Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Regarding pros and cons of car wraps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 500 (AMG package)
Regarding pros and cons of car wraps

Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a 2003 CLK500, and I want to get a new paint job, but came across car wrapping. I'm just wondering what are the pros and cons of doing it. I've heard good things, I'm just wondering what is the maintenance cost for a car wrap. Can I take it to normal car washes etc?

Trying to decide if I should get one.

Thanks everyone

J
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Vinyl Auto Body Wrap

Vinyl body wraps are becoming an increasingly popular aftermarket accessory, changing the look of a car as well as preserving the original paint from chips and scratches

Clear film vinyl wrap is a urethane film that is designed to be applied onto paint’s surface to provide maximum protection for as long as the film stays on the paint. There are various brands of paint protection film on the market (3M, Avery, Bekaert, Llumar, Madico, Premier Protective Films and Venture)

Clear film vinyl wrap has many advantages. For one, you basically save time and money on repairs normally requiring bodywork. Repairs such as paint chips, car getting keyed, scrapes and scuffs, etc, as the film protects you from all that and keeps the car original and body repair work-free.
Regular solid colour vinyl wraps approximately $1,500 -3000, Custom design $2000 – 3,000 (USD April 2011).

Several things to keep in mind:

1. Installation is the key - no bubbles, no wrinkles
2. Also part of installation experience - razor cuts in paint. Be sure to check to see what their warranty is on razor paint cuts.
3. Pre-installation- a completely clean surface free of any products or contaminants is a requirement. Installer’s will use a chemical paint cleaner to enable the adhesives used to adhere efficiently
4. Vinyl can be removed without harming OEM paint. If you have aftermarket paint, then there is a chance of paint coming up with the vinyl
5. Paint can take 1-2 weeks for an entire car. Vinyl can be applied in 2-4 days depending on the shop's capabilities / manpower
6. Retain OEM paint. When you get tired of the vinyl, it can be removed and redone with another colour without affecting the underlying paint
7. Clear film vinyl wrap allows ultra violet (UV) radiation to pass through the film and fade the paint underneath at the same rate as the exposed paint
8. Do not use products that contain petroleum distillates as urethane absorbs them and causes it to yellow.
9. Always remove stains as soon as possible using a mild solution of d-limonene solvent detergent(P21S Total Auto Wash)
10. Repainting an entire car properly would cost anywhere from $8k-$12k depending on the exact vehicle vs. typical vinyl installations ( ~ $3k Premier Protective Films)
11. In general, the amount of orange peel is directly proportionate with the texture of the liner the material is laminated to. If the liner is made of paper, you will see a higher amount of orange peel. If it is on a smooth, optically clear plastic liner (such as polyester), you will have no orange peel.
12. Care and maintenance recommendations are often dependent upon manufacturers grade of film

Cleaning / Care

Swisswax Opaque products for vinyl wraps have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance of matt satin paint or vinyl wraps.
1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
7. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
8. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudges

Last edited by TOGWT; 09-02-2013 at 05:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Howard Allen (11-11-2019)
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 AM

2003 CLK 500 (AMG package)
Thanks man,

That was incredibly informative, definitely will keep an eye out... I heard you can take it into regular car washes and it would not have any problems. Is that true?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
I'm glad that you found the post informative. Let us know if ou decide to get your vehicle wraped (with photo's o course)

I'm sorry but that's (local Car Wash)not something I have any experience of, even in winter I wash my vehicles with ONR
Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Civic
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Vinyl body wraps are becoming an increasingly popular aftermarket accessory, changing the look of a car as well as preserving the original paint from chips and scratches

Clear film vinyl wrap is a urethane film that is designed to be applied onto paint’s surface to provide maximum protection for as long as the film stays on the paint. There are various brands of paint protection film on the market (3M, Avery, Bekaert, Llumar, Madico, Premier Protective Films and Venture)

Clear film vinyl wrap has many advantages. For one, you basically save time and money on repairs normally requiring bodywork. Repairs such as paint chips, car getting keyed, scrapes and scuffs, etc, as the film protects you from all that and keeps the car original and body repair work-free.
Regular solid colour vinyl wraps approximately $1,500 -3000, Custom design $2000 – 3,000 (USD April 2011).

Several things to keep in mind:

1. Installation is the key - no bubbles, no wrinkles
2. Also part of installation experience - razor cuts in paint. Be sure to check to see what their warranty is on razor paint cuts.
3. Pre-installation- a completely clean surface free of any products or contaminants is a requirement. Installer’s will use a chemical paint cleaner to enable the adhesives used to adhere efficiently
4. Vinyl can be removed without harming OEM paint. If you have aftermarket paint, then there is a chance of paint coming up with the vinyl
5. Paint can take 1-2 weeks for an entire car. Vinyl can be applied in 2-4 days depending on the shop's capabilities / manpower
6. Retain OEM paint. When you get tired of the vinyl, it can be removed and redone with another colour without affecting the underlying paint
7. Clear film vinyl wrap allows ultra violet (UV) radiation to pass through the film and fade the paint underneath at the same rate as the exposed paint
8. Do not use products that contain petroleum distillates as urethane absorbs them and causes it to yellow.
9. Always remove stains as soon as possible using a mild solution of d-limonene solvent detergent(P21S Total Auto Wash)
10. Repainting an entire car properly would cost anywhere from $8k-$12k depending on the exact vehicle vs. typical vinyl installations ( ~ $3k Premier Protective Films)
11. In general, the amount of orange peel is directly proportionate with the texture of the liner the material is laminated to. If the liner is made of paper, you will see a higher amount of orange peel. If it is on a smooth, optically clear plastic liner (such as polyester), you will have no orange peel.
12. Care and maintenance recommendations are often dependent upon manufacturers grade of film

Cleaning / Care

Swisswax Opaque products for vinyl wraps have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance of matt satin paint or vinyl wraps.
1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
7. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
8. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudges
TOGWT, I would respectfully like to add to number 7.

Please don't let your clear bra fade because then it will oxidize slower than your naked paint.

Check this picture out for reference courtesy of Show Car Detailing (Orange County, CA) https://www.facebook.com/ShowCarDetailing

The deeper paint (richer) paint is from where the clear film was pulled off of.

- Hamza
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Ultra violet (UV) radiation causes materials to dry out (oxidation) it also weakens the mechanical structure and may cause it to fail; so like the rest of the (urethane) paint it should be periodically cleaned and a UV protection product used.

Be cognizant that there is no such thing as a permanent ultra violet (UV) stabilizer; it’s a matter of physics, not chemistry. Ultra violet protection is a sacrificial and therefore a renewable protection; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements (sun, sand, road or sea salt, and etc) so it is imperative that you renew it, so it should be re-applied on a regular 45 to 60 day basis (dependent upon location and climatic condition)

Last edited by TOGWT; 09-07-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Civic
What about Opti-Coat Professional? That products will provide a stable UV protectant for at least 5 years, sure contaminants will hinder the performance but overall the clearcoat will age a lot, lot slower.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 PM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
This post is getting a little off-track from the original poster's question, but I'll try to answer as best I can.

Most automotive ultra violet (UV) absorbers are very durable and exhibit an approximatefive year half-life, meaning that every five years the concentration is reduced by >50% percent.

You would have to ask the individual supplier of the specific ultra violet stabilizing chemical used to answer your question; as different chemicals provide differing protection and life expectancies

Last edited by TOGWT; 09-07-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 302 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Very true. Installation is key to a successful wrap. I believe Xpel has the best warranty so I will likely use it if I decide to rewrap the front once the dealer has the yellowed film removed.