Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 240D is comatose - seized engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My 240D is comatose - seized engine?

Oh, this is a sad post. My 1982 240D is having engine problems. Well, maybe that's only if "possible death" counts as a "problem." I fear it has seized, but either way, it won't start. To add guilt to anguish, I am afraid the reason it may have seized is that I have been driving many miles (big commutes lately) without remembering to check the oil. There is an oil leak, which may have been worse than I thought, because the engine began to screech and, as I moved to pull over, cut out. Well, then I remembered to check the oil - it was dry.

Now, I am no mechanic - I just try, and apparently fail, to pay attention. When my engine cut out, a couple things struck me as odd:
1 - this happened immediately after filling my tank with diesel. coincidence?
2 - I added some oil at the side of the highway and the car started for a moment - the engine actually did go. Since then, as I have naively used the starter to see if my car would turn over (now I hear that is a bad plan if the engine is seized - arrgh) - it's a no-go - it actually behaves similarly to when it had a totally clogged fuel line. It coughed a tiny bit, but pretty much does nothing. Can it do that if it's seized?

Well, is there any hope, do you think? I'm trying to decide whether to (a) do something myself to see if I can get it going, (b) take it in to my friendly mechanic (I'm broke), or (c) cash in my chips and give up on my beloved 240D. Any advice would be extremely appreciated - as to what the problem is, and what, if anything, I can do. As I said I'm not a car mechanic, but I'm handy and have a basic grip on things and am willing to give it a shot. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Rip

Originally Posted by egon82
Oh, this is a sad post. My 1982 240D is having engine problems. Well, maybe that's only if "possible death" counts as a "problem." I fear it has seized, but either way, it won't start. To add guilt to anguish, I am afraid the reason it may have seized is that I have been driving many miles (big commutes lately) without remembering to check the oil. There is an oil leak, which may have been worse than I thought, because the engine began to screech and, as I moved to pull over, cut out. Well, then I remembered to check the oil - it was dry.

Now, I am no mechanic - I just try, and apparently fail, to pay attention. When my engine cut out, a couple things struck me as odd:
1 - this happened immediately after filling my tank with diesel. coincidence?
2 - I added some oil at the side of the highway and the car started for a moment - the engine actually did go. Since then, as I have naively used the starter to see if my car would turn over (now I hear that is a bad plan if the engine is seized - arrgh) - it's a no-go - it actually behaves similarly to when it had a totally clogged fuel line. It coughed a tiny bit, but pretty much does nothing. Can it do that if it's seized?

Well, is there any hope, do you think? I'm trying to decide whether to (a) do something myself to see if I can get it going, (b) take it in to my friendly mechanic (I'm broke), or (c) cash in my chips and give up on my beloved 240D. Any advice would be extremely appreciated - as to what the problem is, and what, if anything, I can do. As I said I'm not a car mechanic, but I'm handy and have a basic grip on things and am willing to give it a shot. Thanks.
You are incredible torturing your beloved 240D to death. All engines, gasoline or diesel, will die if treated that way.

Give her a decent burial.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only way to tell is to do a compression test (with oil in the engine, of course). IT will tell you immediately whether or not you need a rebuild.

In case it's dead, a good mechanic may buy it (for very little) to rebuilt himself and sell.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
The only way to tell is to do a compression test (with oil in the engine, of course). IT will tell you immediately whether or not you need a rebuild.

In case it's dead, a good mechanic may buy it (for very little) to rebuilt himself and sell.
Thanks for the practical advice. I may be able to do the compression test, and see what the damage is - thanks. You think it really was a coincidence that this happened like a mile after filling up the tank? I'd never been to that station before. (probably, yes: it was a coincidence...)
Old 06-20-2007, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, it probably was a coincidence. Good luck on the compression test.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Well, maybe there's good news for me after all. I changed the fuel filter, and now it runs. NOW I'm trying to get it to run *well*, but I'm excited that it the engine actually runs. Phew.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:50 PM

Take care of your car. When no oil is displayed on the dipstick, it means you are down at least 2.1 quarts.

You are very lucky to have it running. An oil leak must be extremely severe to lose oil that quickly (pooling up beneath your car everytime you park... a few drops of oil expand greatly once they hit pavement).

If an engine was ever truly seized, you can use a product called Marvel Mystery Oil to get it unstuck. Just squirt a little into each of the combustion chambers, let it sit overnight, and try cranking in the morning (its an awesome penetration oil and will make it through the rings. MMO has been a proven product for 80 + years).
Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
it is a miracle

Originally Posted by DslBnz
Take care of your car. When no oil is displayed on the dipstick, it means you are down at least 2.1 quarts.

You are very lucky to have it running. An oil leak must be extremely severe to lose oil that quickly (pooling up beneath your car everytime you park... a few drops of oil expand greatly once they hit pavement).

If an engine was ever truly seized, you can use a product called Marvel Mystery Oil to get it unstuck. Just squirt a little into each of the combustion chambers, let it sit overnight, and try cranking in the morning (its an awesome penetration oil and will make it through the rings. MMO has been a proven product for 80 + years).
I read about this stuff too but fortunately never had to try it.