Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Thinking Of Starting Detailing Business This Summer . . . Opinions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Diesel
Thinking Of Starting Detailing Business This Summer . . . Opinions?

I keep my car pretty clean. It gets washed 2-3 times a week and people take notice. (A lot of old 124's are in pretty bad shape around MA/NH cosmetically so they see mine and throw out a compliment or two.)

Anyways, I've been asked by a few people if I would clean their car for them, Inside and out. And they told me I should do it over the summer, get some "clients," because I do a really good job.

So my question is: Should I do this?

I figure, I don't mind doing it. I enjoy cleaning my car, parent's car's, friends car's.

I'd advertise for 2-3 weeks. Leaving flyers on cars in parking lots, at convience stores/gas stations etc., have a website, and a lot by word of mouth. I live in a middle class town bordered by an upper class town, BMW's and Benz's galore. So I figured i could probably get 5-10 cars per week?

Do you think I'm going to get that type of business? It's going to pass the time, and with another well paying job I don't need to bring in loads of money, just enough to cover materials used and a little bit for myself.

A buddy of mine, who also keeps his in top shape and would be well suited, said that if we sat down and discussed a plan we could probably do it.

Obviously this would be cheaper than a professional detail. We would charge something like...$40-$50 a car. But would you pay that? $50 for a
Wash/Wax
Interior Complete Vacuum and Carpet Shampoo
Wheels Thouroughly Cleaned and Tires Dressed
Interior Dust
Interior Clean/
And i know that the finished car would not bring any complaints. It's just bringing in clients...

Should I attempt this or not?

Your $0.02 is what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
advertisement is key. newspapers, business, schools, parking lots...anything.
also factor in how much money you would be making if you were doing something else on your time and make sure you at least make that much money if you want it to be profitable. The business doens't necessarly have to be profitable as long as you make as much if not more working somewhere else. IF you are gonna be driving to your clients factor in gas, products so figure out how much you should charge. If you appear to be young then make sure you look profiteable and maybe up the price to $60 and present coupons for $10 off on all your advertisements. Hope that helps for now im watchin the lakers game i will try and help you out more later
Old 05-31-2004, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
HomeRunPark, your prices are WAY too low. I just recently opened my car wash/detailing business last weekend and started washing cars this weekend. I had 5 customers so far and have made $355 in about 10 maybe 11 hours. I charge 75 for a detail for a sedan, 85 for an SUV and 100 for a Large SUV. A wash for sedan is 18, SUV is 22 and LSUV is 26.

Detail: Wash, wax, vacuum, windows, wheels, tires, inside
Wash: wash, vacuum, windows, wheels, tires

EDIT: Once again, your prices are WAYYYYYY WAY too low

Last edited by extreme4377; 05-31-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
read what i said about calculating your costs. An easier and more pdocutive way of doing things is to call up about 10 detailers in your area and base your price off of theirs. Again, cheaper you go the more business you will get obviously. Use that method i told you about, people are suckers for coupons. Maybe make special offers like buy details and get one basic car wash free or something.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
This is a very informative thread over on Autopia by DavidB

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=37

~Hope it helps~
Old 06-01-2004, 12:43 PM

Turbo Diesel
Thanks for teh response.
The reason I wanted to keep prices low was becuase people are going to look at it as an 18 and 21 yr old kid cleaning thier car you know? and before they see the work, they might not think i cna do it as well as i say i can.
but i know when they see the finished product, they will be more than impressed.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Originally posted by extreme4377
HomeRunPark, your prices are WAY too low. I just recently opened my car wash/detailing business last weekend and started washing cars this weekend. I had 5 customers so far and have made $355 in about 10 maybe 11 hours. I charge 75 for a detail for a sedan, 85 for an SUV and 100 for a Large SUV. A wash for sedan is 18, SUV is 22 and LSUV is 26.

Detail: Wash, wax, vacuum, windows, wheels, tires, inside
Wash: wash, vacuum, windows, wheels, tires

EDIT: Once again, your prices are WAYYYYYY WAY too low
your prices are low!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
ya, my prices are low too....but Im only 16. Although, my friends mom saw my car yesterday as I was detailing her Bimmer 5 Series and her jaw dropped to the ground. If you havent seen my pictures...

http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/extreme4377/P5230048.JPG
http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/extreme4377/P5230072s.JPG
http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/extreme4377/P5230044.JPG
http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/extreme4377/P5230046.JPG
http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/extreme4377/P5230067.JPG
http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/extreme4377/P5230076.JPG

The last picture is NOT a picture of the sky. Its a close up shot of the hood of my car and the reflection of the sky.

My prices may be low, but Im making good money.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 S500
Extreme4377, where are you located in California? Your last picture is amazing! What products do you use?

HomeRunPark, your price for a complete detail is very low. The car wash/detailer in San Marino charges $150 for a complete detail and $15 for a car wash. You need to find what the going rate is in your area and charge accordingly. Do you plan to rent a place or be a mobile unit? Your age is an asset. I would rather have an 18-21 year old detail my car who loves what they are doing than an older person who can't find any other job. You need to show prospective clients that you are experienced enough to consistently produce good results. Show pictures of your jobs and get testimonials of satisfied customers. What products do you plan to use? Clearly, a detail using expensive products such as Zymol or Zaino would cost a little more than one used with cheaper products. Your labor would be the most expensive component in any detail (at least in Los Angeles). I would recommend that you use the best products. Your labor is the same either way. It is important to get a good reputation for quality work using quality products. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Thanks! Im down in Souther Cali. PM me for more details if you want. I dont wanna post my location in an open forum. I use 3M Liquid Wax, Turtle Wax Car washing soap, Mothers chrome polish, Turtle wax tire wax, Zymol on the leather for conditioning and cleaning, Plain old windex for the windows, and Eagle One polish for the plastic areas. I just started using Eagle One's NanoWax and am loving it so far.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Thanks! Im down in Souther Cali. PM me for more details if you want. I dont wanna post my location in an open forum. I use 3M Liquid Wax, Turtle Wax Car washing soap, Mothers chrome polish, Turtle wax tire wax, Zymol on the leather for conditioning and cleaning, Plain old windex for the windows, and Eagle One polish for the plastic areas. I just started using Eagle One's NanoWax and am loving it so far.
You should try zaino (do a search on this forum for info). Others have used it here including myself and think that it's one of the best products out there. Also, make sure your "plain old windex" is ammonia free. Ammonia is very bad for tinting.

A place where I used to work had a kid (16-18) that used to come and detail cars. It was very convenient for us as he did it while we worked. He made a ton of money doing this, and quite a few regular customers.

I don't think your age will be a large factor as long as your present yourself professionally (though your fliers, appearance, etc.).

Best of luck.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
I dont have any tinting on my car but Ill keep that in mind for any customers. Thanks man.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I dont have any tinting on my car but Ill keep that in mind for any customers. Thanks man.
No problem, glad to help.

Remember to stop back in and let us know how you're making out. I have to say that no matter if you make a lot of money or not, it will be a good (as in learning) experience for you.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
extreme what school do you go to? pm me if u dont want to post it here.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Since starting on Sunday of memorial day weekend.....Ive detailed:

4 sedans
2 SUVs
1 LSUV

Ive washed:

2 sedans
1 SUV
1LSUV

Ive made easily over 500 bucks not inluding tips and I havent even been open a week. Im doing another detail today(leaving like right now) and a wash this weekend. My best buddy and I are detailing an RV this weekend. Still working on the price. Since she's my neighbor and a good one at that, we'll charge prolyl 300 and split it two ways. I know shell tip us about 50 bucks also so thats good money. I might also be detailing a corvette this weekend and possibly a SUV wash. Ill keep you guys updated.

FixedupW209, I PMed you
Old 06-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I know shell tip us about 50 bucks also so thats good money.
Wow! Good tip.

I don't think I would tip someone who was working independently. After all, the money goes to them. I view a tip as a way of supplementing someone's income if they do a good job. If you are the "owner" of the company, I don't think you should be tipped.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Originally posted by revstriker
I don't think I would tip someone who was working independently. After all, the money goes to them. I view a tip as a way of supplementing someone's income if they do a good job. If you are the "owner" of the company, I don't think you should be tipped.
I am still trying to get over the fact that the Jamba Juice and Starbucks stores I visit have tip jars

Old 06-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by Mr. Xristo
I am still trying to get over the fact that the Jamba Juice and Starbucks stores I visit have tip jars

I know. I normally just thow my loose pennies in there.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Mr. Xristo

Thats so random and funny at the same time.

Rev, Yeah i just throw my loose change as well. Its my good deed for the day.

To the pro detailers- damn im beat after wash my car let alone wax it! I cant imagine doing if for extended periods of time. Props to your dedication and hard work.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:46 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Sorry about bumping up an old thread, but I have a few questions for those of you in the detailing business...

What kind of business structure do you use? Do you have to legally register your business and do all the paperwork and taxes involved? Or do you just do the jobs as "cash-in-hand" type work?

I've been thinking about doing detailing myself, as a weekend/part-time type work, so it probably isn't worth the time and money for me to go through with all the legal procedures since amount of money made will be minimal.

Also, for those of you with mobile detailing services, how to you get water and electricity?
Do you have to supply your own or do you normally just use the customer's water and electricity?

I know professional detailers usually have a trailer/cart thing which holds their water supply and generator, but those cost $$$
Old 06-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Originally Posted by [180]
Sorry about bumping up an old thread, but I have a few questions for those of you in the detailing business...

What kind of business structure do you use? Do you have to legally register your business and do all the paperwork and taxes involved? Or do you just do the jobs as "cash-in-hand" type work?

I've been thinking about doing detailing myself, as a weekend/part-time type work, so it probably isn't worth the time and money for me to go through with all the legal procedures since amount of money made will be minimal.

Also, for those of you with mobile detailing services, how to you get water and electricity?
Do you have to supply your own or do you normally just use the customer's water and electricity?

I know professional detailers usually have a trailer/cart thing which holds their water supply and generator, but those cost $$$
well for me I am just starting to detail and, i dont have to register anything cause I dont have a name separate from my real name. if it was like "Sqeaky Clean Detailing" (corny i know) then I would. I will be having my taxes done by a professional though. Big trouble if you make over 400 a year and the IRS finds out. I use the water of my client, and never have had to use electricity, other than their battery in the car for radio lol. I would talk to your tax advisor or whoever does your taxes about it, if you only make a little im sure there is a tax form that u can add miscellaneous (sp) income to. I am going to talk to mine about all that soon. And I would reccomend buying some form of insurance to protect yourself if you were to mess something up on the car.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:34 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by IluvS500
well for me I am just starting to detail and, i dont have to register anything cause I dont have a name separate from my real name. if it was like "Sqeaky Clean Detailing" (corny i know) then I would. I will be having my taxes done by a professional though. Big trouble if you make over 400 a year and the IRS finds out. I use the water of my client, and never have had to use electricity, other than their battery in the car for radio lol. I would talk to your tax advisor or whoever does your taxes about it, if you only make a little im sure there is a tax form that u can add miscellaneous (sp) income to. I am going to talk to mine about all that soon. And I would reccomend buying some form of insurance to protect yourself if you were to mess something up on the car.
Do you think it's worth it for me to get tax advice & insurance when I don't even have a single customer?
I'm probably only going to be doing it over summer, so I have no idea how much business I can draw in.

If I were to get insurance, it wouldn't be to protect me if I mess up.... what I was thinking is that if someone gets their car scratched/dented/etc. after I do the job and hand the car back to them, they can blame it on me.
Is there any way to protect yourself against this?
I was thinking of maybe using a waiver, so the client would have to sign off the car before and after the detail, and the waiver would also have a list of the damage on the car before the job was started.
However, I don't know if this is 100% legal and will hold up in court... I remember when I did a business course I was told that liability waivers aren't much use if you get sued. can anyone clarify?