Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Anyone know how to get road tar stains off wheels???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Kompressor
Anyone know how to get road tar stains off wheels???

Does anyone know how to clean road tar off of chrome wheels??? I think thats what it is...it's small black dirt that doesn't come off with normal amount of cleaning or rubbing or normal wheel cleaner...tell me if I'm wrong.

My lil brother just got new chrome wheels and they have such a dirt mark...it's bothering the hell outta him and I don't want to ruin the wheels by using the wrong chemical or cleaning it wrong.

It's on the corner where the lip meets the wheel. There is a very small one but it's bothing him.

Does anyone know a good way or chemical to clean it without damaging the chrome finish???
Old 04-08-2004, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
It 'sounds like' brake dust or rail dust. Try Detailers Clay and then wash . If its Road Tar a mild solvent should remove it
Old 04-08-2004, 03:53 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I'm not sure about chrome, but I was able to get all of the junk off my wheels by using Klasse on them. An added benefit was that they are pretty slick now and the brake dust doesn't stick to them as quickly.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by Peench
I'm not sure about chrome, but I was able to get all of the junk off my wheels by using Klasse on them. An added benefit was that they are pretty slick now and the brake dust doesn't stick to them as quickly.
what is Klasse?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Q:what is Klasse?

Klasse All-In-One contains a chemical (solvent) cleaner that removes imbedded dirt, light oxidation, which occurs when paint loses it’s natural oils, tree sap, road film and old wax plus it provides an tough acrylic protection. The foundation of the Klasse line this is a true one-step product. It cleans, polishes and protects in one easy step. All-in-one is the first component of a two-part system; by adding the SG to the base coat of AIO it enhances protection, durability and the paints appearance.

~Hope this helps~
Old 04-09-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by TOGWT
Q:what is Klasse?

Klasse All-In-One contains a chemical (solvent) cleaner that removes imbedded dirt, light oxidation, which occurs when paint loses it’s natural oils, tree sap, road film and old wax plus it provides an tough acrylic protection. The foundation of the Klasse line this is a true one-step product. It cleans, polishes and protects in one easy step. All-in-one is the first component of a two-part system; by adding the SG to the base coat of AIO it enhances protection, durability and the paints appearance.

~Hope this helps~
is this something like rubbing compound??!!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:17 PM

2002 C32 AMG
is this something like rubbing compound??!!
I don't think so - it is more like a polish/wax combo. I recently did my whole car with the Klasse product and the paint is as smooth as glass now. Amazing.

You can buy it at the MBZ dealership or online at various places. If you are local to San Diego I'll bring some to our meet on the 25th of April in Coronado and you can try it out there if you want.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:46 AM

1987 300E
For road tar on a chrome wheel, just use some paint thinner, WD40 or some other solvent to get it off.

After that some good wax will help protect the finish and make them easier to clean later.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I posted this before, but you can use clear coat body scrub from Meguairs on 'em. I did that when I ran into a bunch of tar on the interstate coming home from San Antonio. It worked like a charm. Of course, I waxed them after using it, though.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Almost a Member!

to be careful use 3m tar and grease remover

its made for tar and safe to use. and some other good one is one grand tar remover.
Here