Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Detailing Guru's Please HELP!!!! Need advice!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 03:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailing Guru's Please HELP!!!! Need advice!!!!

I am on my final steps of detailing my car. I have a couple questions that I need advice on....

-My window trim is black metal/alluminum anodized i think (99 c-230) and has turned a purplish color. I know why it turned purplish but i need to know how to cure it. Is it possible to retain my black finish or is it too late? Please list products that may help and keep my trims in good condition.

-Rims - What kind of cleaner should i use? I have brabus rims in silver...not chrome....what can i use to clean them? The little rivets around the rim are a pain to get to. Is there some sort of spray on cleaner that gets to these little spots? Thanks for your future inputs guys.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Edit your previous thread to see if you can delete it.

I can't help with the window trim, but as for the rivets, have you tried using q-tips?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:55 AM
Almost a Member!

I haven't tried q-tips, but will try....i'm looking for a cleaner that will avoid dirt/brake dust from getting on to it everyday. My rims get dirty pretty quick.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try waxing them?

Brake dust is a problem we're all stuck with. It's become almost a fact of life for me
Old 06-29-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you’ll have to live with the colour of your trim or replace it…sorry

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon
justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
Old 06-29-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote. i'm looking for a cleaner that will avoid dirt/brake dust from getting on to it everyday. My rims get dirty pretty quick.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The only thing I could suggest is to apply a synthetic polymer sealant, it won’t avoid brake dust (nothing will) but it makes cleaning the wheels much easier.

Try using P21S Wheel Cleaner, apply and then agitate with a brush; use a horsehair detailing brush on the rivets and then hose off. Apply a polymer sealant with a Microfiber towel (2 or more layers are better) this will protect the wheels from brake dust etching and make for easier cleaning in the future.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon
justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *
Old 07-04-2004, 11:28 AM

98 ML320
for the dust to get caught up in da rivets and you cant clean it means u dont wash ur car that often huh? even if u dont wanna wash the car atleast wash the rims. thats what i do. anyways. they have a detailin shop where i sued to live and i go there to buy stuff from. the stuff at peps boy for wheels cleaners is commercial sh*t. the stuff i get is extra strenght and you would have to actually dilute it. the stuff is acid but would burn ur hands that quick. i was usin it with hospital rubber gloves and it burned it right up. they make it for chrome wheel , alloy , and mag wheels. u would put it on the wheel with no scubbing, leave it for 30 seonds and spray off. then u would have to wax you wheel. its good sh*t. if u want a gallon let me know i'll get one for u. i think its like $30 a gallon.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ML320CHROME20s
for the dust to get caught up in da rivets and you cant clean it means u dont wash ur car that often huh? even if u dont wanna wash the car atleast wash the rims. thats what i do. anyways. they have a detailin shop where i sued to live and i go there to buy stuff from. the stuff at peps boy for wheels cleaners is commercial sh*t. the stuff i get is extra strenght and you would have to actually dilute it. the stuff is acid but would burn ur hands that quick. i was usin it with hospital rubber gloves and it burned it right up. they make it for chrome wheel , alloy , and mag wheels. u would put it on the wheel with no scubbing, leave it for 30 seonds and spray off. then u would have to wax you wheel. its good sh*t. if u want a gallon let me know i'll get one for u. i think its like $30 a gallon.

I do clean my car pretty often, actually too much, hence the window trim problem, but the rim's will get real dirty after one day of driving. I don't know if this is normal, but it's a sob to take care of. Just wondering if there's an easy way of cleaning my rims. Just a spray on, wait, then spray off type of product. Thanks
Old 07-05-2004, 12:44 PM

SLK32
I can't speak to the window trim problem, but I am feeling a lot better about the lack of brake dust on my rims.

I wash and dry the rims well, apply tire products only very rarely and very lightly, avoid wheel cleaning products, and hit the rims after each wash with a little quick detailer, which seems to repel the dust.

Works for me, as there is no way to eliminate the problem entirely.