Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Clear bra? Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS550 Launch Edition
Clear bra? Yes or no?

Im getting my brand new cls550 tinted in the morning and I'd like some opinions as to if clear bra is worth it. Does it look invisible? Does it age well? I'd hate to regret getting it if it looks ratty. The installer is highly recommended by the way.

Opinions please!

My appointment is in 12 hours! Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Up where I am, I'd say yes. It's a necessity IMO if there is a lot of gravel on the roads from the winter roads from sanding. If you're in Southern Texas where there isn't much of that, it may not be necessary. The paint is pretty resilient, but regardless, I'd recommend doing any panels that are metal (hood,fenders, a pillars, top of roof). The bumper isn't required, but if you can get a deal on it, then I'd go for it too.

It looks pretty much invisible if you get the whole part covered in it. Don't go for the 1/3 hood or fender tips etc. Those you'll see the edges over time from waxing etc. getting caught when cleaning. Make sure it's a premium film to ensure it will last. It's all about maintenance, wax the clear bra like you would without it, don't use any abrasives like polishes as that can affect the finish. Most films come with a warranty good for many years, so if it does yellow etc., it's free to replace.

Last edited by Illusive; 02-22-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 PM

How long do they last before they are noticeable or showing wear?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Depends on how well it's maintained IMO. I had it done on my 09 C350 (hood, fenders, a pillars, mirrors) and it looks just like it did almost three years ago. I sold my C350 and got a C63, first thing I did was get the whole front end covered in XPEL from my previous experience on my other cars. Gravel is a big issue in Calgary especially coupled with the salt that is used when snow hits the ground. My parents 01 C320 is showing a lot of rust on the door and fenders near the front where rocks would kick up and chip the paint as well as the hood and front of the roof and a pillars.

Darker cars, if you have any edges (i.e. half hood etc.), it'll be easier to spot the edge especially after applying a paste wax as it will collect on that edge.

These films have come a long way from when they were first introduced many years ago and hold up much better to previous problems like yellowing and abrasion. Again, if you get it done at a reputable place, ask about their warranty on the film. Make sure if you ever have any issues like a tear or yellowing that you didn't do intentionally, that they will reinstall it with new film without charging you for it. Good luck!

Last edited by Illusive; 02-22-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Paint Protection Film (PPF) - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1485839
Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM

clk63 black series
I say do to your car as you like on your woman. If she has a nice rack....no bra...which your car does so
Old 02-25-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E320
A little late to the reply - but I've been very happy with mine. I do a lot of highway miles and it helps keep the front looking new. I made sure mine had no visible seams - we planned it so they covered all full pieces. I think you would see a seam if you let them cover just part (such as the lower 1/4 of your hood). If you do a panel - do the whole panel.

I did not do my hood - just bumper, lights, mirrors. Overall, I'm very pleased and feel it was worth the money. I haven't had it long enough to worry about yellowing yet... I bought a bottle of the XPEL cleaner and it works OK. Haven't tried any quick detailers on it - sticking with the XPEL stuff.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks all. I went with the bumpers, a frame, the first third of hood and fenders, and the headlights. It looks pretty good and I think it was a good idea.