Sponsored by:

Test drove '07 E320 Bluetec - problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E320 Bluetec
Test drove '07 E320 Bluetec - problem

Hi All. I was hoping the salesman was going to contact and tell me they found the problem but he has not so now I'm going to post to see if anyone else experienced this:

Very, VERY bad lag. This wasn't just turbo lag, this thing just wouldn't MOVE. For a normal, easy going, not going anywhere in particular take off, you might not notice . . . but on my test drive I was trying to merge into some city traffic from a turn lane . . . I saw the hole and I stepped on the pedal and NOTHING for about what seemed like 2 seconds . . then WHAM, I was almost in the bumper of the guy in the front of the hole. To test this again, I stopped in a left turn lane and waited for traffic. I then stepped on the pedal about 1/2 way (or so) . . . . sort of the way you would step on it if you wanted to get across the road because traffic was coming. Now I'm not talking about dangerously shooting out in front of someone, I'm talking about everyday stuff here. Well there it was again . . . the car just sat there . . maybe it creeped a few inches like you were idling and let off the brake, but certainly not GOING. If there had been any oncoming traffic I was planning on beating, they would have had to brake for me. It literally took AT LEAST a full second before moving. Then like the first time, after it's dangerous nap, it surged.

The salesman defended this but he was riding in the back seat. He claimed the car was too new and break-in would cure it. I asked him to drive it himself because I'm really hoping something was out of whack on that car. If that's how they all are, it's enough to make me pass on it. I drove an 05 E320 CDI and a couple of 06's and did NOT notice anything close to that. Sure, it takes a bit for the turbo to kick in but at least the car would MOVE like a normal car at first, then the turbo would make you go "ahhh, nice," and push you back in your seat.

If you don't mind, could you E320 shoppers look out for this and report back here?

Thanks,

F1
Old 11-11-2006, 11:08 PM

Darn...

If this was an older diesel (with at least 20K miles underway) I'd suggest checking fuel filters, adjusting the ALDA, and cleaning the boost lines and switchover valve. Things have gotten more complicated.

I don't know if its the same idea, but once in awhile I'll get a lousy tank of diesel fuel in my 350SD and I can floor the pedal, and the car will creep for 2 - 3 seconds and then the rush of the turbo finally hits. Prior to the turbo rush, it will be spewing out black exhaust smoke. Embarrassing, and unpredictable.

Since none of the above methods worked for me, I think it needs to have its timing advanced (chain stretch factor). I think the CDI's timing is electronically coordinated into its ECU and one can't simply turn an 8mm bolt on the front of the injection pump to adjust the timing.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Harley-Davidson
Frugal1, something is seriously wrong with the '07 you drove. Do you remember how many miles were on it?
If I were you I would take another test drive in a different car.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:02 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by cyclerider
Frugal1, something is seriously wrong with the '07 you drove. Do you remember how many miles were on it?
If I were you I would take another test drive in a different car.

Yes, I am hoping very much there was something wrong with that particular car and yes, I do plan on more test drives. It was brand new with less than 50 miles. It was their only one.

This happened a week ago and I asked the salesman to have it checked and get back to me and he did not. I hope it doesn't look like I'm indicting the car here . . . I'm genuinely concerned . . . . and . . . . I do want one! I'm deciding between this and the ML. I drove the ML 320 CDI about 2 weeks ago. I don't recall experiencing the same thing but I didn't "get on it" the same way either.

Last edited by Frugal1; 11-12-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
RUN away from that car!!!! Who cares if it's the only one on the lot, if it's showing serious problems at 50miles then that's a major sign to look at a different one. Do not look back at it, do not ask them about it, that car should no longer exist in your mind.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Frugal1
Hi All. I was hoping the salesman was going to contact and tell me they found the problem but he has not so now I'm going to post to see if anyone else experienced this:

Very, VERY bad lag. This wasn't just turbo lag, this thing just wouldn't MOVE. For a normal, easy going, not going anywhere in particular take off, you might not notice . . . but on my test drive I was trying to merge into some city traffic from a turn lane . . . I saw the hole and I stepped on the pedal and NOTHING for about what seemed like 2 seconds . . then WHAM, I was almost in the bumper of the guy in the front of the hole. To test this again, I stopped in a left turn lane and waited for traffic. I then stepped on the pedal about 1/2 way (or so) . . . . sort of the way you would step on it if you wanted to get across the road because traffic was coming. Now I'm not talking about dangerously shooting out in front of someone, I'm talking about everyday stuff here. Well there it was again . . . the car just sat there . . maybe it creeped a few inches like you were idling and let off the brake, but certainly not GOING. If there had been any oncoming traffic I was planning on beating, they would have had to brake for me. It literally took AT LEAST a full second before moving. Then like the first time, after it's dangerous nap, it surged.

The salesman defended this but he was riding in the back seat. He claimed the car was too new and break-in would cure it. I asked him to drive it himself because I'm really hoping something was out of whack on that car. If that's how they all are, it's enough to make me pass on it. I drove an 05 E320 CDI and a couple of 06's and did NOT notice anything close to that. Sure, it takes a bit for the turbo to kick in but at least the car would MOVE like a normal car at first, then the turbo would make you go "ahhh, nice," and push you back in your seat.

If you don't mind, could you E320 shoppers look out for this and report back here?

Thanks,

F1

Ours (2007 E320 Bluetec with about 1800 miles so far) has never done what you describe. Was the setting at "comfort" or "sport" - the former reportedly starts in second gear and feels quite sluggish to me. I must admit that I'm still getting used to the diesel/turbo experience. Not surprisingly, off the line not at all like my previous S4 and current 997S. Still very pleased so far.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
I checked at the time and it was on sport. The salesman keeps insisting there is nothing wrong with the car. I'm glad to hear yours is fine. I'm going to have to do more test drives. There were 4 adults in the car . . . I didn't mention that earlier because I still feel that shouldn't matter but who knows!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Banned

4 adults= 400-800lbs. That's enough to make a significant effect on acceleration.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:50 AM

What you experienced isn't right. I don't care what the sales rep says. If the wheels fell off, he'd probably tell you it was normal. Drive one that's right, and you'll know it.

One thing that comes to mind is that these cars "adapt" to their driver's driving habits. Maybe it has had such a short time and a varied style of driving that the adaptation is off. There's a way to reset it, but I can't remember offhand what it is. I suggest posting this question in the E-Class (W211) forum because there's a lot more traffic there.

Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
4 adults= 400-800lbs. That's enough to make a significant effect on acceleration.
I'm not so sure I agree with this... NORMALLY you at least have one or two people in the car, so you're only looking at a 200-400 lb differential. I just don't think you're going to feel that in a car that produces nearly 400 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:04 PM

1987 Mercedes 300 SDL
Find a different dealer and drive another CDI. I tested one last week and it didn't have the acceleration problems that you talked about. I don't drive like Schumacher, but I will punch it to merge or pass, so I did this during my test drive and the '07 reaction time was right on. Test another car as soon as you can before giving up on the CDI. Ordering mine the first of next week.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Talbot
I'm not so sure I agree with this... NORMALLY you at least have one or two people in the car, so you're only looking at a 200-400 lb differential. I just don't think you're going to feel that in a car that produces nearly 400 ft-lbs of torque.
Put 400lbs of sand bags in your trunk and see if you can feel a difference.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Quality control?

First of all, the car absolutely is not right. It should accelerate normally. I bet that when you test drive another one, it will be fine. My problem is why a car with only 50 miles on it, is exhibiting these problems. I am sensing that there might be slippage in MB Quality Control.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:05 AM

Why would you assume it is a quality control slippage before considering something like the adaptive transmission having adapted to a different driving habit for the first 50 miles?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 AM

08 E320 Bluetec
It didn't feel like tranny slippage at all. It didn't seem like normal turbo lag either. It seemed to me like a computer issue. . . sort of like the goverment was involved in the communication between my pedal and the fuel delivery . . . the pedal sent a request which was denied because it was on the wrong form and not in triplicate.

I'm going back to the dealer in the next couple of days and I'll report my findings. I'm going to drive whatever CDI or Bluetec I can find. They have several R320's there and I'll be sure to try one of those too.

The theory posted here I like the best was the adaptive tranny no knowing what to do with so few miles. That potentially fits with the salesman insisting the car was fine (I know this guy for 2 years now and I trust him).

I'll report back soon.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Harley-Davidson
. . . The theory posted here I like the best was the adaptive tranny no knowing what to do with so few miles. . .
The transmission will learn your driving style and will adapt to it over a period of time. The transmission will then select its shift points based on your driving habits. A lead foot driver will teach the transmission to allow the engine to rev higher before shifting, and a gentle driver will teach the transmission to shift at a lower, more fuel efficient RPM. THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH THE CAR YOU DROVE! There is no way that a brand new transmission has to be "taught" how to operate properly. They work just fine right out of the factory.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Any Bluetec diesel heads on this board??

It didn't feel like tranny slippage at all. It didn't seem like normal turbo lag either. It seemed to me like a computer issue. . . sort of like the goverment was involved in the communication between my pedal and the fuel delivery . . . the pedal sent a request which was denied because it was on the wrong form and not in triplicate.

I'm going back to the dealer in the next couple of days and I'll report my findings. I'm going to drive whatever CDI or Bluetec I can find. They have several R320's there and I'll be sure to try one of those too.

The theory posted here I like the best was the adaptive tranny no knowing what to do with so few miles. That potentially fits with the salesman insisting the car was fine (I know this guy for 2 years now and I trust him).

I'll report back soon.

Dear All,

It seems there are not that many late model diesel heads here. I am on the verge of trading in my 1999 E55 for a Bluetec or 2006 in line six diesel. I am very apprehensive of the newer diesel because of the enormous amount of technology involved (3 filters to replace, cats that can be poisoned by spent engine oil and other goodies existing diesel engines can burn). I understand that things will get worse when MB panders to the Peoples Republic of California rules with its Ad-Blue. All done in the name of tree hugging goodness.

I am thinking from the perspective of a car owner who drives a car with less than 3% of the North American market. Why are they persecuting diesel drivers? I suppose when all vehicles are zero emission they will think of new ways to further "save" mother ****er, I meant mother earth.

My ambition: live long and drive a black smoke blowing diesel.

Any new Bluetec owners here? Please let me know if there are 210 horses and 400 torque (Pound Foot) under the hood
Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Road & Track Magazine Comments

Douglas Kott writes about the '07 E320 Bluetec in the current (12/06) issue of Road & Track:

"So what's the downside? Well, it accelerates nicely, but the throttle response seems a little muddy, with a lot of pedal travel required to get the desired result."

Could what you experienced be a characteristic of this car?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Really?

I've got that R and T also.

Do you notice that very same thing with your 2005 CDI? I'll bet not!

Have you observed that these magazine types always say something like that?

I rest my case!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM

2007 E320 Bluetec
Bluetec Problem

I just purchased the 2007 Bluetec and have about 2500 miles. I absolutely love this car and believe that the technology is the future. The engine is quiet and the torque is excellent.

However, there is a transmission problem which MB is currently working on fixing. I learned this after advising MB that the gears shift back and forth into 1rst and 2nd when starting out. For those interested the MB Bulletin is "P-B-27.00/87" which says M is investigating the cold 1-2 shift quality and not to replace any parts at this time. However, I have noticed the shift problem when the engine is cold or warm. At this point I am still very happy with the vehicle and hope MB stands behind its dedication to quality by quickly determining the problem and correcting it as this car is an expensive car. Other than the shift quality this car meets all other expectations.

What surprises me is that MB has not yet been able to figure this problem out.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:54 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by NewBluetecOwner
What surprises me is that MB has not yet been able to figure this problem out.
Sorry to hear that and it surprises me too. Here's a copy of the TSB you mention.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...-87/index.html
Old 12-03-2006, 07:27 PM

2007 E320 Bluetec
E320 Bluetec Problem

Thanks for the bulletin. I wonder if MB techs or MB review these posts to provide any insight or if anyone has any ideas on the cause of/solution to this problem. One can only wonder if there is damage being done to the clutch or other internal components.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Is this a problem with all 7-G transmissions?

Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Sorry to hear that and it surprises me too. Here's a copy of the TSB you mention.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...-87/index.html
What is DTB? Is this the Bluetec transmission or all 7-Gs?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:30 AM

MBs
Originally Posted by harkgar
What is DTB? Is this the Bluetec transmission or all 7-Gs?
DTB = Dealer Technical Bulletin

Concerns: model 211.022 = E320 BLUETEC
Old 12-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Talking Meanwhile . . .

Why not try using the "C" mode and see how you like that?

That "C" position tells the computer to not allow the tranny to use first gear
at all, and therefore the problem will be, at least, temporarily solved.

BTW, I have found that many cars do not seem to like that position when backing
up on any kind of an incline, so switch it back to "S" before doing so.

Try it, you may like it!

Originally Posted by NewBluetecOwner
Thanks for the bulletin. I wonder if MB techs or MB review these posts to provide any insight or if anyone has any ideas on the cause of/solution to this problem. One can only wonder if there is damage being done to the clutch or other internal components.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Question I Wonder . . .

One might wonder if the problems listed in Dealer Technical Bulletins
T-27-60-68E and P-27-00-87 are not somehow related?

I guess time will tell. Seems like I have been reading of these problems for some time now!

Good luck, and keepth us posted please.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Test drove '07 E320 Bluetec - problem