Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

**Paint Question (Clear Coat)**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
**Paint Question (Clear Coat)**

Does anyone know how many clear coats MB puts on our cars from the factory?

Im getting my car re-painted and want to make sure there is an ample amount of clear coats to ensure longevity.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
I believe just one coat of clearcoat but it is a very special, very hard, very scratch resistant
clear coat.
You may want to inquire if they are using MB OEM clearcoat or exactly what they plan on using.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Oh I see. I wonder what would be a sufficient amount of coats or something that'd be close to OEM cuz I doubt it'd be possible to get OEM clear or factory finish
Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Since 2003, MB uses CeramiClear Clearcoat. If your color code has a "C" in it, you have CeramiClear.

PPG's CeramiClear clearcoat was the first clearcoat to use nanoparticle technology to achieve a previously unattained level of scratch, mar, and etch resistance. This patented technology creates a hard, silica-like surface that provides superior resistance to damage caused by day-to-day use, car washes, and environmental hazards such as acid rain and tree sap. While this technology is currently employed as a two-component liquid clearcoat, PPG is very close to commercializing a one-component version for use in automotive assembly plants.

CeramiClear is a process I don't think you will find anywhere outside the factory.

See: http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...003/0001868212
Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 AM

2013 CLS250 CDI
Hi

A couple of months after I had my car from new, the neighbours son hit a sizeable stone up in the air with a tennis racket, guess where it landed, smack in the middle of my bonnet. I was not pleased, but thats another story. When I had the body repairs done by a Mercedes approved repairer I asked about the nano clearcoat and they said they apply it after respraying as per MB standards. I have not noticed any worse body condition of the car in those areas and I have had it for over 8 years.
If it cannot be applied outside the factory I wonder what happens to those many cars that need repairing after a bump.

Last edited by tetra123; 09-09-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
There are several requirements.

* I prefer that I use a supplier who specifies Glasurit.

https://www.basfrefinish.com

* Use the paint kits

Nano paint sealer set A 000 986 01 72
MB Nano polish A 000 986 87 74
Paint cleaner A 001 986 37 71
Car Wash A 001 986 41 71 <<< shines like a mirror
Tar remover A 001 986 40 71

* Alternately use Synpol from Wurth.

http://www.synpol.it/catalogo/prodotti/synpol (really amazing wet look for the paint)

* Other products

Paint repair kit
Westfalia Van Conversion GmbH
Am Sandberg 45
33378 Rheda-Wiedenbrück
Germany
Fax: +49 5242 15470
www.westfalia-van.de
Order no.: 900001582218

Meguiars Clay Bar kit
http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/...ailing-system/

* General notes
In my humble experience you should use a paint thickness gauge to determine if the refinished area meets with the OEM standards. Have someone with the correct lights to inspect the paint.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-led-vs-xenon/

Then have a skilled craftsman wet/dry the paint to remove the high points. I found Synpol forgives most if not all mistakes a person can make but it works best with the identical paint from factory which is usually Glasurit.

If you do a search for the word NANO in the Mercedes WIS you will find a few documents talking about how to manage your paint.

AR98.00-P-0150AK Overview of MB materials and how they are processed
AP98.00-P-9830A Application of nano paint sealer
GF98.00-P-2005-02A Color survey general: designo colors
AP98.30-P-8070A Cleaning and care of MB vehicle paintwork
SI98.00-P-0017A Service information: Matt paintwork
After-Sales Paint Technology Guide http://aftersales.mercedes-benz.com

https://portal.aftersales.i.daimler....eitfaeden.html

There are also specific paint documents for specific chassis types. But those are not so interesting.

I think that would give you enough information to know where you are at.

Last edited by benzmodz; 09-09-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
DuPont's SupraShield™, PPG's Optech™ and CeramiClear™ Clear Coat are all binary clear coat compositions using ceramic particles designed to offer long-term scratch resistance, gloss and durability and is applied as a final coating over a traditional clear coat, CeramiClear™ has an approximate thickness of 7.5 µ (0.5 Mil) this top layer also contains the paint systems UV protection

PPG have also developed an aftermarket refinishing clear coat to provide approximately the same level of protection as the OEM CeramiClear™ Clear Coat nanotechnology paint. PPG Industries Inc and Menzerna have collaborated in formulating an aftermarket abrasive polishes specifically for removing surface imperfections like scratches and paint defects for the CeramiClear™ Clear Coat paint
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by awiner
Since 2003, MB uses CeramiClear Clearcoat. If your color code has a "C" in it, you have CeramiClear.

PPG's CeramiClear clearcoat was the first clearcoat to use nanoparticle technology to achieve a previously unattained level of scratch, mar, and etch resistance. This patented technology creates a hard, silica-like surface that provides superior resistance to damage caused by day-to-day use, car washes, and environmental hazards such as acid rain and tree sap. While this technology is currently employed as a two-component liquid clearcoat, PPG is very close to commercializing a one-component version for use in automotive assembly plants.

CeramiClear is a process I don't think you will find anywhere outside the factory.

See: http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...003/0001868212
My car being a 2002, which means it was probably built in ~2001 I dont think my car has the ceramiclear coat. But good to know, thanks for the info
Originally Posted by tetra123
Hi

A couple of months after I had my car from new, the neighbours son hit a sizeable stone up in the air with a tennis racket, guess where it landed, smack in the middle of my bonnet. I was not pleased, but thats another story. When I had the body repairs done by a Mercedes approved repairer I asked about the nano clearcoat and they said they apply it after respraying as per MB standards. I have not noticed any worse body condition of the car in those areas and I have had it for over 8 years.
If it cannot be applied outside the factory I wonder what happens to those many cars that need repairing after a bump.
Hmm, agreed. They must have something that is near factory standards...
Originally Posted by benzmodz
There are several requirements.

* I prefer that I use a supplier who specifies Glasurit.

https://www.basfrefinish.com

* Use the paint kits

Nano paint sealer set A 000 986 01 72
MB Nano polish A 000 986 87 74
Paint cleaner A 001 986 37 71
Car Wash A 001 986 41 71 <<< shines like a mirror
Tar remover A 001 986 40 71

* Alternately use Synpol from Wurth.

http://www.synpol.it/catalogo/prodotti/synpol (really amazing wet look for the paint)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYbcnREU7F8

* Other products

Paint repair kit
Westfalia Van Conversion GmbH
Am Sandberg 45
33378 Rheda-Wiedenbrück
Germany
Fax: +49 5242 15470
www.westfalia-van.de
Order no.: 900001582218

Meguiars Clay Bar kit
http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/...ailing-system/

* General notes
In my humble experience you should use a paint thickness gauge to determine if the refinished area meets with the OEM standards. Have someone with the correct lights to inspect the paint.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-led-vs-xenon/

Then have a skilled craftsman wet/dry the paint to remove the high points. I found Synpol forgives most if not all mistakes a person can make but it works best with the identical paint from factory which is usually Glasurit.

If you do a search for the word NANO in the Mercedes WIS you will find a few documents talking about how to manage your paint.

AR98.00-P-0150AK Overview of MB materials and how they are processed
AP98.00-P-9830A Application of nano paint sealer
GF98.00-P-2005-02A Color survey general: designo colors
AP98.30-P-8070A Cleaning and care of MB vehicle paintwork
SI98.00-P-0017A Service information: Matt paintwork
After-Sales Paint Technology Guide http://aftersales.mercedes-benz.com

https://portal.aftersales.i.daimler....eitfaeden.html

There are also specific paint documents for specific chassis types. But those are not so interesting.

I think that would give you enough information to know where you are at.
Sorry if I misunderstood the whole thing, but are those things to do to maintain and take care of the paint, or is that dealing with the actual application of clear coat?

Originally Posted by TOGWT
DuPont's SupraShield™, PPG's Optech™ and CeramiClear™ Clear Coat are all binary clear coat compositions using ceramic particles designed to offer long-term scratch resistance, gloss and durability and is applied as a final coating over a traditional clear coat, CeramiClear™ has an approximate thickness of 7.5 µ (0.5 Mil) this top layer also contains the paint systems UV protection

PPG have also developed an aftermarket refinishing clear coat to provide approximately the same level of protection as the OEM CeramiClear™ Clear Coat nanotechnology paint. PPG Industries Inc and Menzerna have collaborated in formulating an aftermarket abrasive polishes specifically for removing surface imperfections like scratches and paint defects for the CeramiClear™ Clear Coat paint
Got it. I knew there had to be something close to OEM.

One other question: From my understanding there is a different type of paint that is used on bumpers (front bumper) as opposed to the rest of the car, correct?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
The paint used for bumpers (and other aerodynamic parts) has a flex additive to ensure flexibility, but they generally use the same paint.

The bumper being a different material from the main body sometimes exhibits a very slightly different colour.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
Sorry if I misunderstood the whole thing, but are those things to do to maintain and take care of the paint, or is that dealing with the actual application of clear coat?

According to Mercedes the care of the clear coat is an important part of the overall performance of the paint. The sealer kit is actually very useful. Try Synpol on your existing paint and you will see what I mean.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The dirty one...
Non exterior sheetmetal(bumpers/moldings/mirrors) is typically refinished by OEM suppliers and are done manually (not by robots). The paint they use is totally different then what the factory uses and does not get baked nearly as hot as OEM panels. Paint that suppliers use is more along the lines of what a body shop would use.

And this trim never is a perfect match to the body (except cars that are hand painted at the OEM level at the same plant), because of these different kinds of paint.

Also, many lines in today's modern paint does not require the use of flex agents because they are more flexible. Out of 10 shops that I may visit, only 1 or 2 might use a line that recommends a flex additive.

Just because there is a "C" in the paint code, does not automatically mean that it is equipped with CeramiClear. All MB's(trucks) produced in N.A. do not use this system, but still are coded this way.

Also, PPG does indeed offer a Ceramic Paint System for the refinish industry, but it is not mandated to be used at MB Certifed shops. And Yes, this really doesn't make any sense when you are trying to return a vehicle to OEM specifications.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Originally Posted by TOGWT
The paint used for bumpers (and other aerodynamic parts) has a flex additive to ensure flexibility, but they generally use the same paint.

The bumper being a different material from the main body sometimes exhibits a very slightly different colour.
Ok, thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by benzmodz
According to Mercedes the care of the clear coat is an important part of the overall performance of the paint. The sealer kit is actually very useful. Try Synpol on your existing paint and you will see what I mean.
I will definitely give that a try, thank you.

Originally Posted by David-Fermani
Non exterior sheetmetal(bumpers/moldings/mirrors) is typically refinished by OEM suppliers and are done manually (not by robots). The paint they use is totally different then what the factory uses and does not get baked nearly as hot as OEM panels. Paint that suppliers use is more along the lines of what a body shop would use.

And this trim never is a perfect match to the body (except cars that are hand painted at the OEM level at the same plant), because of these different kinds of paint.

Also, many lines in today's modern paint does not require the use of flex agents because they are more flexible. Out of 10 shops that I may visit, only 1 or 2 might use a line that recommends a flex additive.

Just because there is a "C" in the paint code, does not automatically mean that it is equipped with CeramiClear. All MB's(trucks) produced in N.A. do not use this system, but still are coded this way.

Also, PPG does indeed offer a Ceramic Paint System for the refinish industry, but it is not mandated to be used at MB Certifed shops. And Yes, this really doesn't make any sense when you are trying to return a vehicle to OEM specifications.
Good to know, I am pretty sure the bumpers are going to be sent out for repair. I will be talking to the body shop to see what their process is for everything.