Exhaust Smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
into things
Exhaust Smoke

Lately I noticed that my W211 CDI has been giving out more black smoke than usual. Should I be concerned by this? I always thought that the high pressure injection should reduce the amount of smoke. If this is normal, more fun for me to spray a thick cloud of smoke onto others when I pass them on the highway.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Check your air filter.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Almost a Member!

'84 300CD, '82 300SD, '74 TR6, '99 Land Rover Discovery
240D smoke

If you are not currently using RedLine diesel fuel catalyst, then start - begin by pouring one entire bottle into your tank when you fill up, then add the specified amounts at every fill up. We have two 300 turbo diesels (one with 200+K and the other with 260K miles) both have had Redline since almost new and neither smoke even on heavy accelleration. You can find Redline at Pep Boys and most auto parts stores.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
Are there any problems using Redline in my W211? I assume it would be fine in older diesel engines because of the low sulfur diesel fuel now being used. I don't want to screw up the common rail injection system or anything else in between.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:32 PM

Harley-Davidson
It's under warranty. Take it to the dealer. This is not normal.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 PM

W208 CLK230K Convertible, R231 SL400, W222 S450L
I accidentally solved the smoke problem by

I solved the smoke problem by accident actually. All I did was do an engine oil flush (using an additive which cleans out the sludge from the engine - done during oil change) AND by replacing the MAF (Mass Airflow Meter) on my '02 C270 CDI. Since then no black smoke at all !!

Here's a link to the stuff i used for the engine flush. There are other brands out in the market that do the same thing though.

http://www.protec-autocare.com/engine_flush.php
Old 09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
It was the MAF sensor change that fixed your smoking problem--not some magic elixer.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Mercedes, Shogun, Vauxhall, Toyota
Lightbulb protec

having used protec for a number of years, i have found it to be the best on the market, eats other products alive. wait until you have used the fuel system cleaner or the aqua deisel this stuff is incredable my wifes old merc has a new leaf of life considering its done 130000 miles, the guys at mercedes are amazed at how good the performance is after 1 treatment, even in my car its performs like no tomorrow. having seen the before and after i will continue to use the stuff, 2 thumbs up to Protec autocare
even if you are reluctant to use it at least have the decency to give it a bash, this product does what it says on the tin and with regards to environmental issues it BEST on TEST. they even have techinical back up as the guys in scotland are realy switched on with advice, heres their link

protecautomotive@btconnect.com

Sparks

Last edited by sparky999; 03-06-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Mercedes, Shogun, Vauxhall, Toyota
Hi forge

did you know that they are TUV approved its the only product in the uk that has this accredited certificate

Cheers sparks
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by brianhn1
Lately I noticed that my W211 CDI has been giving out more black smoke than usual. Should I be concerned by this? I always thought that the high pressure injection should reduce the amount of smoke. If this is normal, more fun for me to spray a thick cloud of smoke onto others when I pass them on the highway.
What mileage Brian? Any tuning box?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by forge
I solved the smoke problem by accident actually. All I did was do an engine oil flush (using an additive which cleans out the sludge from the engine - done during oil change) AND by replacing the MAF (Mass Airflow Meter) on my '02 C270 CDI. Since then no black smoke at all !!

Here's a link to the stuff i used for the engine flush. There are other brands out in the market that do the same thing though.

http://www.protec-autocare.com/engine_flush.php
Where is this MAF located? What is its function and is regular changing needed for this part? Any photos?

Where are you located? There is no C270 CDi in NA.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question MAF location.

Kind of hard to explain. If I were there, I could point it out to you with no problem.

Look for an electrical plug connector somewhere between
your air cleaner and the inlet to your turbo.

This plug is connected to a spacer like part that fits into the air stream.

There is a fine electrical element within that calculates air-flow and feeds that information to your
computer which then determines what amount of fuel to supply, among many other things.

This part does not require regular servicing, and should be good for thousands of miles.

One thing that has been proven by the TDI boys:

STAY AWAY FROM K&N AIR FILTERS. Why?

Because the slightest film of fine missy oil on the element of your MAF will cause it to fail.

This has been proven time and time again by the TDI crowd.
Do a search over on Freds:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

Over 58,000 members World-wide can't all be wrong.

Fred is a Canadian BTW. Started the group before he even had a TDI.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got my TDi chip from contacts there

Mr Green:

Excellent site. It has a lot of detail repair instructions for all years of TDi engines.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

story of my first diesel

Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT
Kind of hard to explain. If I were there, I could point it out to you with no problem.

Look for an electrical plug connector somewhere between
your air cleaner and the inlet to your turbo.

This plug is connected to a spacer like part that fits into the air stream.

There is a fine electrical element within that calculates air-flow and feeds that information to your
computer which then determines what amount of fuel to supply, among many other things.

This part does not require regular servicing, and should be good for thousands of miles.

One thing that has been proven by the TDI boys:

STAY AWAY FROM K&N AIR FILTERS. Why?

Because the slightest film of fine missy oil on the element of your MAF will cause it to fail.

This has been proven time and time again by the TDI crowd.
Do a search over on Freds:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

Over 58,000 members World-wide can't all be wrong.

Fred is a Canadian BTW. Started the group before he even had a TDI.

I was luck because I wanted to buy a K & N filter for my 1999 TDi but somehow did not go through with it. I then dreamt about the "muffler-ectomy" described in the forum. On precisely the 4th anniversary its purchase (even time of day!) my son was flying on the highway with his girlfriends and suddenly bang! The water pump flywheel flew off resulting in total loss of coolant. Fortunately he could stop the car safely and had it towed home. I could not believe it - the wheel broke off at the shaft. The cheapest car I bought in 1971 did not do that.

VW fixed it under warranty. Free.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
Originally Posted by harkgar
What mileage Brian? Any tuning box?
Car had maybe 5-6k miles when I posted this. Now it has 15k miles and occasionally makes a lot of smoke when the engine isn't warmed up. No smoke though when I push the car to its limits once the engine heats up. I assume diesel cars run very cool when they idle.

No tuning box.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your CDi is an infant for MB diesels

Originally Posted by brianhn1
Car had maybe 5-6k miles when I posted this. Now it has 15k miles and occasionally makes a lot of smoke when the engine isn't warmed up. No smoke though when I push the car to its limits once the engine heats up. I assume diesel cars run very cool when they idle.

No tuning box.
I was very keen to get a tuning box but have gone off the idea. Warranty worries and the feeling that power is abundantly adequate for a car that does the mid to high 20s without any need to feather the go pedal. On the highway the engine just hums.

The exhaust gas is very cool even in the summer. No smoke at all. I have 7,200 miles on the clock. Love this car. It is a great pity they do not make the straight 6 anymore. This car will be remembered as the last of the great MB diesels. Power. Clean enough technology without going overboard with half a dozen filters to please the Californian tree loving zealots. Cheap to maintain and less to worry about all the check engine lights just because there is a tiny bit of soot or NxO escaping down the exhausts.