Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What Pads to buy for Porter Cable 7336sp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
What Pads to buy for Porter Cable 7336sp?

Just picked up the Porter Cable 7336sp at my local Lowes. What pads should I now get and where can I get them from?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-29-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are the best pc pads I have used.
(I have Meguiars, Lake county pads and Sonus Pads)
The Sonus pad kit has everything you need. Contoured backing plate, Orange Compounding pad,Polishing pad, Finishing pad and wax or sealant pad. Plus you get two micro fiber bonnets for wax Sealant applications or final buffing.
Alos the Sonus SFX polishes are great to use with these pads!!
The last picture were the foam is split next to the velcro that is a Lake County pad. The Sonus pads DO NOT Split, Thats why I love the Sonus pads!!
Attached Thumbnails What Pads to buy for Porter Cable 7336sp?-picture-027.jpg   What Pads to buy for Porter Cable 7336sp?-picture-063.jpg   What Pads to buy for Porter Cable 7336sp?-picture-065.jpg   What Pads to buy for Porter Cable 7336sp?-picture-067.jpg   What Pads to buy for Porter Cable 7336sp?-picture-071.jpg  

Last edited by jonw440; 11-29-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Awesome pads!

But they are kind of pricy for the kit. Is there another pad kit out there recommened but a little cheaper?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by str8ridin
Awesome pads!

But they are kind of pricy for the kit. Is there another pad kit out there recommened but a little cheaper?
There is the SFX pads, But honestly if you can save for a few weeks then buy these. They will last for years!!

If you already have a backing plate they would do.
I recommended the Sonus DAS pads because the kit comes with the backing plate.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I use pads made by Lake County.

You can read all about them here:

http://www.properautocare.com/mafopaloatla.html

This is a link of the various 6" pads and accesories:

http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html

Don't forget to read the tips here:

http://www.properautocare.com/noname.html

I bought some Sonus pads as well, just have not had the chance to try them out yet.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:23 AM

'05 C230K SS
Can the PC be used for, say, buffing off Zaino or carnauba, or is it more appropriate for polishing?

I'm wondering if buffing off Zaino or normal wax with a motorized unit would "take off too much" of the Zaino vs. just using a towel to buff.

It seems like it would sure take a lot of arm work out of a good Zaino application...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by DiamondNoir2K5
Can the PC be used for, say, buffing off Zaino or carnauba, or is it more appropriate for polishing?

I'm wondering if buffing off Zaino or normal wax with a motorized unit would "take off too much" of the Zaino vs. just using a towel to buff.

It seems like it would sure take a lot of arm work out of a good Zaino application...
You would use a bonnet cover over a pad to remove product.

Personally however, I would remove Zaino by hand. It's just eaiser in the long run.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondNoir2K5

To apply a wax (P21S, Pinnacle,Meguiars #16,etc.) sealant(Klasse,Autoglym, Zaino) I would use the gray foam pad or the bonnet.(I apply the Klasse All In One or Autoglym Super resin polish with the gray pad) Then put the bonnet over the gray pad to apply the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze or Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection) These last sealant are almost like water and the buffing bonnet soaks them up better for a more even application. You can use them to remove wax or sealants, but I too remove mine by hand. Then go over it again with a clean Bonnet for a final finish buffing to be sure all of the wax or sealant has been removed.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:25 PM

'05 C230K SS
Originally Posted by awiner
You would use a bonnet cover over a pad to remove product.

Personally however, I would remove Zaino by hand. It's just eaiser in the long run.
Why would you remove Zaino by hand? To me that's the most taxing part. The application seems really easy, I just wipe the applicator in slightly overlapping rows. But the buffing part requires a lot of arm motion. I would have thought using the buffer would make it easier.

Is there something about using the buffer for buffing that I don't know about that makes it less useful than I'm imagining?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I don't apply nor remove Zaino with the buffer, only by hand. My buffer is soley used for the polishing/pre-cleaning process using Klasse All In One as the base coat or if need be a stronger cleaner/polish before the base coat prior to Zaino.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Quote: The last picture where the foam is split next to the Velcro that is a Lake County pad. The Sonus pads DO NOT Split, Which is why I love the Sonus pads!

~One man’s opinion / observations

Both these companies (LC and Sonus) use a European (German) foam and both have had problems with the Velcro backing adhesive and the foam splitting due to the size of the foam ‘backing’ (now solved)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Well, the SONUS DAS pads seem to have a package deal that includes the fexible backing plate for about $60, so I'm buying them!

Now I just have to get a heater for my garage.

Thanks for the tips fellas.