Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Using a water blade?or an "absorber"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using a water blade?or an "absorber"

Some detailers swear by them others don't.I have used the California water blade for years and now bought a newer one different brand.I forget the name buts its very soft and angled insted of just straight.It really helps to remove water quickly,especially with a good coat of wax on.I follow up with an "absorber" synthetic chamois,which totally dries the car.I have used this method to dry my cars for a long time and never noticed scratches or anything,so why all the debate over the use of these products?What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Using a water blade?or an "absorber"

Originally posted by E500Lorinser
Some detailers swear by them others don't.I have used the California water blade for years and now bought a newer one different brand.I forget the name buts its very soft and angled insted of just straight.It really helps to remove water quickly,especially with a good coat of wax on.I follow up with an "absorber" synthetic chamois,which totally dries the car.I have used this method to dry my cars for a long time and never noticed scratches or anything,so why all the debate over the use of these products?What do you guys think?
I think you should stop using the water blade. I have seen far too many people scratch their car with it. I personally like a waffle weave microfiber towel to dry my car. Works the best imo.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:43 PM

hmm

What about the absorber Al? That thing is better then anything else i have used ,it sucks up water like crazy.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
yea ive heard bad things about the water blade thing. you don't need to risk scratches to dry ur car
Old 07-25-2003, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Listen to AlBoston. All the California Water Blade's gonna do is leave scratch marks on your paint.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd even forget about the synthetic chamois also. I only let 100% cotton terry towels made in usa touch my dads car.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
The absorber is ok and is best suited for detail shops that need to wash and dry several cars in a row because of its ability to almost completely wring out all the water. For home users i think the microfiber waffle weave towel is a much better choice. Less risk of scratching if there is still dirt on your paint in some spots and this thing SUCKS up water! The absorber looses its ability to hold water over time IMO. I used to use the absorber all the time but I feel the waffle weave works much better.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:31 AM

C230Kompressor
Absorber

Originally posted by vraa
I'd even forget about the synthetic chamois also. I only let 100% cotton terry towels made in usa touch my dads car.
Well, I had always used one. It's simple, no towels to wash, etc. Never again! For everythign else, I used USA cotton towels, rags, etc., two buckets, if I dropped something, it was done for the day and all the other right stuff. My compromise was the Absorber. Not until I started putting coats of Z5 on my car did I realize how many scratches and swirls were there! I had thought it looked pretty good, but in reality, it looked like hell. The only source for the scratches and swirls I can think of would be the Absorber. After 4 coats of Z5, 90% of them are out, but my Absorber went in the trash after seeing the damage (I feel) it was causing. MF all the way now!

BTW-yesterday, I was sitting on a bench on a sidewalk, right in front of where I parked. I could not beleive the number of people who stopped and looked at my car and commented on the reflection of the white puffy clouds going across the hood. I just kept thinking 'thank you Sal...'
Old 07-25-2003, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Re: Absorber

Originally posted by KOMPRESSORnSC
Well, I had always used one. It's simple, no towels to wash, etc. Never again! For everythign else, I used USA cotton towels, rags, etc., two buckets, if I dropped something, it was done for the day and all the other right stuff. My compromise was the Absorber. Not until I started putting coats of Z5 on my car did I realize how many scratches and swirls were there! I had thought it looked pretty good, but in reality, it looked like hell. The only source for the scratches and swirls I can think of would be the Absorber. After 4 coats of Z5, 90% of them are out, but my Absorber went in the trash after seeing the damage (I feel) it was causing. MF all the way now!

BTW-yesterday, I was sitting on a bench on a sidewalk, right in front of where I parked. I could not beleive the number of people who stopped and looked at my car and commented on the reflection of the white puffy clouds going across the hood. I just kept thinking 'thank you Sal...'
NEED PICS!!! lol. What color is your coupe?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Cotton!!

Originally posted by vraa
Because of the varying degrees of quality, I have not converted to MicroFiber towels yet. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I keep my rubbermaid container full of 100%, made in the USA cotton towels that are washed only with half a cup of liquid tide, and dried with NO fabric softener.

A little bit of towel lint left over on the car? Who cares. Nothing a shot of QD won't solve, or a quick drive down the street.

FWIW

EDJ
Old 07-25-2003, 10:26 AM

C230Kompressor
Re: Re: Absorber

Originally posted by AlBoston
NEED PICS!!! lol. What color is your coupe?
Here's a quick one that I thought was pretty cool. This is with an old (1.2 megapixel) camera, so it's not the best. Oh, and I haven't touched it for a week, and it's been rained on every day. And the bike is probably 8 or 9 ft. away from the reflection-the camera had to be about 6" off the hood to get the shot. Gotta love Zaino...especailly on Orion.
Attached Thumbnails Using a water blade?or an "absorber"-reflectpost.jpg  

Last edited by KOMPRESSORnSC; 07-25-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Re: Re: Re: Absorber

Here's a quick one that I thought was pretty cool. This is with an old (1.2 megapixel) camera, so it's not the best. Oh, and I haven't touched it for a week, and it's been rained on every day. Gotta love Zaino...
wow that pic confuses me a lot... what is it of? I am guessing your car is capri or orion blue... if i had to pick one, i'd say capri.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:50 AM

C230Kompressor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Absorber

Originally posted by AlBoston
wow that pic confuses me a lot... what is it of? I am guessing your car is capri or orion blue... if i had to pick one, i'd say capri.
The bike is hanging on the ceiling of the garage. The angle the photo was taken was very shallow to get the bike to show up on the hood. Kinda messes with you, huh? Orion...it's real dark in the garage.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Re: Re: Re: Absorber

Here's a quick one that I thought was pretty cool. This is with an old (1.2 megapixel) camera, so it's not the best. Oh, and I haven't touched it for a week, and it's been rained on every day. And the bike is probably 8 or 9 ft. away from the reflection-the camera had to be about 6" off the hood to get the shot. Gotta love Zaino...especailly on Orion.

thats a pretty cool and like ali said, confusing pic!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Re: Cotton!!

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
Because of the varying degrees of quality, I have not converted to MicroFiber towels yet. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I keep my rubbermaid container full of 100%, made in the USA cotton towels that are washed only with half a cup of liquid tide, and dried with NO fabric softener.

A little bit of towel lint left over on the car? Who cares. Nothing a shot of QD won't solve, or a quick drive down the street.

FWIW

EDJ
joe, i have had very good luck with neatitems towels. Check www.neatitems.com