Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Matte Paint issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cla45
Matte Paint issues

CLA45 2017 silver matte paint. Twice now, 6 months apart, I have had damage to the car's paint. It's the same effect as if you put furniture stripper on a piece of painted furniture...the paint bubbles/crinkles up. In both instances, it looks like someone stood at the front end and threw a cup of acid up the hood. The first time, it etched some of the plastic as it hit the drivers side mirror as well as the hood and front bumper. Of course, the entire hood had to be repainted and some plastic parts replaced. A couple weeks ago, this happened again....ugh....at first, I figured I was driving behind a garbage truck that splashed corrosive material up the front hood... now, I can't imagine the coincidence...the last occurrence while the car was parked in front of my office, just a few feet from me...I can't imagine this is vandalism? In this instance, I could see a splotch of clear thick liquid on the glass...I would have noticed had it happened before I got out of the car. So either someone was very daring as to throw a cup of acid up the hood in front of a bunch of windows....or it's something else??? Could it be some kind of fluid from the car, coming out from the grill and splashing upwards? Could some kind of bird droppings (geese are often on the roof of the building and were noted nearby on this same day) cause this much damage in such a short period of time? (btw...goose droppings are not clear usually). Is there a problem with Benz matte paint in terms of manufacturer defect? Susceptible to reacting badly with other common materials? I'm at a loss?
Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Pics? This sounds like vandalism to me 100%.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cla45
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Pics? This sounds like vandalism to me 100%.

residue on the windshield...did not etch glass at all...wouldn't acid/furniture stripper do that?

the damage travels from the front bumper up the hood to the bottom of the center of the windshield. The paint has bubbled/shriveled as though furniture paint stripper does.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
No, the acid won't affect the glass. That's 100% someone throwing something caustic on the car.
The following users liked this post:
crc5 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
From the picture of the stuff on the glass it looks a lot like a gel type paint stripper.