Sponsored by:

Test drove '07 E320 Bluetec - problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E320 Bluetec
BlueTec problem

The shifting problem is present whether in "C" (Comfort) or "S" (Sport) mode.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
any explanation from MB?

Originally Posted by Frugal1
Hi All. I was hoping the salesman was going to contact and tell me they found the problem but he has not so now I'm going to post to see if anyone else experienced this:

Very, VERY bad lag. This wasn't just turbo lag, this thing just wouldn't MOVE. For a normal, easy going, not going anywhere in particular take off, you might not notice . . . but on my test drive I was trying to merge into some city traffic from a turn lane . . . I saw the hole and I stepped on the pedal and NOTHING for about what seemed like 2 seconds . . then WHAM, I was almost in the bumper of the guy in the front of the hole. To test this again, I stopped in a left turn lane and waited for traffic. I then stepped on the pedal about 1/2 way (or so) . . . . sort of the way you would step on it if you wanted to get across the road because traffic was coming. Now I'm not talking about dangerously shooting out in front of someone, I'm talking about everyday stuff here. Well there it was again . . . the car just sat there . . maybe it creeped a few inches like you were idling and let off the brake, but certainly not GOING. If there had been any oncoming traffic I was planning on beating, they would have had to brake for me. It literally took AT LEAST a full second before moving. Then like the first time, after it's dangerous nap, it surged.

The salesman defended this but he was riding in the back seat. He claimed the car was too new and break-in would cure it. I asked him to drive it himself because I'm really hoping something was out of whack on that car. If that's how they all are, it's enough to make me pass on it. I drove an 05 E320 CDI and a couple of 06's and did NOT notice anything close to that. Sure, it takes a bit for the turbo to kick in but at least the car would MOVE like a normal car at first, then the turbo would make you go "ahhh, nice," and push you back in your seat.

If you don't mind, could you E320 shoppers look out for this and report back here?

Thanks,

F1
I am ready to make a special order for a new E320 Bluetec in the new year so I am interested in your response or lack of it from MB USA. The car's specification is out of this world.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:32 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
Are you talking to me? I never contacted MB on this. My dealer said the car was fine and the theories folks here offered up were plausable.

I'm currently shopping for an 06.

Thanks and Happy New Year to All!!

Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you talking to me? I never contacted MB on this. My dealer said the car was fine and the theories folks here offered up were plausable.

Make sure you have a good deal on this. I would have wanted a 2006 CDi if MB still makes it.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I test drove a 2006 CDi about 6 months ago. The salesman would not give me a good discount ($7,000). Instead he offered $2,000 or return to him and see him at 2006 year end. Meanwhile he got fired so the deal died.

I went back about a month ago and the new guy told me all 6 CDi cars were sold (I think they all turned into "demos") and they only have 2007 Bluetecs.

The 2006 CDi with the 5 speed transmission I drove did not have a problem with the "jerking" first gear but felt a little more sluggish than the Bluetec. Have you test driven one? Let us know.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM

MBs
MBUSA now has new software available for the CDI control module of the 2007 E320 Bluetec which should resolve the transmission flare. Have the dealer update the CDI control module to the latest software version which should be 0054488540_001.