Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel shut-off for 240 diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel shut-off for 240 diesel

Not familiar with how the fuel shut-off for the 240 diesel works. Is it with vacuum, and if so, where is it. I have no fuel getting to the injectors and all timing is correct so I'm thinking it might be the shutdown system. Can anyone help?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
It's located on the back of the injection pump. It will have a brown plastic vacuum tube going to it. Just remove the tube and you will disable it.

Have you changed the fuel filters? Is there fuel in the primary filter? Is there fuel in the tank (Stupid question but I've seen it before)?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:35 PM

I just rebuilt the engine and ensured that everything is timed right from the crank, cam and injection pump. I have double checked this and primed the fuel system completely-no air in the system, but I'm getting no fuel to the injectors. I suspect this is a problem with the fuel shutoff but am not familiar with the vacuum control shutoff. Can anyone take me to school on this one? Is there a way to manually overide this or even test it? A
ny help will be greatly appreciated.
uteoat
Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM

OK I changed and primed the filter and even changed the primer pump because it was leaking. I have double and triple checked that the fuel system is primed yet I'm getting no fuel to the injectors.
Are these fuel systems extremely hard to prime?
Are there any tricks that I should know about? I'm just learning the Mercedes diesel and do love the 240D.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks ,
uteoat
Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Pump the primer about 50 times and crank for about 30 seconds.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 C400, 03' C240, '79 240D
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
Pump the primer about 50 times and crank for about 30 seconds.
I dunno if this helps but my parents have a '79 240D in Portugal and 2 summers ago the fuel filter kept getting clogged which starved the motor. After replacing the fuel filter - in order to start the car we had to manually pump/push the diesel. There should be a black *** on the right side of the engine which i believe you just pump up and down (not sure but u may have to unscrew it and then pump for quite a bit)
Maybe cuz its 2:30am but i cannot find the *** for the life of me...hopefully this pic will give you a general indication of where it is.
Excuse the dirtyness of the engine in the pic but my dad likes to slober it with WD-40 to keep mold, rust and rodents away during the 11months of storage.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails fuel shut-off for 240 diesel-img_0594.jpg  
Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM

OK, I'm going to try to prime it some more. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it works.
Thanks,
uteoat
Old 05-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Ok, I have primed it until my hand hurts. I have used a secondary source of vacuum to check the shutdown and can hear it actuating. I have checked the vacuum lines going to the shutdown and it sucks (like it's suppose to). I tried to start it for 30 seconds and gave it a few minutes rest in between so the starter could cool and repeated this cycle about 10 times. I did notice a little smoke coming out the exhaust (not black like I had hoped) more of a light grey color. The timing on the injection pump is set to 24 degrees
BTDC ( I've checked it twice). I checked the fuel commencement using the one drop per second method, and I'm still not making smoke.
The car was running in february with excessive blow-by, that is when I removed the engine and rebuilt it. One worry that I have is that the injection pump seals may have gone bad, but want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I have it rebuilt and find out that it was not the problem.

All help has been greatly appreciated, but right now I don't know if I'm looking for a miracle cure or if I'm just avoiding the inevitable (the injection pump).
Please Help!
Thanks for all the help so far.
uteoat