, but what brand? seems like everyone uses MF these days.

Oh beautiful 550, such a nice color as well!
Old 06-07-2003, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Re: Apaprently...

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
...didn't read the stickys or faqs first.

But welcome to the forum. These guys are absolute detailing MASTERS! And AlBoston's cars and expertise are unparalleled here! I'm sure he'll suggest you check out autopia.com as well, it's a forum like this one, but for detailing.
Thanks joe! All my cars look terrible right now . Seems like England's weather came to new england. It has been raining for weeks!

Blue Benz:

Reason why zaino recommends cotton over MF is "due to the inconsistency in microfiber towels, some are scratch free and some will scratch the hell out of your car" Thats pretty much what sal zaino told me. I disagree with him because all the MF towels I use have NEVER scratched my car. I ONLY use MINT GREEN neatitems microfiber terry towels and Microfibertech Elite towels on my paint, nothing else.

With that said cotton can sometimes leave fine scratches (depending on the towel, if not made in USA) and sometimes leaves smears and doesn't completely remove the product in one swipe like an MF towel will, that is why I like MF on black more. Cotton is friendlier to the skin I think and works easier with zaino. The cotton towels I buy are 100% made in USA cotton towels. Royal velvet is good and charisma (i think). www.lazaino.com sells the zaino recommended towels serged and trimmed, perfect for detailing. You do pay a premium for the labor of trimming the towels though.

Last edited by AlBoston; 06-07-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Re: Apaprently...

Originally posted by AlBoston
Thanks joe! All my cars look terrible right now . Seems like England's weather came to new england. It has been raining for weeks!

Blue Benz:

Reason why zaino recommends cotton over MF is "due to the inconsistency in microfiber towels, some are scratch free and some will scratch the hell out of your car" Thats pretty much what sal zaino told me. I disagree with him because all the MF towels I use have NEVER scratched my car. I ONLY use MINT GREEN neatitems microfiber terry towels and Microfibertech Elite towels on my paint, nothing else.

With that said cotton can sometimes leave fine scratches (depending on the towel, if not made in USA) and sometimes leaves smears and doesn't completely remove the product in one swipe like an MF towel will, that is why I like MF on black more. Cotton is friendlier to the skin I think and works easier with zaino. The cotton towels I buy are 100% made in USA cotton towels. Royal velvet is good and charisma (i think). www.lazaino.com sells the zaino recommended towels serged and trimmed, perfect for detailing. You do pay a premium for the labor of trimming the towels though.
So which would MF towel do u think is the most absorbent? On mocrofibertecs website i see that they have one or 2 just for use on cars. Do u think those are better than the others not for cars? Or at least what they calim for a car or not.

I have some MF towels i got in Lowes, but they are really really not absorbent, on my black they they would leave water marks all over if u dont wipe it over with a terry towel. Although i find them good for somethings (like glass) I cant dry my whole car with them as i would like to. Right now I only use 100% terry made in the USA towels on my cars but i would like a MF one to dry my whole car with. I just wanna know if a good MF towel can really do the job, and if so which would be best with your experience with both?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2003, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Re: Re: Re: Apaprently...

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
So which would MF towel do u think is the most absorbent? On mocrofibertecs website i see that they have one or 2 just for use on cars. Do u think those are better than the others not for cars? Or at least what they calim for a car or not.

I have some MF towels i got in Lowes, but they are really really not absorbent, on my black they they would leave water marks all over if u dont wipe it over with a terry towel. Although i find them good for somethings (like glass) I cant dry my whole car with them as i would like to. Right now I only use 100% terry made in the USA towels on my cars but i would like a MF one to dry my whole car with. I just wanna know if a good MF towel can really do the job, and if so which would be best with your experience with both?

Thanks
I wouldn't ever let towels from Lowes touch my car... Here is the towel I use to dry my car. A zainoed car I can dry with just one towel (no wringing out), however sometimes it takes 2.
Waffle weave towel
Old 06-08-2003, 02:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Apaprently...

Originally posted by AlBoston
I wouldn't ever let towels from Lowes touch my car... Here is the towel I use to dry my car. A zainoed car I can dry with just one towel (no wringing out), however sometimes it takes 2.
Waffle weave towel

Well u let your PC touch your cars from Lowes why not towels? j/k.

I am gonna order that towel u gave me the link for right now. Only I just wanna know one thing, why do they say its not as soft as the smaller one? Will that still be fine for a black car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cleaning your CL55