Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Taking off Sharpie mark..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' E320
Taking off Sharpie mark..

Well, I finally got a touch up stick from mercedes benz and was going around touching up spots when my friend and I thought it might be a good idea to try a sharpie on some of the thin scratches.

We tried it on a little one and were pleasantly suprised to see it disappear before our eyes. I went back to touching up a larger spot on the bumper and when I looked up my friend had a concerned look...

Well it turns out that while Sharpies may look ok on a small dot type spot, they most CERTAINLY do not look good on long scratches. It is mismatched and looks far worse than the scratch did before.

Sooo.... Is there any way to take off a sharpie mark without hurting the paint underneath? - If I need to i'll cover it with the paint stick, just worried that it wont come out smooth.

Don't let friends touch (up) your car....
Old 10-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Lesson well learned...I have no idea. I would call a body shop and ask their advice
Old 10-05-2004, 03:54 PM

2004 E500
I don't know if it will work or not but try some paint thinner (mineral spirits). It will definitely not affect the clear coat and should not affect the underlying paint if the clear coat has been scratched off. I use it to remove excess touchup paint. You may want to mark something you don't care about with the sharpie and then see if the paint thinner removes it.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
How do guys feel about rubbing alcohol? I hear this can remove sharpie ink fairly easily.

I've also been told that eventually it rubs off after a couple months, though I hate to drive around with it.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts
Try a cleaner wax first, Meguires make a good one for this. If that doesn't work, then dip a Q tip in rubbing alcohol and squeeze out the excess with your fingers, then rub it lightly only over the area effected, apply a couple of coats of wax to protect the area after the proper touch up method is completed/dried.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:36 AM

I think "Prep Sol" may work, or assitone(Try both of these on the UNDERSIDE of the bumper first!!!!!! Be very careful as it may attack the plastic.
If all else fails go to a body shop.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:05 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by jonw440
I think "Prep Sol" may work, or assitone(Try both of these on the UNDERSIDE of the bumper first!!!!!! Be very careful as it may attack the plastic.
If all else fails go to a body shop.
I seem to recall reading that acetone will remove clear coat. I don't know about Prep Sol.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BoSoxFan
I seem to recall reading that acetone will remove clear coat. I don't know about Prep Sol.
You are right!!
DON'T use acetone. it is to strong.
A polish "Should" work.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:33 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by jonw440
Is there such a thing as "assitone?" I assumed that it was a misspelling of acetone. The single reference on Google and Yahoo led to a trade lead which had expired.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
~One mans opinion / observations~

Use water/distilled white vinegar or a 5:1 Isopropyl Alcohol solution (adjust ratio as required) or try equal parts distilled white vinegar, Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water

I would avoid Acetone on plastic at best it will mar it or worse soften and distort it

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Old 10-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll take a stab at it this afternoon and let ya know how it comes out.