Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Hey david N. I just ordered Klasse....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2001 | 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Talking Hey david N. I just ordered Klasse....

I ordered that 59 dollar kit from cma forget includes AIO and SG. My paint is smooth, but has swirls as it is black. Will the klasse help hide the swirls, what should I do to prep it. The swirls arent deep or that bad, they are noticible so i guess i would consider them minor. it is a 99 ML and i have waxed it about every 2 months with meguiars #26 since new. I also ordered the micro fiber wash mitt, i cant wait! Also what kind of soap should i use? Dawn? Please help me!
Old 11-22-2001 | 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Oh yea...

It also has some paint chips in the hood. I have the MB code: 040 touch up paint from the dealer. When should I apply this, before Klasse? Also should i get the clear coat touch up from the dealer or is the base coat enough if i klasse it. Thanks David N. I was going to get Zaino but the fact they don't accept credit cards turned me to klasse.
Old 11-23-2001 | 08:43 AM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Re: Hey david N. I just ordered Klasse....

Originally posted by AlBoston
I ordered that 59 dollar kit from cma forget includes AIO and SG. My paint is smooth, but has swirls as it is black. Will the klasse help hide the swirls, what should I do to prep it. The swirls arent deep or that bad, they are noticible so i guess i would consider them minor. it is a 99 ML and i have waxed it about every 2 months with meguiars #26 since new. I also ordered the micro fiber wash mitt, i cant wait! Also what kind of soap should i use? Dawn? Please help me!
Hey Al. Congrats on your purchase. Klasse is good stuff. Here are your answers:

Klasse will NOT hide swirls. Since your car is black, you have to realize that the "swirls" you are seeing may not be swirls, but instead be spiderwebbing. Black cars in particualr suffer from this, as well as some other dark colours. Spiderwebbing is in the paint, whereas swirls are in the clearcoat. Use an abrasive polish on a small area of your car. If after 2 passes, the swirls do not diminish, then you have spiderwebbing. If they aren't that noticeable then don't worry about it. It dosen't sound like they bother you a whole lot.

If you decide to use an abrasive polish, I'd recco this one:

3M™ Finesse-It™ II Finishing Material, 16 oz, PN 39003 - $11.38
Quickly and effectively removes minor scratches, producing a brilliant, deep, wet look shine. For best results use by machine.

You don't have to use a machine. I know lots of people who use this by hand with great success. You should be able to buy it from autozone, pep boys, etc.

In terms of surface prep here is what I would do. Go down to your local benz dealer. Feel the surface of one of the cars in the showroom. If your car is as smoothe as that, then don't clay, if it isn't, then clay the car.

Mothers makes a good clay kit. It should cost under 20 bucks. It comes with a clay bar, lube for the clay, and a cleaner wax. Throw the cleaner wax away, you won't be needing it. It's also available at autozone, pepboys, etc.

As for the paint chips, LEAVE THEM ALONE. That's life. If you want to properly fix the chips, you will need to colour sand. Did you read the other thread in this forum where I posted my opinion on colour sanding? I don't colour sand. I never have, and I never will. MB paint is prone to chipping because it dries hard. Get used to them. If you want some advice on how to do it, if you really have your heart set on it, then post a message for Buellwinkle. He has fixed chips successfully.

Back to the detailing. This is what you should do(in this order).

1. Wash your car with any good car wash soap. Meguiars gold class suds very well, and a one gallon bottle is dirt cheap at pep boys, autozone, etc.

2. Clay your car if necessary.

3. Remove the swirls with an abrasive polish.

4. AIO x2 on your whole car.

5. SG x3, with each coat applied 1 week apart. Put it on after your weekly wash.

6. The week after the third coat of SG has gone on, add a carnuba topper. This will give the paint more warmth and depth.

I'm assuming you're in Boston. If so, then the weather is probably getting cold like it is here in TO. You may not be able to do all of this. Save all of this for the summer.

For now, wash with meguiars and put 2 coats of aio on. This will strip your old wax. Then put 1 coat of SG on. 1 coat of SG will give you 6 months of protection. The extra coats are for improved shine.

I hope I answered your questions. Any more, let me know.
Old 11-30-2001 | 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
How long do i wait between coats

How long should i wait between coats of AIO and then with SG. Also do you recco 3M SMR?
Old 12-01-2001 | 02:02 PM

Re: How long do i wait between coats

How long should i wait between coats of AIO and then with SG. Also do you recco 3M SMR?

Al, you can apply SG immediately after the AIO. AIO does not need any time to cure. For AIO, wipe on, then wipe off. You can apply multiple coats of AIO on top of eachother one after the other with no wait time in between.

If you are going to apply SMR by hand, then I doubt it will do anything for your swirls. I've used it by hand and I wasn't very impressed. I applied it 4 times to the trunk of one of the cars, and the swirls did not diminish at all. I know people who have used it with success when applied with a PC-7424. You may want to pick up a bottle and give it a shot for yourself. It's only 10 bucks for a small bottle. FI is about the same. Their both good to have.
Old 12-02-2001 | 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Well i did it yesterday, VERY DIFFICULT!

First i sprayed my microfiber applicatiors with eagle one wipe and shine and i put about a nickel size of aio on the applicator. It worked fine with the aio but with the sg i had no idea whether it was the SG or the eagle one on the car. I waited about an hour for it to dry and when i removed it it was so difficult and i dont think i got it all off. Also with the SMR it created hollograming on my paint, I'm so mad!! Ive used the meguars cleaner and it worked so much better and removed hollograming, should i use that and reklasse the car? This sucks
Old 12-02-2001 | 02:15 PM

Re: Well i did it yesterday, VERY DIFFICULT!

First i sprayed my microfiber applicatiors with eagle one wipe and shine and i put about a nickel size of aio on the applicator. It worked fine with the aio but with the sg i had no idea whether it was the SG or the eagle one on the car. I waited about an hour for it to dry and when i removed it it was so difficult and i dont think i got it all off. Also with the SMR it created hollograming on my paint, I'm so mad!! Ive used the meguars cleaner and it worked so much better and removed hollograming, should i use that and reklasse the car? This sucks
I have heard of this holograming that SMR causes, but I have personally never experienced it myself. As I said, the bottle of SMR I used was useless. Many people I speak to who have experienced this hologram effect(we actually call it a "haze") have used multiple applications of AIO to remove the haze. Now, if the aio did not remove the haze in your paint, then by all means use the meguiars if it has worked for you in the past. I would use the megs' then re-klasse.

About the SG:

It sounds as though you didn't use too much considering that you couldn't tell if you were applying the QD or the SG onto your paint. Try applying SG with a <b>dry</b> foam applicator as opposed to one that is spritzed with eagle QD. Also, make sure that the QD you're using does not have any carnuba in it. Klasse and carnuba do not mix. That's why I just dampen my applicators with regular tap water.

I have also experienced the same thing. The SG streaks on the paint and will not buff off clean. To fix this, I kept a spray bottle of water handy. I spritzed the area with water and then I wiped it off with a towel. I then followed up with another dry towel and I got whatever moisture was leftover from the first towel. I have had no problems removing SG like this.

Al, keep your chin up! Don't worry about it. Live and learn. Klasse is good stuff. With more practice, you'll be a pro in no time. Don't worry about the haze/holgraming. Just use your megs'.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 12-02-2001 | 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Do you think the Finesse it II will remove the "haze"

The AIO removed most of it however I want to use the finesse it II because you said it removes swirls(by hand). Also will the finesse it II remove the swirls and hollograming that are pissing me off so much. Also i am using microfiber clothes if that makes a difference. And no Eagle one contains no carnuba. the kit i ordered came with SONUS quick detailing spray which has acrylic stuff in it? Well thanks again for all of your help David, you should start your own consulting service Btw, the SMR seemed to remove some swirls but made it look worse because of the "haze", thanks again.
Old 12-02-2001 | 09:56 PM

Re: Do you think the Finesse it II will remove the "haze"

The AIO removed most of it however I want to use the finesse it II because you said it removes swirls(by hand). Also will the finesse it II remove the swirls and hollograming that are pissing me off so much. Also i am using microfiber clothes if that makes a difference. And no Eagle one contains no carnuba. the kit i ordered came with SONUS quick detailing spray which has acrylic stuff in it? Well thanks again for all of your help David, you should start your own consulting service Btw, the SMR seemed to remove some swirls but made it look worse because of the "haze", thanks again.

Al, the 3M Finesse It II(ie FI) will not remove the haze/hollogramming you are seeing. It will actually make it worse because FI is MORE abrasive than SMR. What you are actually seeing is the polish doing it's work. It replaces bigger swirls with finer lines in the clearcoat. These finer lines look like a haze/hologram. This is obviously what you are seeing. Your car looks worse now because the SMR wasn't powerful enough to remove all the swirls, only some of them. So now you have some holograms and some leftover swirls. How many apps of AIO did you apply? Most people I know have totally removed the hologramming with 2 apps of AIO. Make sure you are applying all polishes and sealants in a back and forth motion(bumper to bumper) DO NOT APPLY IN CIRCULAR MOTIONS!!!!! This will make the haze even more prominent.

As for the sonus, use that on a weekly basis after you wash the car. It will rejuvinate the klasse layer on your car. Why? Klasse is an acrylic based polymer, and the Sonus is an acrylic based QD. They go hand in hand.

Don't worry. The stuff you've used on your car is very mild. No problem! Eventually everything will fall into place. Any more Q's, let me know. I'm happy to help. Take it easy.