Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Baby Shampoo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:44 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Question Baby Shampoo

What is the mildest way to wash your car and remove as little wax as possible? I've used Mequiars, Kit Wash w/ Carnuba, Turtle Wash w/Wax and the new Rain-X wash, they all take away the super smooth just waxed feel. What about using baby shampoo? it's very very mild ( probably the mildest shampoo) and has enough sudsing to float away dirt to keep it from scratching.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Everyone who is a carnuaba fanatic loves Pinnacle's car wash. It has a high oil content instead of harsh detergents with help rejuvinate wax and helps prevent swirls. I personally use Zaino Z7 which restores the zainoed finish to be even glossier and brighter. You could also try using a QD after washing.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:34 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Al I'll give the pinnacle a shot since my car is now coated with lots of Mother's Pure Carnuba. But what about the baby shampoo, any thoughts? Can it damage the paint?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230Kompressor
Originally posted by RJC
Thanks Al I'll give the pinnacle a shot since my car is now coated with lots of Mother's Pure Carnuba. But what about the baby shampoo, any thoughts? Can it damage the paint?
If you get it in her headlights, at least she won't cry.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by RJC
I would avoid the baby shampoo. Also look for something other than mothers carnuaba. I really really like S100, Blitz, and pinnacle souveran for carnuaba waxes. But if you like the mothers then by all means stick to it, I just think you can get better results with less effort with those products.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

True the mothers is hard to remove when fully dry, I find it much easier to remove after a minute or two vs after a whole panel is done. I'll try your suggestions. I guess there is not much info on the baby shampoo, i thought since its so gentle (even for a baby) it must be ok, no doubt it was not designed for autos but my car does not get greasy/dirty enough to really need the auto type washes that clean off the heavy road grime which also take off some of the wax.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by KOMPRESSORnSC
If you get it in her headlights, at least she won't cry.
LOL
Old 08-11-2003, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 83 Likes on 41 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
I would stick with a dedicated car washing soap, rather than using baby shampoo.

The requirements for the two products are completely different:
Car Soap - In addition to its surfactant qualities (ability to allow the water to carry away insoluble oils/waxes/greases/bug guts), the soap must lubricate the paint surface, so that you don't scratch the paint as you move your mit or brush across the surface. Additionally, most good car soaps include shine enhancers, to make the car look good after washing.

Shampoo - Is formulated to solubilize oils (from sweat), with no need for lubrication - as you can't scratch hair with dirt. Maybe shampoo/conditioner would be better?

While baby shampoo would certainly work as a car wash, it's kinda like using a kitchen knife to remove a hinge screw - sure it works, but why not use the correct tool for the job?
Old 08-12-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C320 coupe
Virtually all shampoos, including baby shampoo, contain a quite strong basic detergent that goes by many names: sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate, etc. Any appearance of "laureth sulfate" or "Lauryl sulfate" as the primary ingredient on the bottle is bad news for your car's wax or polymer finish. Many shampoos contain a form and degree of alcohol as well. They are stronger than you think -- yes, baby shampoo too. Notice after you use the "name brand" baby shampoo on hair with no subsequent conditioner the hair "squeeks" when pulled thru your fingers. (Hence the expression "squeeky clean.") That's a BAD thing for your car's protective finish. Just two "baby shampoo" washes on your automotive "baby" will be nearly as effective (or damaging, in this case) as a dawn dishwashing liquid session -- which strips things quite nicely thank you.

I'd follow the general idea in the above responses and purchase any one of the products that AlB recommends or that is compatible with the particular manufacturer's "system" that you may use.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:32 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks mountain girl, very good info. I would imagine that car wash soap would really leave your hair squeaky clean! its got to be stronger as its designed to remove road grime versus the mild oils produced by the human scalp.

Last edited by RJC; 08-12-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by RJC
Thanks mountain girl, very good info. I would imagine that car wash soap would really leave your hair squeaky clean! its got to be stronger as its designed to remove road grime versus the mild oils produced by the human scalp.
RJC, I think you should try the pinnacle car wash shampoo, you will be happy with it (and oh it smells incredible).
Old 08-12-2003, 09:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Al I'll be getting the Pinnacle tommorow, my girlfriends baby shampoo w/conditioners is soo damn tempting to try.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by RJC
Al I'll be getting the Pinnacle tommorow, my girlfriends baby shampoo w/conditioners is soo damn tempting to try.
hehe, actually the store that sells pinnacle products (and invented them) is in sarasota, FL (I know u are in FL but not sure where sarasota is in relation to u) if you wanted to drive up to their store front.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was just there picking up my 04 from Glauser MB, I live in Boca Raton and would have loved to seen the plant.