Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 Turbo Diesel Auto Est
Wink E300 diesel info reqd

Hello, I hope someone can help!

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/645/shake8xb.jpg
For some time I have had the problem outlined in this copy of Technical Tips, link posted above. It took me some time to find it as no one else seemed to know how to fix the problem!
I have had my fuel injection system including the Bosch FI pump, completly overhauled and it has no faults.

I have a friend who has a contact who works for Mercedes In England and has access to their parts computer. He stated that the part number indicated had been changed and that 05 at the end indicated a recall!

Armed with this information I went to my local Mercedes main dealer service department. I was told that the part number was an American number and not relavent in Britain and that there was no equivalent ECU update.
I am a little confused. Is there anyone who knows or works for Mercedes who can confirm that part numbers are different in the USA or can tell me how to get the equivalent ECU in this country (GB).

There must be someone reading this who knows the answer. I am getting desperate and appear to be banging my head against a brick wall.

Thanks John.

Last edited by comfort zone; 11-20-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:01 PM

e300d
John, I still have to question whether USA and UK cars would use the same software due to regional laws, emmisions gear and local requirements. So, we've had an issue identified in the USA and that same problem may not extend to UK/Eurore.

It does seem odd that nobody has heard of it over there. You must have a much larger population of turbo 606 engines as we had them in 1998/99 only. I suspect less than 10,000 cars were sent to the USA. I would think the UK/Euro population would be far higher, no?

Were you still going to make an attempt at contacting the lads in Germany about this?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM

I agree that there will be differences between the softwear, but the problem identified appears the same.

Hopefully I will have more information and perhaps a idea of who to contact after I attend my local MB main dealer for a full diagnostic check tomorrow afternoon.

John
Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 PM

e300d
Excellent. I'll be very interested in hearing what you learn as I have a vested interest, too.

Good luck and be certain to have a copy of the brief article
Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Excellent. I'll be very interested in hearing what you learn as I have a vested interest, too.

Good luck and be certain to have a copy of the brief article
Thanks, I intend to. With any luck I will be able to persuade them to the enquiries for me!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 PM

Had the test done on the "Diagnosis Assistance System". The results were inconclusive!

There were many stored faults that showed up, mainly alarm activations from spider problems!

There were however 3 activations under the heading Electronic transmission control, which could be relavent, their codes were 124, 132 and 135. If you wish I can give a full explanation of these as shown on the data print out.

All the codes were cleared so that there were none now recorded. I now need to take the car back to be tested again when the "fault manifests again"! That won't be long as it did it on the way home!

John
Old 11-21-2006, 02:10 PM

e300d
That's a shame. Are they able/willing to go on a road test with you?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 PM

That's a shame. Are they able/willing to go on a road test with you?
Possibly, but not untill after the diagnosis test. At any rate, if their machine shows no faults, then they say there are no faults!
Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 PM

e300d
Problem is, can the diagnostic tester detect something it may not be programmed to look for
Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 PM

Problem is, can the diagnostic tester detect something it may not be programmed to look for
I do not expect the diagnostic tester to find any faults. The problem only occurs when the engine is hot, it is a glitch rather than a fault, but one that has been identified in the USA and a remedy found, at least as far as Stu Ritter is concerned but very few others!

I think I will be writing to MB, and I do not think they will agree there is a "fault" unless their diagnostic machine shows one. It is very difficult to speak to anyone who understands how engine systems work. They rely on computers, not the experience of their predecessors who were true engineers. These people are not skilled, they just read computers!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:29 AM

e300d
Originally Posted by comfort zone
These people are not skilled, they just read computers!!
Well said. And we're all victims of it..whether MBz or VAG, it's a widespread concern.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:52 AM

Well said. And we're all victims of it..whether MBz or VAG, it's a widespread concern.
Yes we are. I know I was a lot younger in the 60s & 70s, but I used to do all my own repairs and services, parts were easier to come by, there was plenty of advice from people who had done the repair themselves. Now repairs arn't made, parts are fitted! Shame.

As you and I are the only ones communicating on this subject you could email me initially on xpcessex@hotmail.co.uk
John.